Week 4 Thoughts and Observations

Tom Kessenich

Week 4 Thoughts and Observations

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:28 am

Here are some random thoughts and observations about this week's action as I wonder if Matt Flynn's career is over.

You just get the feeling Peyton Manning is toying with the rest of the NFL right now. Is there anyone who honestly doubts the Broncos could put up 50+ points against any team they face? It's definitely not smart to hand out the Super Bowl trophy to anyone in September but what team in the league has the defense to slow Denver down and the offense to keep up with the Broncos on the scoreboard?

Instant replay didn't work? Seriously, Atlanta?

It took a month but Tom Brady is back to Must Start QB1 status.

It was just a matter of time before Tony Gonzalez got it done. He's still a terrific talent and the TE position remains putrid this season so hopefully you hung in there with him.

Joe Flacco and Eli Manning are former Super Bowl MVPs. I just wanted to remind everyone of that since it might've been easily forgotten watching the two of them play on Sunday.

Are the Ravens the least impressive defending Super Bowl champion in history? Just asking.

Five touches for Ray Rice. That's some good coaching right there.

You impressed no one this week, Andy Dalton. No one.

So Robert Griffin III puts up good to great numbers in the first three games of the season and the Redskins lose all three. Then in Week 4 he faces his best matchup of the season, has his least productive game of the year and Washington wins. Figures.

Congratulations to everyone who had Sept. 29 as the date when Darren McFadden would get hurt. To those of you who picked a later day, don't despair, McFadden will get hurt again.

CJ Spiller hurt. Fred Jackson hurt. Next man up - Tashard Choice. Yup, that'll be a lot of fun to watch on Thursday night.

If the last two weeks are any indication, maybe everything in Cleveland was Trent Richardson's fault after all.

Jordan Cameron. Wow.

For all the NFL GMs who are loathe to use free agency to address clear areas of need I present to you Reggie Bush, Detroit Lions. Yeah, that's how you do it.

I have no idea what to make of Alex Smith. I didn't think he played all that well against the Giants but when the dust settled there was 288 yards and 3 TDs. I still don't trust him to lead a team to a Super Bowl championship but with that defense plus Jamaal Charles maybe he can get the job done. Maybe.

Arian Foster's not dead yet folks. I've been trying to tell people that for awhile now.

That was a man's catch you made along the sidelines late in the game, Julio Jones. Wow.

I think it's time to be officially concerned about Doug Martin. He's still a terrific talent and you have to think better days are forthcoming but 27 carries for 45 yards? Yikes.

It's probably all over but the crying for Maurice Jones-Drew too.

It came as no surprise to me that Matt Cassel gave the Vikings a lift on offense. He's very erratic but when he's composed and playing smart he's much better than Christian Ponder.

Wait, Lindsay Lohan has a reality show? I hate reality TV but I am so watching that.

Sorry, back to football.

I needed a wide receiver in my top league for Vincent Jackson this week and the two guys at the top of my list were Mohamed Sanu and Ryan Broyles (I ended up getting Sanu). Two guys I quickly dismissed were Alshon Jeffrey and Nate Washington. That worked out well.

I said before the start of the season that Ryan Fitzpatrick was the best backup quarterback in the NFL and he was perfect in the short-term because he would win some games for you. Over time, though, you can't trust him because his flaws become increasingly apparent. I guess we'll find out how smart I am about him now.

So the Rams deactivated Isaiah Pead for their Week 4 matchup against the 49ers because they planned to give Tavon Austin more carries in the backfield. Then they didn't bother to give Austin a single rushing attempt. Yeah, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that was rather poorly done.

Guess you haven't quite solved your Red Zone issues, huh Dallas?

Antonio Gates. Pretty spry for an old guy.

Throughout the offseason I was baffled as to why more people weren't targeting Reggie Wayne. Yes he's getting up there in age but he still runs great routes, has great hands and has a stud young quarterback throwing him the ball. What's not to like? Congratulations those who drafted him. You got yourselves a nice bargain.

That's not how you finish a game, Houston. Just sayin.

27 carries for 45 yards for Doug Martin? Yikes.

The Jets don't have much going for them but their run defense is legit. If you're starting a running back against them lower your expectations unless the guy is an elite talent. Even then he's gonna be in for a rough day.

Russell Wilson passed for 123 yards and won. Matt Ryan threw for 421 and lost. Crazy game this NFL is.

And lastly, a teary-eyed goodbye to Walter White. What a ride it was. Sundays will never be the same without you.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Chi_Town_FEW

Re: Week 4 Thoughts and Observations

Post by Chi_Town_FEW » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:54 am

"Russell Wilson passed for 123 yards and won. Matt Ryan threw for 421 and lost. Crazy game this NFL is."

Started Wilson over Ryan in a league I was 0-3 in. Yea, stupid, the 15 points more for Ryan would not have helped. But my take here with Wilson is he is such a winner. A lot like Elway, great real life QB, not winning you anything in fantasy. Just love rooting for him because so many teams passed on him because they thought he was to short or could not get it done.

Sack

Post by Sack » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:14 am

Instant replay didn't work? Seriously, Atlanta?

I found this one interesting because it was the Home Team with the equipment not functioning on a call against
them. Does the NFL operate this system? Any idea. Are the NFL people at the mercy of the Home Team? It was kinda
cool in that it happened to Belichek. Shortly after, the announcers mentioned the replay system was now functioning.
Wonder if the NFL has anything in place for these circumstances? Didn't seem fair, although I thought Julio made the
catch despite the challenge.

One of the reasons I bring this up is that IF the home team has any control of this equipment, I'd almost bet later
in the season some team is going to get a raw deal on a replay when they visit New England. Belichek has a reputation
for this video stuff if my memory serves.

Russell Wilson's run to keep a drive alive while down 14 points in the 4th Quarter will get overlooked, but that guy
has convinced me he is simply a winner. Schaub, on the other hand, displayed why he is just the opposite. After pounding
the ball and working the clock he decides to go across the field while falling down in order to pick up a first down? Really?
He isn't a rookie, has to go down as bonehead play of the season. Going to be hard to top. Brutal.

Phillip Rivers childish actions on the field some times take away from his play. But man, he has been a huge surprise
this season so far. Chargers are much more competitive than I could have imagined. They have been a fun team to watch.

JETS SB

Post by JETS SB » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:19 pm

Geno Smith just committed another turnover

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:36 pm

I think the Jets need to stay committed to Smith. They drafted him to be the long-term QB. They don't have a viable alternative (I'd argue even if Sanchez was healthy he's no longer viable). They need to ride this all out and see what he can become. It's not like they have a wealth of offensive weapons around him. They arguably have the worst collection of skill position players in the league.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Money

Post by Money » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:43 pm

The Detroit Lions are one pass interference call from being 4-0. They played the game they lost without Bush in the second half. He is certainly making them go right now. It will be an interesting trip to Lambeua Field next week for them.

Go Lions!!
Joe

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:55 pm

Calvin Johnson absolutely owns the Packers. Now you include Bush too? I hope Rodgers is ready to score about 40. He may need to.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

bald is beautiful

Post by bald is beautiful » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:03 pm

Tom Kessenich wrote: I have no idea what to make of Alex Smith. I didn't think he played all that well against the Giants but when the dust settled there was 288 yards and 3 TDs. I still don't trust him to lead a team to a Super Bowl championship but with that defense plus Jamaal Charles maybe he can get the job done. Maybe.
Almost no chance for the Super Bowl. Captain Checkdown won't throw downfield.

He is just a spot play for fantasy, at best. Yesterday was definitely one of those days against a terrible Giants' defense. Interestingly for fantasy, however, his weeks 11-16 are all fantastic matchups for him including two garbage time point games against Denver and against a poor San Diego defense, all in weeks 11-13.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:07 pm

I'm not a Smith guy either. Way too reluctant to attack a defense. I think that type of play can take you to a certain point but unless your defense is extraordinary I don't think it can elevate your team to championship status.

The matchups against the Broncos should be real interesting. Those would appear to be games where Smith will be forced to be more aggressive but will he? Can he?
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

ForLoveOfTheGame

Post by ForLoveOfTheGame » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:20 pm

I have a few leagues where I drafted Tony Gonzalez then followed him up later with Cameron and Julius Thomas late. This week I finally decided I had to bench Tony G since the other two were averaging about 2.5 times more than him and he was playing the #1 D against TEs. Shows you what I know, SIGH. :(

As for the Lions, I've seen pretty much every snap of them since they drafted Calvin. They look good but I just feel like Stafford needs to work on his mechanics more or study more or something. I'm obviously a huge fan of him but he always misses a few easy throws every week, it drives me crazy! Any team that has Kris Durham playing this much I just can't take for real lol! Trade for Flash Detroit!!!