Will The NFL Add MORE Thursday Night Games?

Money

Re: Will The NFL Add MORE Thursday Night Games?

Post by Money » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:06 am

Greg Ambrosius wrote:World Series Game 2 last night drew 3 times as many viewers as the Thursday NFL Game between the Panthers and Bucs. Hell, I couldn't even watch that game anymore and my remote constantly went to the baseball game. The Monday Night Game from this week and the Thursday Night Game did NOTHING to expand the NFL fan base, that's for sure.
From a Fantasy perspective, the only thing worth watching was Cam Newton and garbage time. I would think that the World Series would significantly out draw a Thursday night game regardless of the match up. Although, Tim McCarver is a good reason for watching some of the football game :D
Joe

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:17 pm

Money wrote:
Greg Ambrosius wrote:World Series Game 2 last night drew 3 times as many viewers as the Thursday NFL Game between the Panthers and Bucs. Hell, I couldn't even watch that game anymore and my remote constantly went to the baseball game. The Monday Night Game from this week and the Thursday Night Game did NOTHING to expand the NFL fan base, that's for sure.
From a Fantasy perspective, the only thing worth watching was Cam Newton and garbage time. I would think that the World Series would significantly out draw a Thursday night game regardless of the match up. Although, Tim McCarver is a good reason for watching some of the football game :D
I totally agree with you, but there were just over 3 million viewers tuned to last night's football game on The NFL Network compared to over 9 million for the World Series. Compare that number to what ESPN's Darren Rovell just tweeted out about the NFL's other nights: "Thru week 7, NFL games averaging 17.1 million viewers per game, up 6% vs. last year. 16 games w/ 20m+ viewers."

If we're going through all the trouble to make players and teams play on Thursday Night, let's at least get it on a network where more viewers are tuning in.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:49 pm

I still hate the Thursday Night Games, but I have to admit that these last 3 or 4 have actually been very entertaining, high-scoring and even very relevant and productive for fantasy owners. After several seasons of clunkers and a few clunker early games this year, the Thursday Night Games have actually been -- dare I say it -- entertaining.

Now don't go crazy NFL and expand to Wednesdays or anything like that, but kudos to the teams over the last month. They've put on a good show and kept me tuned in, just when I was getting tired of these stupid Thursday games. You are allowed to continue them, but only one game at a time, no Thursday doubleheaders. ;)
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius