Injuries

Sandman62

Re: Injuries

Post by Sandman62 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:23 pm

I hear ya Billy. I haven't researched it, but I would think grass might give, whereas on turf the foot stays planted and the next joint up gives. What a shame if that's true, just to save some maintenance bucks. :roll:
Last edited by Sandman62 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:28 pm

Of, after 3 minutes of exhaustive research, maybe I'm onto something? :P
"So if you are in the wrong position, because your leg doesn't give way as it does on grass, it can distribute that force to your knee and cause an injury," he said.
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/04/3 ... han-grass/

dabird777

Post by dabird777 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:38 am

BillyWaz wrote:
Sandman62 wrote:Just curious, is the new field turf safer or worse than natural grass?
Reggie Wayne would like to put in a vote for "worse".
What I think Reggie would've really like to put in a vote for, was to have a QB who could hit the broad side of a @#$@ing barn if he was standing right next to it.

It's really amazing how Luck can look like Brandon Weeden so much, and still pull so many games out of his ass. He must have blackmail on God or something.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:04 am

The injury list has depleted the available player pool so much that the Rams actually called agent Bus Cook about Brett Favre. Man, seeing Favre in a Rams' uniform would be like seeing Johnny Unitas in a Chargers' uniform. Bad ending.

Thankfully, Favre got back in the spotlight without actually returning. His ego was stroked and he didn't even have to get beat up in an NFL game to do it. Win-win.

See the story here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ear ... port-says/
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

BONGIZMO

Post by BONGIZMO » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:32 am

Shows the sad state of Qbs in the NFL when they actually are looking at 44 year old legends who have been out of the game for several years? Also explains why Cutler will still likely garner 20 mil a year without having coming close to actually winning a title....just sayin.

Scott
Never do card tricks for the people you play poker with.

Team Legacy

Post by Team Legacy » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:22 pm

In a $375 Draft Champions that I was in the Top 3 in scoring, I lost ALL 3 QBS in Week 7 and my RB1, Doug Martin. This is after recently losing Julio. How crazy is that?

OUT:
Jay Cutler
Sam Bradford
Josh Freeman
Doug Martin
Julio Jones
Twitter: @ScottFantasy

renman

Post by renman » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:35 pm

***RADICAL THOUGHT***

We all obviously hate the injury part of fantasy football. It is my assumption that most serious or high stake fantasy football players are very plugged into the games as they are played. Most in these fantasy circles are not setting their lineups on a Saturday and embarking on their weekend and then half watch football only to check their teams stats Sunday at 5pm. I do understand millions of recreational fantasy players do play that way and that is fine. This point is for the ultra serious fantasy player.

Would there be any interest in a league that allowed live, in game, real time transactions? For instance, your RB rolls an ankle in the second quarter. You immediately pull him from your lineup and put in another player from your bench. Everything is in real time so the moment the move is made you accrue stats generated by the replacement player. Would a league or format like that be fun?

It could lessen the pain of injuries while adding another element to draft strategy and also would be fun for those who are deeply engaged in every play of every game I am not advocating we do this. I am not even saying it would be possible. I certainly would not think this could work in main stream games or main events. Just wondering if the idea is that outlandish. Curious as to if anyone will have a thought.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:36 am

Does anyone wonder why there are so many devastating injuries in the pro game this year and yet fewer similar injuries in the college game? I mean, think about it, look at all the college games this weekend and for the most part throughout much of this year, and you aren't seeing the superstars going down in the college game like you do in the pro game. You also don't have all of these hamstring, groin, abdominal injuries in the college game that you're seeing in the pro game.

Maybe it's an unusual year, but there's something about the NFL that is so unlike what you're seeing anywhere else. It's a physical sport, I get that, and there are injuries in high school and college. But the NFL is losing major superstars each week on big hits, but also on non-hits. What is it about the NFL that is causing all of these injuries? Just bigger athletes and bigger collisions? More inside plays and thus more inside collisions?

I don't have the answers, but when people are asking for radical answers to change the game maybe it's not the game itself. Maybe it's the way the NFL is playing it. I don't know, but the college game isn't seeing the same number of injuries, whereas the NFL has 192 players on IR in Week 7 compared to 100 last year at this time. Something's not right.

Carry on, but if you have any answers let us know. Maybe I'm off base with the comparison of the NFL to college injuries, but you're not seeing college players being carted off like we are in the NFL. Something is going on here that hopefully changes.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:54 am

Greg Ambrosius wrote:Does anyone wonder why there are so many devastating injuries in the pro game this year and yet fewer similar injuries in the college game? I mean, think about it, look at all the college games this weekend and for the most part throughout much of this year, and you aren't seeing the superstars going down in the college game like you do in the pro game. You also don't have all of these hamstring, groin, abdominal injuries in the college game that you're seeing in the pro game.

Maybe it's an unusual year, but there's something about the NFL that is so unlike what you're seeing anywhere else. It's a physical sport, I get that, and there are injuries in high school and college. But the NFL is losing major superstars each week on big hits, but also on non-hits. What is it about the NFL that is causing all of these injuries? Just bigger athletes and bigger collisions? More inside plays and thus more inside collisions?

I don't have the answers, but when people are asking for radical answers to change the game maybe it's not the game itself. Maybe it's the way the NFL is playing it. I don't know, but the college game isn't seeing the same number of injuries, whereas the NFL has 192 players on IR in Week 7 compared to 100 last year at this time. Something's not right.

Carry on, but if you have any answers let us know. Maybe I'm off base with the comparison of the NFL to college injuries, but you're not seeing college players being carted off like we are in the NFL. Something is going on here that hopefully changes.
Performance enhancers......period.

I think there are so many ways to mask these in the NFL, but I am sure it is costly. I don't think nearly as many use them in the college game due to cost, and the many of the stars in college can dominate at that level without an "advantage". Not saying that they aren't used in college, just not near the amount as in the pros.

When you have millions of dollars and know others are using "stuff" to be bigger, stronger, faster, etc. and aren't getting caught, why wouldn't you use it too? I think it performance enhancers put a strain on tendons, muscles, bones, etc. which causes these body parts to "break down" easier.

Just my opinion. ;)

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:07 am

I was kind of hinting the same thing Billy. I was terrible at physics, but I do think you're seeing too big taking place in the NFL and you're not seeing this in college or pro or high school or grade school. It's not the game itself, but something about the NFL is different and is causing more injuries than ever before.

You said it, I didn't. ;)