incognito

KenGill

Re: incognito

Post by KenGill » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:21 pm

Plain and simple, this is "A Few Good Men'" in real life. In the movie they tried to toughen up Pvt. William Santiago by ordering the code red. The hazing went bad and the higher ups tried cover it up and go on with life. But they were caught. Same thing here, the coaching staff is responsible for this and they will pay the price just like Col. Jessup did. This will cost them their jobs.
I never lost a game. I only ran out of time. Bobby Layne
Kid....if you're going to make it in this league, you're going to have to learn to drink. Bobby Layne

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:10 pm

Given the support and comments he's had from teammates today, this is looking more like an issue of being taken out of context. A white guy using this language among a group of black friends is different from Paula Deen or a bunch skinheads using it, whether the rest of society agrees with it or not. Still stupid, of course, but he's not very bright to begin with.

You don't hang out with a guy and appear to be "best friends" if you truly think he's a racist that threatened your family (unless the "friends" story was concocted to protect the franchise). Martin is a smart guy, which leads me to wonder if he saved that voicemail for an eventual exit/lawsuit threat against MIA and the NFL --- when he in fact may have well known it was not in the context in which he is acting that it is now. Maybe the NFL was just too hard for him and he'd rather walk away with a nice settlement. I'd bet Incognito is more likely to be a Dolphin again than is Martin.

ChiTwn

Post by ChiTwn » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:34 pm

kjduke wrote:I'd bet Incognito is more likely to be a Dolphin again than is Martin.
A "ranking club source" tells the Miami Herald LG Richie Incognito is "done" with the Dolphins.
"There are procedures in place and everyone wants to be fair," the source said. "But from a club perspective he'll never play another game here." The Herald reports Incognito is planning to defend himself in a "robust manner," but it's not going to matter. The Dolphins are tired of Incognito's antics, which appear to have gone well beyond "antics" with Jonathan Martin. Now on the wrong side of 30 and a volatile personality going back to his days at Nebraska, it's quite possible Incognito's career is through, as well
I seriously doubt if either of them are back with the team. Especially, Incognito because now the coaches will be dragged into any kind of lawsuit or arbitration. And if they keep Incognito on I think it will be hard for them to justify the whole "we are changing things".

David U Kennedy

Post by David U Kennedy » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:11 pm

kjduke wrote:Given the support and comments he's had from teammates today, this is looking more like an issue of being taken out of context. A white guy using this language among a group of black friends is different from Paula Deen or a bunch skinheads using it, whether the rest of society agrees with it or not. Still stupid, of course, but he's not very bright to begin with.

You don't hang out with a guy and appear to be "best friends" if you truly think he's a racist that threatened your family (unless the "friends" story was concocted to protect the franchise). Martin is a smart guy, which leads me to wonder if he saved that voicemail for an eventual exit/lawsuit threat against MIA and the NFL --- when he in fact may have well known it was not in the context in which he is acting that it is now. Maybe the NFL was just too hard for him and he'd rather walk away with a nice settlement. I'd bet Incognito is more likely to be a Dolphin again than is Martin.
I agree with you here. Martin is a grown ass man. What kind of NFL player gets "Bullied by another NFL player"?? Bullying shouldn't be an issue here. It should be labeled an issue of proper or improper conduct. I would bet that this is legal posturing and the truth is somewhere in between. It sounds like management encouraged Incognito to do what he did. The new trend is "Anti Bully". I'm not buying. Life is about over coming obstacles. Bully's are forever apparent in life. Im guessing Martin has a fabulous Lawyer. This is all about profit. If it isn't then Martin wont be in the NFL very long. None of this is jiving or matching up. If Incognito was such a scumbag,then he would be well under the Bus By Now!!!

David U Kennedy

Post by David U Kennedy » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:19 pm

KenGill wrote:Plain and simple, this is "A Few Good Men'" in real life. In the movie they tried to toughen up Pvt. William Santiago by ordering the code red. The hazing went bad and the higher ups tried cover it up and go on with life. But they were caught. Same thing here, the coaching staff is responsible for this and they will pay the price just like Col. Jessup did. This will cost them their jobs.
Fiction has little to do here. I don't buy a 280 pound MAN getting quote unquote Bullied. Bullying is just another conjuring by Lawyers. Its just another way to make a Dollar$$$$

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:01 am

Seems to me Martin is going through some issues. Were they caused by this hazing? Who knows. But that phone call was taken out of context IMO. Granted, I don't agree with Incognito's sense of humor, but he didn't mean that stuff. I highly doubt Hartline is lying. The guys were friends and Hartline even posted a picture of the two together in New Orleans night before the game a month ago. Martin trying to get paid perhaps. He very well may just not like playing football. I don't agree with a lot that went on, but it is a little bit overblown IMO. I don't think rookies should have to treat anyone to anything unless they offer. Perhaps host the party in a private situation where you know you can control the costs to your liking. That is uncomfortable part for sure. No rookie should have to spend thousands of dollars on anything when the guys they are spending it on make way more money. You have to be a little bit messed up to pile on in those situations. Richie clearly is. But this is a bit overboard.

mattjb

Post by mattjb » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:22 am

jnugget

Post by jnugget » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:57 am

Murtha's comments are interesting to me, for the reason that he chose Nebraska over Colorado and Minnesota due to his recruiting trip experiences. They took him to strip clubs, booze, women, etc. and he was far too conservative for that. This doesn't offend him, however...

JETS SB

Post by JETS SB » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:28 pm

Coach Philbin, did you order the CODE RED?
Jack-Nicholson.jpg
Jack-Nicholson.jpg (8.16 KiB) Viewed 2198 times

TR

Post by TR » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:53 pm

Interesting how Murtha says he doesn't have a dog in this fight and that he's not taking sides...sure could have fooled me...