The Postseason Contest

Frozen Tundra

The Postseason Contest

Post by Frozen Tundra » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:27 pm

It's been quite an exciting way to finish another great football season. Hoping to end up at the top of the standings. It would relieve a bit the sting of my Packers bowing out early (still stings!), although I would have gladly given whatever earnings up to see the Pack at the Meadowlands!

I am not sure how you guys came up with this formula for selecting players. I for one have found it quite interesting. One big suggestion for the future if I may: I wish you could relax (or even eliminate) the restrictions on players per team for the Championship round and Superbowl.

In round two, although we had maximum two players per team, we were able to tilt our lineups based on our own predictions. With 8 teams in contention in round 2 and 12 spots to fill, we could chose which team to give two and which one or even zero (although zero would have been ill-advised because one would have to remove potential double points).
However, in round 3 and 4, the choice to tilt your lineup disappears. In round 3, you have to field 3 players per team. In SB, you have to field 4 per each team. There is no chance to tilt your lineup anymore. A player that is sitting in the middle of the table has little chance to leverage themselves against the top.

Thanks

Bobby D

Re: The Postseason Contest

Post by Bobby D » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:13 pm

I like it just the way it is. The player restrictions add to the strategy of the game. I don't think a team in the middle of the pack should be able to swoop in and win it all because he chose 8 players on 1 team in the Super Bowl. I also don't like the idea of someone basically picking a whole team throughout the playoffs.

xknsmithx

Post by xknsmithx » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:48 pm

If I'm not mistaken the motivation behind the x2, x3, and x4 points is to reward contestants who correctly predict players who will ultimately meet in the super bowl.

The next two weeks you will see some very interesting changes in scores/standings as contestants who chose players in rounds one and two led them to top scores but are now eliminated and have to start over at x1 points. Meanwhile other players will begin receiving x3 and x4 points for players who are still in the hunt.

It's like dog/horse racing...it's not always the leader out of the box who is going to win the race.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:16 pm

The idea of the format was to get everyone to predict which teams/players would advance each week WITHOUT loading up on one team. Heck, a lot of people knew that the Patriots would win last week, but how many had Lagarette Blount in their starting lineup since Week 1? It's fun and forcing you to take players from the remaining teams makes for so many different strategies. Enjoy all and good luck.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Frozen Tundra

Post by Frozen Tundra » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:18 pm

xknsmithx wrote:If I'm not mistaken the motivation behind the x2, x3, and x4 points is to reward contestants who correctly predict players who will ultimately meet in the super bowl.

The next two weeks you will see some very interesting changes in scores/standings as contestants who chose players in rounds one and two led them to top scores but are now eliminated and have to start over at x1 points. Meanwhile other players will begin receiving x3 and x4 points for players who are still in the hunt.

It's like dog/horse racing...it's not always the leader out of the box who is going to win the race.
That is one way to achieve leverage. The other would be less restrictions in round 3 and 4 (for example 4 per team this week and 5 in the SB).

Oh well, just a thought. Good luck to everyone.

Frozen Tundra

Post by Frozen Tundra » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:20 pm

Bobby D wrote:I like it just the way it is. The player restrictions add to the strategy of the game. I don't think a team in the middle of the pack should be able to swoop in and win it all because he chose 8 players on 1 team in the Super Bowl. I also don't like the idea of someone basically picking a whole team throughout the playoffs.
Multipliers would not allow you to pick a whole team. For example, if you thought that Blunt is going to have a big game this week but have Vereen at X3 you would probably not make that change.