Looking For Feedback On NFFC Cutline Rules

Greg Ambrosius

Looking For Feedback On NFFC Cutline Rules

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:13 am

We were very pleased with our debut season of the NFFC Cutline Championship and we're just looking for some feedback before unveiling our plans for 2014. We are definitely bullish on this "survivor" format and we look forward to unveiling the 2014 prize structure very soon.

Before doing that, however, I want to get your feedback on the Rules. Last year we ran a 9-week regular season, followed by a first-round playoff that included total points from Weeks 10-12. It was done that way to deal with the Week 10, 11 and 12 byes and it worked out well as the top teams advanced to Week 13. But I'm interested in your feedback and your thoughts.

Is this Cutline format better with:
a) a 9 week regular season or
b) 11 week regular season. If we went to 11 weeks, we'd need two weeks of All-Play.
Thoughts?

If we stayed with a 9 week regular season, do you like:
a) Total points from Weeks 10-12
b) Individual weekly cutlines in Weeks 10, 11, 12, 13, 14,15

One change to the Rules we will make this year is having teams who are eliminated from the Championship Round in Week 15 falling to the Wild Card Round, where they still have a shot at great prizes. That was one area I felt we could improve on for 2014.

Any other suggestions? Get ready to draft in this format because we are going to start this contest much earlier in 2014 and provide two nightly options from May through early September. Should be fun.

Thanks for any feedback here everyone. Can't wait to get the 2014 season started.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

The Franchise

Re: Looking For Feedback On NFFC Cutline Rules

Post by The Franchise » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:52 am

I have just one concern moving forward. Not just for Cutline, but for every contest....

Live Scoring & Live Standings - Something needs to be done to make it more enjoyable. The Daily Contests have it down to a science.

Live scoring - No problem. Their live scoring is almost instant. No delay no refreshing

Live Standings - Non issue. Watch as teams move up and down with every pass thrown or rushed. Want to know what the teams ahead of you have? Easy just look to the right of the standings and it shows PMR remaining. Want to see who they have on their team just click on it. It will show the players in the lineup and the points they have put up on the day.

That's fun and that's what I would expect from the NFFC/Stats
Winning isn't everything, but the will to win is.

76erfan

Post by 76erfan » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:40 pm

make cutline faab wednesday instead of friday

then you dont have to worry about guys that played thursday and you cant drop or cant pick up etc etc....all that got too convoluted last year.

its 3 faab's a year. people can do it wednesday

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:51 pm

The Franchise wrote:I have just one concern moving forward. Not just for Cutline, but for every contest....

Live Scoring & Live Standings - Something needs to be done to make it more enjoyable. The Daily Contests have it down to a science.

Live scoring - No problem. Their live scoring is almost instant. No delay no refreshing

Live Standings - Non issue. Watch as teams move up and down with every pass thrown or rushed. Want to know what the teams ahead of you have? Easy just look to the right of the standings and it shows PMR remaining. Want to see who they have on their team just click on it. It will show the players in the lineup and the points they have put up on the day.

That's fun and that's what I would expect from the NFFC/Stats
It's a fair question Nelson. The daily games have invested so much in technology that they are leading the way in the fastest Live Scoring and Live Overall Standings. Keeping up with their presentations is important, but not easy.

Hell, a year ago at this time we didn't even have Live Overall Standings for any of our games, so now it's time to improve on what we have. But you are right in that we need to make it faster and we need to see results of every team in your league without scrolling. We need PMR next to the scores within standings, etc. The feature where you hover over any team and see their lineup is brilliant, we all agree.

I wish I could promise it all, but we haven't met specifically yet on NFFC improvements. We're working on baseball now, building a new online draft room, FAAB and more, and most of what is done there will be added to the NFFC site. We'll have a good idea on what we can deliver on shortly.

But yes, your points aren't to be dismissed. We know what makes Sundays so enjoyable for all of you and we want all of that here at the NFFC. We want you to easily enjoy multiple teams and see their scores quickly. We have to make it better to keep up with the competition. It's as simple as that. If we don't, we'll lose our great customers to more than the daily games.

Again, I wish I had all of the answers now, but I don't. But we'll discuss it all and do all we can to improve the game site, especially the Live Scoring aspects. Thanks for the feedback.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

Sabretooth

Post by Sabretooth » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:02 pm

9 week regular season for sure. And total points weeks 10-12.

moyer1313

Post by moyer1313 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:47 pm

Greg,

I very much liked the 2013 format.

Only 3 Waiver Periods.
Waivers on Friday, not on Wednesday.
9 Week season.
Total Points for Weeks 10 through 12 for the first cut.
Cuts each week in Weeks 13, 14, 15, and 16.

However, one change that I would like to see is for the way the cuts are made in Weeks 13, 14, 15, and 16.

Rather than having them based on each individual week's performance and, therefore, very dependant on any player's great performance in any one week (ex: Josh Gordan), I'd rather have it continue to be based on Total Points during the Playoffs like the cut in Week 12.

So, instead of the cut in Week 13 being based on Averages + Week 13, it would be based on Averages + Total Points in Weeks 10 through Week 13.

The rules currently state:

=================================================================================
Week 13 (take each team’s weekly scoring average from Weeks 1-9, plus weekly playoff scoring average, plus your score from Week 13)

Week 14 (take each team’s weekly scoring average from Weeks 1-9, plus weekly playoff scoring average, plus your score from Week 14)

Week 15 (take each team’s weekly scoring average from Weeks 1-9, plus weekly playoff scoring average, plus your score from Week 15)

Week 16 (take each team’s weekly scoring average from Weeks 1-9, plus weekly playoff scoring average, plus your score from Week 16)
=================================================================================

The changes would look like this:

Week 13 (take each team’s weekly scoring average from Weeks 1-9, plus weekly playoff scoring average, plus your scores from Week 10 through Week 13)

Week 14 (take each team’s weekly scoring average from Weeks 1-9, plus weekly playoff scoring average, plus your scores from Week 10 through Week 14)

Week 15 (take each team’s weekly scoring average from Weeks 1-9, plus weekly playoff scoring average, plus your scores from Week 10 through Week 15)

Week 16 (take each team’s weekly scoring average from Weeks 1-9, plus weekly playoff scoring average, plus your scores from Week 10 through Week 16)

This would reduce the volatility of the cuts being affected by any one player going off in any one week.

Thank you,
Mark
Follow Me
'07 10-3 127.3 ppg $0 Won
'08 11-2 123.3 ppg $0 Won
'09 2-12 129.5 ppg $0 Won

The only team in NFFC Main Event history to win 11 games and not cash. :(

1683.8 pts. in 2009 is the record for a team with just 2 wins. Old record - 1479.95

xknsmithx

Post by xknsmithx » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:55 am

Gentleman,

The Cutline contest went over fantastic this year. I agree with those teams under the Cutline in week 15 be moved to the wild card round so that they can compete for those prizes. Also, I do remember seeing a lot of concern on the forum regarding the payout structure for teams in the Wild Card round receiving higher payouts than those in the Championship round.

I have a feeling this will be your most popular contest next year. Definitely consider incentives again next year for players looking to enter multiple teams.

Thank you all for putting up such a great product.

-Kevin

RedRyder

Post by RedRyder » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:28 am

You had mentioned in an earlier price raising the price. I actually think you should lower the price, especially if you are offering 2 drafting options a night. Personally, I won't think so hard about laying down $99, but at $150, I pick and choose. I think you would get far greater volume of teams at $99 and in the long run have the same Overall prize.

Also, if it is $99 and more teams are bought, it will be a fun thing to see how the Overall pot rises. You could keep some type of link showing how much more the Overall rises each week.

Whatever you do, I would think making it an easy choice for players to choose your contest over the competitions would be the ultimate goal. Drop $99 for a chance at 50K = no brainer. Drop $99 for a chance at $50K = easy to market.
@RedRyder

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:57 pm

All good suggestions. We definitely won't be raising the price of the NFFC Cutline Championship this year. We agree, something in the $100-$125 range allows for more teams without having too many teams. We are pumped for this contest in 2014 and we agree that there's a bright future for early drafts and nightly impulse buys. Football is going to be huge in 2014.

Jersey Dawg

Post by Jersey Dawg » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:28 pm

Waivers have to be on Wednesday. Way too screwy the way it was last year with not being able to waive anyone in a Thursday game on waivers Friday, even if they were parked on your bench Thursday night.