If you want to sign up for a super slow draft ...

Cocktails and Dreams

Re: If you want to sign up for a super slow draft ...

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:20 am

This is why I don't play these anymore. When you are courteous and respectful and someone or others aren't giving the draft that respect, then it is painful. There should be a total time bank that doesn't run during certain overnight period. You have two deadlines. One the time limit for that pick. And a total time limit for entire thing that is three times as much.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:36 am

Cocktails and Dreams wrote:This is why I don't play these anymore. When you are courteous and respectful and someone or others aren't giving the draft that respect, then it is painful. There should be a total time bank that doesn't run during certain overnight period. You have two deadlines. One the time limit for that pick. And a total time limit for entire thing that is three times as much.
Total time bank......I like this idea.

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:50 am

I've done quite a few this year. They started out a bit rough but they really have gotten better. I couple have gone very fast. I think they will go even faster once a draft 2 option is added so that guys at the turns can predraft 2 picks.

CALI CARTEL

Post by CALI CARTEL » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:26 pm

I think there should be a total time bank, plus like an hour per pick.

So each time you are on the clock, you get an hour; once that hour is up you start using time from your bank (maybe 8-12 hours for the whole draft). This would still allow you an hour per pick if you exhausted your time bank later in the draft, but that's it, one hour if your bank is gone.

However, to make this work, the Autopick feature needs a little revamping, as is you can't use the Auto function correctly if you picking towards either end of the draft. If around the turn picks, you plan to draft a QB and then a RB (or any two different positions), you can't use a single list for multiple picks, or else you could get stuck with a pair of QB's or a pair of RB's. The Auto lists need to be Round dependent, and MFL.com has a setup that works great, you can set lists for each individual round and copy lists from previous rounds. They charge $10 for their leagues, I think with a $150+ price point, a small upgrade in the draft rooms can be afforded.

I love the Slow Drafts, but nothing is more frustrating that going through a day without picking, because one or two owners use 6-8 hours to make their picks.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:33 pm

Coltsfan wrote:I've done quite a few this year. They started out a bit rough but they really have gotten better. I couple have gone very fast. I think they will go even faster once a draft 2 option is added so that guys at the turns can predraft 2 picks.
I'm not disagreeing with anyone on how to improve these Draft Champions Leagues and nobody wants them to run smoothly more than us. We are growing the grand prize each year with the expectation that we'll sell out more each year, so we have to make these better.

That being said, as Wayne said many of these latest drafts seem to be going faster, not slower. Here are the drafts ongoing right now and the round they are in:

1 day - Round 4
2 days - Round 10
4 days - Round 11
5 days - Round 15
7 days - Round 19
9 days - Round 16
9 days - Round 27
12 days - Round 25

These are all averaging 2-3 rounds or better per day and many will be done in 12-14 days. If folks want to be done in 6-7 days, I guess we could form some of those, but so far many of these seem to have a good pace to them. Yes, one person can slow these down, but hopefully that person will learn and keep things moving. We agree, by allowing better tools like a Round 2 Auto maybe we can get the pace to 3-4 rounds per day and allow people to do more DCs per off-season.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:00 pm

Greg, we're on day 21 in the $400 DC and with a couple rounds to go it will probably be another couple days ... less than 1.5 rounds per day is just way too slow ... therein lies the problem, you never know when you'll get stuck in one like that.

You've been ignoring my suggestion for what, 3 years now, to include some guidelines for picking and communicating? I'm not sure why, but it costs you nothing, doesn't require any tech upgrade and I don't see how it can hurt. You've posted such guidelines for drafting multiple times on the MB, but that isn't necessarily going to be read by the people who need most to see it --- show it where they sign up and with the league confirmation email, and I think leagues such as this will be far rarer.
Last edited by kjduke on Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:13 pm

kjduke wrote:Greg, we're on day 21 in the $400 DC and with a couple rounds to go it will probably be another couple days ... less than 1.5 rounds per day is just way too slow ... therein lies the problem, you never know when you'll get stuck in one like that.

You've been ignoring my suggestion for what, 3 years now, to include some guidelines for picking and communicating? I'm not sure why, but it costs you nothing, doesn't require any tech upgrade and I don't see how it can hurt. You've posted such guidelines for drafting multiple times on the MB, but that isn't necessarily going to be read by the people who need most to see it.
It looks like that initial $400 DC is a slow one and more than one owner is taking their time with picks. At that price level, I guess folks want to take more time per pick. As you say, you just never know.

I'm not ignoring anyone. I've made the post before in baseball and football. Sure, we can add it to the Rules page, to the prize grid page and anywhere else you want it, but I don't think that will speed up drafts. Some folks just take their time in these DCs, but sure we can repost those guidelines that I wrote previously. I hope it helps.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:17 pm

Yes, thank you. Please post a short blurb about picking in each signup thread for these, at a minimum ... even better if you can add something to the rules page.

I guarantee you it will make a difference with the worst offenders, because they always say the same thing ... "there's nothing in the rules that says I have to pick in less than 8 hours, so why should I pick any faster". Every time it's the same line.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:49 pm

kjduke wrote:Yes, thank you. Please post a short blurb about picking in each signup thread for these, at a minimum ... even better if you can add something to the rules page.

I guarantee you it will make a difference with the worst offenders, because they always say the same thing ... "there's nothing in the rules that says I have to pick in less than 8 hours, so why should I pick any faster". Every time it's the same line.
Okay, I rewrote that thread and posted it on the NFFC boards. We can thumbtack that near the top as well. I've also posted a link on the $150 and $400 Draft Champions signup lists to this thread and will do that with every new DC going forward. Hopefully folks see that with each new signup. Here's what it says:

And before joining any NFFC Draft Champions League, please read and understand the etiquette needed to keep these leagues moving at a comfortable pace. Thanks all: http://nffcforums.stats.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=12994

ForLoveOfTheGame

Post by ForLoveOfTheGame » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:29 pm

I've seen numerous people in this thread alone say they don't play them because how long they can take. Last year I was in one where one player was timing out constantly and he singlehandedly extended the draft by at least seven to ten days. That sucks the life out of something that is suppose to be fun. Keep in mind some owners log in, see they are up, and STILL take 7+ hours to pick. That's what I really don't get. Sure, we all get busy from time to time and take awhile, that's one thing. But seeing you are up and taking the whole time (even to pick a D or K!!!)? Come on! :x

I think I once saw Wayne say (and have seen another person or two say) they only do 1 to 3 drafts at a time and don't sign up for more until 1 finishes. Pretty easy to see how you are losing out on money / growing the contest by the really slow drafts taking forever. Might not hurt to do a poll to see what people *think* could be done to make them better, doesn't mean you have to change it but a great idea might come from it. I still love the idea of the timer being frozen during the common sleep hours and then something like a 2-4 hour limit. Just my 2 cents as usual