If you want to sign up for a super slow draft ...

gorgo

Re: If you want to sign up for a super slow draft ...

Post by gorgo » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:08 pm

The east way to avoid the problem drafters might be to put SLO after their names when they enter a draft to warn those who wish to avoid them. A site I play allows you to change leagues up until the league fill thus you can avoid anyone you do not wish to be in a league with

morons

Post by morons » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:51 pm

I love the slow drafts. They are my favorite NFFC product (and probably the only one I'm good at)

I can look past the very few annoying people who take too long every time, or who are pushy for everyone to pick faster.

I wouldn't change anything.

I'm in several at a time: If one's lagging, it usually seems one or two other ones will be moving right along and so I don't mind the sluggish one.

I don't care if people taking a long time. Sometimes I might too if I'm busy at work. I can usually check in a few times a day, and can auto-pick if my pick is coming soon, and I think everyone else should be able to do that too.

I'm used to punks and whiney people at work, so I don't pay any attention to their comments in the chat room. I don't give out my number, however, because I don't feel I owe it to anyone to be bothered at 430 am with texts or calls when my 28th round pick is on the clock.

I don't think Greg or Tom or anyone at NFFC needs to change the format of the slow drafts. I don't like ideas of additional time banks or magic "make-them-pick-faster" ideas that people have suggested because everyone has a different schedule.

People tend to complain about the slow draft pace, but then they don't seem to fill up the DC Express drafts all the time either. Sometimes those cancel because they don't fill, so the demand for a fast-pace DC draft probably isn't as great as some people think it is.

Steel Lugnuts

Post by Steel Lugnuts » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:06 pm

morons wrote:I love the slow drafts. They are my favorite NFFC product (and probably the only one I'm good at)

I can look past the very few annoying people who take too long every time, or who are pushy for everyone to pick faster.

I wouldn't change anything.

I'm in several at a time: If one's lagging, it usually seems one or two other ones will be moving right along and so I don't mind the sluggish one.

I don't care if people taking a long time. Sometimes I might too if I'm busy at work. I can usually check in a few times a day, and can auto-pick if my pick is coming soon, and I think everyone else should be able to do that too.

I'm used to punks and whiney people at work, so I don't pay any attention to their comments in the chat room. I don't give out my number, however, because I don't feel I owe it to anyone to be bothered at 430 am with texts or calls when my 28th round pick is on the clock.

I don't think Greg or Tom or anyone at NFFC needs to change the format of the slow drafts. I don't like ideas of additional time banks or magic "make-them-pick-faster" ideas that people have suggested because everyone has a different schedule.

People tend to complain about the slow draft pace, but then they don't seem to fill up the DC Express drafts all the time either. Sometimes those cancel because they don't fill, so the demand for a fast-pace DC draft probably isn't as great as some people think it is.
I pretty much agree with everything here, I like it as is and wouldn't change anything.

Don't join a DC 8-hr draft if you don't like that some people may take a long time to draft. It does get annoying when someone does it on purpose to spite other drafters or for whatever reason, but doesn't happen very often. Seems like the more people complain, the longer some people take.

Hopefully what KJ has mentioned and what Greg/Tom have posted will do some good. These drafts were renamed from Slow Drafts to Draft Champions for this reason.

EDIT: I would also like to add communication is the key to a successful and enjoyable DC experience! :) If you won't have access to computer or smart phone for an extended period time, just give the league a heads up in the chat room.

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:25 am

I haven't done any Slow DCs in a couple years, as the pace was just too slow for me. However, when I did, I wondered why it wasn't a valid strategy for even someone at the turn to take most/all of their allotted time? I mean, someone in the middle might have several days to a week in between picks to monitor player news. Why should those at the end have to make back-to-back picks within minutes/hours - both based on the current state of news at that moment? :? For that matter, can the same be said for ANY picks anywhere? If it gets to you late at night, why not wait til the morning to see if any new news arrives? This is especially true once training camps open. I know I would tend to wait until at least the end of the work day, when camp practices are done and injuries may be announced.

gorgo

Post by gorgo » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:13 am

Sandman62 wrote:I haven't done any Slow DCs in a couple years, as the pace was just too slow for me. However, when I did, I wondered why it wasn't a valid strategy for even someone at the turn to take most/all of their allotted time? I mean, someone in the middle might have several days to a week in between picks to monitor player news. Why should those at the end have to make back-to-back picks within minutes/hours - both based on the current state of news at that moment? :? For that matter, can the same be said for ANY picks anywhere? If it gets to you late at night, why not wait til the morning to see if any new news arrives? This is especially true once training camps open. I know I would tend to wait until at least the end of the work day, when camp practices are done and injuries may be announced.
This is the type the type of player that that causes the outrage this thread posters feel. Daily between 8pm -12 est there are no picks made because people think like this. EVERYDAY . The thoughtlessness of players like this guy and the two mention by KJ are the reason players should be allowed to withdraw from leagues they enter before it fills and locks. putting a list of these type of players to warn others would let them keep playing with themselves as they do now.

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:34 am

Easy there gorgo. As I said, I DON'T do Slow DCs anymore; so I doubt I'm "thoughtless". :roll:

The rules of the format allow for people to take their time and gather all of the available news when it's their pick. Yes, if everyone did that, drafts would take forever. Oh well. That's built into this format.

Again, I understand this rationale. But I also don't like drafts that take this long, so I stopped doing this format. But I completely understand when players choose to operate within the rules to optimize their picks.
Last edited by Sandman62 on Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:46 am

Guys, one thing I will say is no one is getting Hester Prynne'd here. Nobody is going to be labeled by us and forced to walk around with a scarlet A on their chest. If someone is intentionally violating the rules or creating an issue within a league we will take the appropriate measures. But we're not going to be putting labels on anyone or excluding people from taking part in our contests. I trust everyone can appreciate the obvious reasons why for that. :)
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

boutrous11

Post by boutrous11 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:14 am

how is someone violating the rules by taking 8 hours to pick? the rule is you have 8 hours to pick....

time bank idea is awesome!

marisschris

Post by marisschris » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:56 am

What about setting up leagues by location? An East coast league, central league and a west coast league? These should help time as well.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:58 am

marisschris wrote:What about setting up leagues by location? An East coast league, central league and a west coast league? These should help time as well.
We've offered them in the past and it never really went anywhere. But we would certainly offer them again if 12 people from one region or more wanted to take part.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich