If you want to sign up for a super slow draft ...

got heeem

Re: If you want to sign up for a super slow draft ...

Post by got heeem » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:26 am

So true about this dietzzzzzman as he was called in the 2 long drafts I was in wth him .I avoid drafts with him now .

Money

Post by Money » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:58 am

Don Draper wrote:
The only reason these drafts are getting done in 2 to 2.5 weeks is because most of the owners are making up for the inconsiderate owners by making their picks in a much more reasonable timeframe. Without these owners, the DC leagues would take an extra 1 to 2 weeks to finish, if not longer.
This is so true. In a lot of baseball drafts you have 13 players going at a break neck pace to make up for the deliberately slow players. Many times going out of their way to keep things moving at their own inconvenience. This is a debate every year in both baseball and football. Unless your comfortable with the field of participants, you're best advised to stay away if you can't stomach the delays. For me I'm cutting it back to one draft in both football and baseball going forward.

Where is Dan Kenyon when you need him? He organizes the best baseball drafts. :D
Joe

gorgo

Post by gorgo » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:55 am

These are 10 things that indicate you should not play the slow version of the Draft Champions 1 parking in the middle of two spaces 2 not being able to shut your pie hole in a movie theater 3 cutting in line is ok because afterall you really are in a hurry 4 fear that if you pick before your 8hrs are up the player you pick might get hurt or drop in the ADP 5 you believe that girl who just shot you down in the bar HAS to be a lesbian 6 you thought when she told you it happens to guys all the time she meant it 7 turn signals are a silly thing to have on a car 8 when your ex broke up with you saying its not you its me you think she is not lying 9 in kindergarten you thought paste was one of the major food groups and still do 10 you double dip your chips

boutrous11

Post by boutrous11 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:56 am

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Again, a "time bank" sounds good, but is it really the solution? And even if it is, it's not something we will be able to develop overnight.
greg, is there any downside at all to the time time bank idea?

we are not expecting you to develop it overnight. obviously this season we are going to live w/ the current system. how about talk w/ your programmers and see if this tremendous idea is possible. this could be a breakthrough idea, don't just dismiss it....

48 total hours of clock per team per draft seems reasonable.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:10 am

got heeem wrote:So true about this dietzzzzzman as he was called in the 2 long drafts I was in wth him .I avoid drafts with him now .
You guys win. He was harrassed enough last night for not picking within 2 hours that he's likely done with this format for a bit. He's a good guy and he loves this format, but you guys win. Jump in all you want now since you've made your point. 2 hours isn't quick enough. 3 hours is insane. He gets it.

It's your format everyone. The goal is to grow the DCs each year and to continue to grow the grand prize. We're at $25,000 in baseball and $20,000 here. The format is fine and we all love it, but it's up to each of you to have the common sense to pick within a reasonable time and to have patience with others. You guys can make this happen easily, you don't need time banks. You need common sense to what these are and to work together to make these enjoyable, informative and rewarding.

I will say that I'm not seeing many picks made with the 1 Round Auto or by Auto. I think we could all keep these moving along better by setting up our Ques and using 1 Round Auto. Hopefully that helps.

But the drafts are open now that you've cleared the field. Good luck all.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:16 am

boutrous11 wrote:
Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Again, a "time bank" sounds good, but is it really the solution? And even if it is, it's not something we will be able to develop overnight.
greg, is there any downside at all to the time time bank idea?

we are not expecting you to develop it overnight. obviously this season we are going to live w/ the current system. how about talk w/ your programmers and see if this tremendous idea is possible. this could be a breakthrough idea, don't just dismiss it....

48 total hours of clock per team per draft seems reasonable.
It sounds like the cure all, but it's not. So you go to bed and are on the clock for 7 hours and now you're down to 41 hours. That could still happen a few more times during the next two weeks and in this case you're being labeled as a slow drafter? No, you're just on the clock when you're allowed to sleep, that's all.

You folks are adults, this isn't that hard. It's 8 hours per pick. 35 rounds. In baseball we go 50 rounds with 15 teams and we make it work with many of the same folks who are bitching here. This is not that hard and again most of these DCs are really running smoothly. Now you've eliminated one speed bump, so make it happen NFFC veterans. The field is open for you.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

boutrous11

Post by boutrous11 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:24 am

Greg Ambrosius wrote:

It sounds like the cure all, but it's not. So you go to bed and are on the clock for 7 hours and now you're down to 41 hours. That could still happen a few more times during the next two weeks and in this case you're being labeled as a slow drafter? No, you're just on the clock when you're allowed to sleep, that's all.
that happening a few more times is much better than it happening every round for 35 rounds. if everyone could see each other's remaining time banks it would be even better, as you will know how much time someone drafting right before you has... i would bet that people would use the auto-pick function even more (or just draft faster in general) with the time bank so they don't get too close to zero on the bank.

Pitch12

Post by Pitch12 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:29 am

Someone tell me when the season starts again?

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:09 pm

Greg,

In all fairness Dietzman really hasn't been much slower than anyone else these past 30 days. The only time I got upset was about 6 weeks ago when on the turn he waited 7.5 hours to pick, came in just in a nick of time to make a pick, and then took another 5 hours for his second pick. I"m pretty sure it was the 3/4 turn where picks are somewhat easy to make. I just think that there are only two problems. Once you get a somewhat scarred reputation for being slow then nobody cuts you any slack. And secondly, his responses to people might not have been well received. He's probably a great guy but it's hard to know how somebody is saying something behind a keyboard.

I've been drafting from the end a lot this year and I wish I could pre-draft but since I can't specify two different positions I can't use this feature. Hopefully next year you will be able to make a pick for one round and then make another grouping for the next round. That will really help drafts move. Last night it got to me 15 minutes after I went to bad and I killed a good run in the making. I wake up with 15 minutes on the clock. I was 6-7 picks away when I turned in. It's hard to justify staying up to see if it makes it to you but then when it does and you're asleep it sucks for everyone else.

I've done these slow DC's just about as long as they have been around and this year they seem to be moving faster than I can ever remember. I've been very impressed. And next year will be even better with improved functionality.

Wayne

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:28 pm

Coltsfan wrote:Greg,

In all fairness Dietzman really hasn't been much slower than anyone else these past 30 days. The only time I got upset was about 6 weeks ago when on the turn he waited 7.5 hours to pick, came in just in a nick of time to make a pick, and then took another 5 hours for his second pick. I"m pretty sure it was the 3/4 turn where picks are somewhat easy to make. I just think that there are only two problems. Once you get a somewhat scarred reputation for being slow then nobody cuts you any slack. And secondly, his responses to people might not have been well received. He's probably a great guy but it's hard to know how somebody is saying something behind a keyboard.

I've been drafting from the end a lot this year and I wish I could pre-draft but since I can't specify two different positions I can't use this feature. Hopefully next year you will be able to make a pick for one round and then make another grouping for the next round. That will really help drafts move. Last night it got to me 15 minutes after I went to bad and I killed a good run in the making. I wake up with 15 minutes on the clock. I was 6-7 picks away when I turned in. It's hard to justify staying up to see if it makes it to you but then when it does and you're asleep it sucks for everyone else.

I've done these slow DC's just about as long as they have been around and this year they seem to be moving faster than I can ever remember. I've been very impressed. And next year will be even better with improved functionality.

Wayne
I like the suggestion for a second auto pick function and that would also help in baseball where people definitely need to draft from a different position after they take someone with their 1 Round Auto pick. It's that type of suggestion that is needed to make the process better. We should do that for 2015.

As for Paul, he's a new customer and a very excited one. He loves this format. He's also done some DC Expresses and as you know he likes to chat during those. I was in one a few weeks ago where KJ was in it and they were having a good conversation on some players and KJ said "Dietz, I sure like you a lot more in these DC Expresses than in the Slow Drafts." They both laughed about it, but I think Paul understood what was meant and he really has been making his picks quicker lately. He does work a lot of hours and sometimes is away, but it frustrates our veterans when he makes one pick and then takes a few hours for a second pick. But he does have that right.

That being said, this whole thread has scared some folks away from the DC when nothing is wrong with the format. Again, as I look at every current DC now, most are averaging 3 or more rounds per day. That's 12 days to finish. Some of you want 9 days as the ideal timeframe. Well, 36 picks a day is pretty solid. Improving the software makes sense, but scarlet letters or calling someone out for being on the clock 2 hours just scares potential customers away from the NFFC. Hopefully we can move forward now and improve the setup even more next year.