NFL reporting

renman

NFL reporting

Post by renman » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:51 am

I posted about this once years ago. In today's day and age where everyone is connected through social media and there is this mad rush to "break news" I think we have lost a lot of journalistic integrity. Does anyone really care who broke news first anymore? Lets be honest, when news breaks it spreads so fast through social media and even traditional media outlets (24/7 news) that everyone finds out immediately anyway. I doubt many care who actually reported the news first.

The news about Andre Ellington is a perfect example of this. It was reported (and repeated by countless others) that he injured his foot in practice and after an MRI was "out 4-6 weeks and maybe longer." Everyone knows that lower leg and foot/ankle injuries for RB's are often a disaster.

Will any of these media outlets and sources highlight themselves for getting it SO wrong in the way they tout themselves when they break news first? Now I do not have Ellington anywhere on any team. So this isn't sour grapes because I didn't lose my game because I benched Ellington or anything. I just find the reporting and media landscape in general to be on a steady decline in this desperation to be first rather than right.

Jersey Dawg

Re: NFL reporting

Post by Jersey Dawg » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:22 am

I totally agree. I passed on him because of this "news" even though I drafted him in some of my early DC drafts. Just get the news "right" not "first".

CALI CARTEL

Post by CALI CARTEL » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:04 am

Jersey Dawg wrote:I totally agree. I passed on him because of this "news" even though I drafted him in some of my early DC drafts. Just get the news "right" not "first".
He fell to the 8th-10th round range of some of the live drafts in Vegas this past weekend because of that "news".

Monkeyville

Post by Monkeyville » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:21 am

Thats Crazy!!!
FEAR THE MONKEY!!!

renman

Post by renman » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:06 am

I wonder how many people benched Brandon Marshall thanks to more erroneous NFL reporting.

chriseibl

Post by chriseibl » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:08 am

renman wrote:I wonder how many people benched Brandon Marshall thanks to more erroneous NFL reporting.
I made sure to take him out and get Knowshon in. :)