The Wednesday Chat Has Begun

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:56 am

All right folks, step up and be heard from. The Wednesday chat has begun. To kick things off, I'll answer some of the questions posed in the other thread.

1. Early reports indicate Boldin does not have any ligament damage to his knee. Instead it's a miniscus injury which is expected to keep him sidelined anywhere from 1-4 weeks. Hopefully we'll know more as today goes on if Green meets with the media or releases any kind of statement.

2. Ricky has filed his retirement papers so he's done for 2004. However, there was an interesting story yesterday which said if he decides to return next season he might not be suspended for four games due to violating the league's drug policy. A spokesman for the NFL said they may count his sitting out this entire season as his suspension. However, he could end up losing some pay. Stay tuned.

3. Chambers scares the beejesus out of me. Some folks I have a lot of respect for in this industry are giving him a real bump up in value now because he'll be the only guy getting passes thrown to him (much like last season). However, with no proven running game and with some HUGE questions at QB (Feely is not looking good so far at all) and no help at WR, I think any defensive coordinator that doesn't roll coverage toward Chambers on every pass play should be fired on the spot. If I can get Chambers for a real good value I'll take him because I think he has wonderful talent. But I would not feel comfortable right now if he was my WR1 or WR2.

4. I really think last year was the Packers' last, best shot to get to the Super Bowl in the Favre era. We'll see, though. The NFC certainly should be wide open again.

5. And speaking of the Packers. No Mark Chmura did not marry his 17-year-old prom "date." :D But since I covered the Packers for nine years, I do have some ... stories ... I could share about Chmura and some of the other Packers. For those of you coming to NY, who knows what stories I might share over a beer or two ... or three.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

TamuScarecrow

Post by TamuScarecrow » Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:13 am

Where do you think Quincy Carter ends up and do you think all of the leg injuries that have already occurred in training camps is going to lead to larger sleeper crop than usual?
2005 NY/CHI League Champ
2006 CHI#2 3rd Place
2006 Auction Reg Season Champ
2007 TAM#2 2nd Place
2007 Auction Reg Season Champ
2009 LV#5 League Champ
2010 Auction Reg Season Champ
2011 LV#3 2nd Place
2012 LV Classic League Champ

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:18 am

Missed those questions, sorry Rick.

Hard to say what's going to happen with Carter. I'll be interested to see if a team takes a chance on him before he gets his situation settled with the Cowboys in terms of the money they're trying to get back from him. Maybe Arizona?

There definitely seems to be more injuries so far this year prior to any games being played. Already some guys like Travis Minor and Josh Scobey have popped up on the fantasy radar. If we get a few more starters hit with serious injuries it'll definitely create more chances for some more guys to emerge who had either been unknown or buried deep under the radar.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:54 am

Just got an update about Boldin. He's only expected to miss two weeks. So all of you Boldin owners and those targeting him can breathe a sigh of relief.

[ August 11, 2004, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: Tom Kessenich ]
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:59 am

5. And speaking of the Packers. No Mark Chmura did not marry his 17-year-old prom "date." But since I covered the Packers for nine years, I do have some ... stories ... I could share about Chmura and some of the other Packers. For those of you coming to NY, who knows what stories I might share over a beer or two ... or three.

--------------------
Tom Kessenich
Assistant Editor
Fantasy Sports Magazine

**I'll be there for all 3 events in New York, so I'll be ready for some Packer stories.

[ August 11, 2004, 03:00 PM: Message edited by: Diesel ]
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:01 am

Pick a Packer from the years 1990-1999 and chances are I'll have something interesting to share.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:06 am

I was a big Sterling Sharpe fan. But then again, who wasn't? He was a class act, and his carreer ending injury was the only thing that ever stopped him from scoring TD's.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:11 am

Sterling was definitely an interesting guy. Not exactly beloved by his teammates, but there wasn't a guy in that locker room who didn't respect him (although he did taint quite a bit of that respect with his silly attempt to hold out prior to the season opener in 94). My personal opinion is that Sharpe was as good a WR as Rice, he just wasn't in as good of a situation for most of his career. Sharpe was a freak at WR. Corners couldn't jam him and even though he wasn't blessed with great speed, he had very good game speed - if he got open he was going to take it a long way.

Ego as big as the Grand Canyon, but one helluva WR.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:13 am

The last breakout game I can remember of him was in HEAVY snow. He either got 3 or 4 TD's that game. I think it was 4. It looked as if he was the only player on the field not affected by the weather that day.

DIESEL02

Post by DIESEL02 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:16 am

Is there anyway to change your co-owner for the NFFC ?...lol
"Fortis fortuna adiuvat"-"Fortune favors the brave"