$996

Glenneration X

Re: $996

Post by Glenneration X » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:02 pm

Coltsfan wrote:Paying over $900 for Gordon is not a "I'm playing to finish 5th" type of move.
Wayne
I agree Wayne. However, I don't think not willing to pay $900 for Gordon is a "I'm playing to finish 5th" type of decision either.

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:10 pm

Glenn,

I know you're a risk taker and you will always go for upside and take the risks. I saw you drafting Gronk all summer which could end up being huge for you! I definitely wasn't referring to you. But every year I see guys sit on free agent money and won't spend it. I used to be that way. And then they get half way through the year, they don't have much of a chance, and they go all in on some mediocre talent that has zero upside but had a big game. All because they were scared to spend it early on guys who might be breaking out.

But anyways, you are one of the most aggressive players I know and your track record shows that. I would never think you're playing for the middle! And no I don't believe that if you didn't go strong on Gordon that makes you a conservative player. That just isn't the case. But there are many players who would never bid high on an impact player because they want to keep money back for something "later". And next thing you know the year is half over and they have no depth.

Wayne

Monkeyville

Post by Monkeyville » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:14 pm

Missed out on Gordon all over the place but honestly.....Who Medes $200 FAAB Dollars last week of season to bid on a back up kicker and we've all been there at some point. Nive job to the Gordon owners.
FEAR THE MONKEY!!!

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:19 pm

I got him in a local league last Wed night before the news broke for $34 (of 100). 8-)

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:31 pm

Coltsfan wrote:Glenn,

I know you're a risk taker and you will always go for upside and take the risks. I saw you drafting Gronk all summer which could end up being huge for you! I definitely wasn't referring to you. But every year I see guys sit on free agent money and won't spend it. I used to be that way. And then they get half way through the year, they don't have much of a chance, and they go all in on some mediocre talent that has zero upside but had a big game. All because they were scared to spend it early on guys who might be breaking out.

But anyways, you are one of the most aggressive players I know and your track record shows that. I would never think you're playing for the middle! And no I don't believe that if you didn't go strong on Gordon that makes you a conservative player. That just isn't the case. But there are many players who would never bid high on an impact player because they want to keep money back for something "later". And next thing you know the year is half over and they have no depth.

Wayne
Thanks Wayne.

Just to clarify however, my issue isn't so much with the huge bids on Gordon per se or whether he's worth it one way or the other. Even a $900 bid can be justified in my mind, just not a bid I was willing to make at this time for my teams (not that it would have made a difference because he went for much more in just about every one of my leagues in which he was available :cry: ). I do obviously strongly believe that Gordon "can" return significant value as I've got him on quite a number of my teams.

My concern and point throughout this thread is not in regards to Gordon's potential value, but in regards to the "all-in" or practical all-in bids for Gordon, or for any player for that matter, at this early stage of the season. In a $10K draft for another contest provider, a player bid his full $1000 FAAB budget to obtain Gordon. He has no backup kicker, no backup D, no backup TE.... and now he's completely handcuffed.

I believe FAAB is as important a component to winning as the draft. You need flexibility and the ability to maneuver and adjust. I don't win the contest I took down last year without Zac Stacy, Keenen Allen, Jordan Reed (early season), even the Rams D and Novak, all picked up because I had some FAAB dollars to play with.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:36 am

Coltsfan wrote:But Billy......lol. If I spent $952 on Gordon and you spent $600 on him. Then my only difference is that I get one less shot at a breakout player, correct? Most of them go $200 - $600 on the waiver wire. So that's one less pickup for me verses someone who bought Gordon for $600 and the success rate of that pickup is 1/10 probably at best.

Wayne
I don't see it this way at all, Wayne. For me, the majority of my "breakout" guys on FAAB were guys who I got for $30-$50 over the years. So if I save $300-$350 by not going as high on Gordon, it could give me around 8-10 opportunities at a guys who even if just for a week or two could help my team......Riley Cooper and Nick Foles were two guys that fell into this range for me last year.

Only having $50 or less really prohibits you from going more than $20 a player......when defenses can go for $30-50, you see the dilemma.

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:45 am

I understand Billy. For me the hardest part in running short on FA money is the RB position. It's really important to have your RB's backed up because you can't afford to buy them in the event of injury. Last year in another contest I was doing very well after Doug Martin went down because I had James. But when he went down I didn't have enough money to buy Rainey. I should have been out in front of that one and I wasn't. So you definitely have to have a different approach. It's entirely possible that you can cost yourself more points than what you gained by Gordon if you aren't set up properly at the other positions.

Wayne

renman

Post by renman » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:43 am

Coltsfan wrote:renamn,

I was looking for something that I could agree with you on and I just couldn't find anything....lol.

Wayne
Wayne,

That is ok. I am not here to be agreed with lol. I also like that an actual football discussion is taking place and it seems to be fun, friendly, civil, etc. The beauty of this discussion/debate is we are guaranteed to find who was right because the results will be cut and dry.

I agree he is a great talent. But in my opinion talent is not the most important thing in the NFL. They all have incredible athletic talent. Their individual playing circumstances impact their productivity. Demaryius Thomas numbers would be dramatically different if Tim Tebow were his QB last year. His talent didn't get better, he playing circumstances did. That is one of 100 examples I could come up with in minutes. I personally don't think Gordon, given his current circumstances, was worth emptying the entire faab tank on. We shall see!

76erfan

Post by 76erfan » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:18 am

Schefter says Gordon's suspension to be reduced to 8 games per source after new drug policy agreement reached.

wiljiro

Post by wiljiro » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:19 am

chriseibl wrote:
wiljiro wrote:I don't care who you are - I don't care if you are in the NFFC Hall Of Fame - I don't care if you own and manage 74 teams - I don't care if you do this for a living - I don't care if you write your own magazine on Fantasy Football - or have your own podcast - I don't care if Mathew Berry himself uses you as a source when he needs an opinion on a player move - I don't care - In my most humble opinion spending that kind of money - (920+) on a guy that
A - May not be reinstated -
B- If he is may still have to serve some time for a new DUI -
C- Must be in poor playing shape - (He's selling cars at the moment) - \

is just plain dumb.... Sorry -

Leaving yourself after week one with zero WW money is dangerous - Imagine you are an Arian Foster owner, and he goes down - and then Grimes follows - "You're My Boy" Blue gets the nod.... and you have 6 bucks left in the kitty.....

The above scenario can happen to any of your key positions....

Nope - Sorry

Wiljiro
Can't disagree more. Odds are more likely than not the Foster owner has a more suitable 3rd running back than Grimes in that situation and the options aren't Grimes or death. A good player is unlikely to put themselves in that situation barring a terribly unlucky rash of injuries. Additionally, securing both Blue and Grimes as handcuffs would be a fairly easy thing for the Foster owner to do in advance if the Foster owner didn't have an acceptable 3rd running back.

Ok - Point taken - So - Let's frame it better - Same scenario - Foster owner - Spends 960 on Gordon - Foster goes down - and they sign Mikel Leshoure - Who in his first week blows up for 154 / 2 TD's / 3 / 48 -

He becomes the hot free agent "Pick up of the year" -

Guess what my starting point for bidding will be? 41 bucks..... Needless to say he will go for much much more.... -

Yes - A good FF player will have guys on his bench to cover - but FF is not just about finding Victor Cruz in '10 for 7 bucks - Or Zac Stacy last year for 20.... It's about having emergency money available in case it rains -

Again - like everything else - Just an opinion -

In one of my leagues I over spent on Forsett - I have Ridley as RB2..... (I'll be right back I just puked in my mouth a little bit...).... - It was raining and I needed an umbrella - But in this case I was certain that umbrella was at least going to "Open" - In Gordon's case..... Well.... We shall see -

If it is reduced to 8 games then you will have him for weeks 9 - end of season - is that worth $960? Questionable - But that's IF it's reduced -

dos centados

W
Ohhhhhhhhh, it's a PROFIT deal!