Changes needed in defensive/ST scoring?

kjduke

Re: Changes needed in defensive/ST scoring?

Post by kjduke » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:40 pm

I've never understood the lack of respect that D's get in FF, other than tradition. Greg did bump up the value in the early years to make them more valuable in the NFFC relative to what the other contests do, but I would agree with moving it along further.

Frozen Tundra

Post by Frozen Tundra » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:29 pm

I completely agree with this. The dispersion between a really bad offense and a really good one is very low. Let's just analyze points allowed. If a defense for example allows 18 points with no other stats (a very good defensive effort) it gets the same amount of points under this format as one that allows 55 points - zero. In NFL last year there were three Ds that allowed less than 17 PPG. The rest would get zero points under this system, ignoring other stats. That is quite stringent criterion to determine good vs bad. Need a bit more spacing (including negative points) in order to make selecting a D a worthwhile part of the strategy.

BigBlueNation

Post by BigBlueNation » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:03 pm

I like the rules as they are. I understand what BWaz was getting at in the original, but we also draft D/ST on potential for points. People drafted the Bears years ago because of Hester...etc But it doesn't really matter to me, I'll adjust accordingly...
Bill Cleavenger
UK Wildcats...We don't rebuild, we "RELOAD"

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:37 pm

I like it the way it is also. Many times when you have games that get out of control like this one, the scoring happens while your offense is on the field - not the defense.

Wayne

BigBlueNation

Post by BigBlueNation » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:51 pm

Coltsfan wrote:I like it the way it is also. Many times when you have games that get out of control like this one, the scoring happens while your offense is on the field - not the defense.

Wayne
We don't play this game for D/ST points. We play for offense. If the D/ST happen to score points for us, so be it. We are not going to do away with Kickers or Defense, it's part of the game we choose to play.
Bill Cleavenger
UK Wildcats...We don't rebuild, we "RELOAD"

Jim A

Post by Jim A » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:43 pm

Isn't it just the nature of fantasy football scoring? You can have a QB who plays crappy and throws the game away early and then just piles on a boatload of garbage points later against a prevent defense. Or a WR that fumbles or drops a few big 3rd downs and then late in the game catches a couple of TDs that dont matter. Or even the reverse situation of a team that blows out the other team because of a guy like Peyton Manning and the defense then has a ton of opportunities to get Ints even though they may or may not not have had a huge role in the lopsided score.

Basically points against is already accounted for in the scoring, so all you would really be doing is extending that. Whether you give more points for minimum points allowed or take away points for a ton of points allows the net effect is the same. So in the end you would just be making the defenses worth even more points. If that is your goal, then yeah you would want to do this. I may be alone, but I wouldn't want to make defenses more valuable.

TheReckoner

Post by TheReckoner » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:27 pm

In a related topic.. why do we not get points for a blocked punt? Its just as valuable as an interception or forced fumble.

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:08 pm

TheReckoner wrote:In a related topic.. why do we not get points for a blocked punt? Its just as valuable as an interception or forced fumble.
Is it? A pick or fumble unexpectedly changes possession. A punt was already changing possession, so blocking it only alters where that new possession starts.

KenGill

Post by KenGill » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:42 am

This is the same concept as the discussions several years back on QB interceptions. QB's were throwing 3 and 4 picks a game but were picking up enough garbage time yards that the overall numbers didn't look too bad. So the interceptions went from -1 to -2. I would argue that a -3 is even better, but it was a step in the right direction.

In this case there's no way Tampa's defense should have gotten anything more than big fat ZERO for their 'effort" on Thursday night, and any owner who started them should feel the full amount of pain.

Greg & Tom -- let's make some changes here for next season!
I never lost a game. I only ran out of time. Bobby Layne
Kid....if you're going to make it in this league, you're going to have to learn to drink. Bobby Layne

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:41 am

KenGill wrote:This is the same concept as the discussions several years back on QB interceptions. QB's were throwing 3 and 4 picks a game but were picking up enough garbage time yards that the overall numbers didn't look too bad. So the interceptions went from -1 to -2. I would argue that a -3 is even better, but it was a step in the right direction.

In this case there's no way Tampa's defense should have gotten anything more than big fat ZERO for their 'effort" on Thursday night, and any owner who started them should feel the full amount of pain.

Greg & Tom -- let's make some changes here for next season!
You are absolutely right (and why I started the thread). The Tony Romo "5 pick" night against Buffalo comes to mind. He still got I believe 24 points that evening even though he threw 5 INT's, and should of cost his team the game (although Nick Folk bailed him out.

Under my proposed system, only REALLY bad defenses that week will be penalized. A "minus 2" for 30-39 points allowed isn't going to make that much of a difference, and if you let up 40 or more, sorry.....you deserve to be penalized.

I agree if there was a way to not count points against for things the defense didn't allow happen (ex. a pick 6 or fumble returned for a TD) that would make it as realistic as possible.