Week 4 Thoughts and Observations

Coltsfan

Re: Week 4 Thoughts and Observations

Post by Coltsfan » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:53 pm

Wow! Hard to read some of this stuff. Let's take a look at Rivers vs Luck

Rivers

He's had one 300 yard game this year. It just so happens that he has had 9 touchdown passes which is very good. Rivers has one rushing TD the past 4 years combined and averages about 50 yards per year rushing.

Luck

He's had 3 games over 350 yards with 13 TD passes. Luck is a threat to run the ball as he has averaged 4.5 rushing touchdowns and over 300 yards rushing per year.

Rushing game: Can we really say that the Colts have a significantly better rushing attack??? Has anyone watched their offensive line this year? They are horrible and their RB's get hit 3 yards deep all the time. I never thought I would hear anyone pull "the Colts have a better rushing game card..."

Receivers: Reggie Wayne is a 35 year old possession receiver that lacks speed but is great at making plays. A true professional. Hilton is a product of the system. Small, speedy, but not someone who would thrive elsewhere. The TE's are average at best and Nicks is Nicks. SD has one of my favorite wideouts in the league in Keenan Allen. Very talented but lacking experience. Perhaps one of the best TE's of all time. And the rest is very average. Advantage SD at TE and advantage IND at WR. But I don't think Luck would have different numbers if he had SD's group of receivers.

I never said that Rivers doesn't make the players around him better.

How can you say the Colts have only played one quality opponent? The last time I checked they have played 2 teams that are winning their divisions. Both teams have had two tough opponents and 2 bad opponents.

At the end of the year, Luck will be beating Rivers by a significant amount as Rivers can't even begin to match Luck's rushing stats. Is he having a better year because he has thrown less interceptions - I wouldn't agree with that.

Forget fantasty football for a minute. If you're down 6 points and you have 80 yards to go with 1:30 left in the game, would you want Luck guiding your team or Rivers? Rivers is no slouch but that answer isn't even close. Even River's mom might have to say Luck.

Wayne

BigBlueNation

Post by BigBlueNation » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:57 pm

I'm a Rivers fan, I simply believe Luck is so much better now and will be for years to come. And yes, he makes players around him better because of his versatility.
Last edited by BigBlueNation on Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Cleavenger
UK Wildcats...We don't rebuild, we "RELOAD"

JETS SB

Post by JETS SB » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:00 pm

BigBlueNation wrote:I'm a Rivers fan, I simply think believe Luck is so much better now and will be for years to come. And yes, he makes players around him better because of his versatility.
Agreed. I cant believe this is even a debate...

David U Kennedy

Post by David U Kennedy » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:04 pm

Luck has athleticism, youth and scheduling on his side. Rivers is playing lights out and is the best player in the NFL! That's the difference. The difference is not Night and Day. Its pretty close if you look at it objectively. Luck is number 3 QB behind Rivers and Rodgers!!! That's the TRUTH!

CoMoHusker

Post by CoMoHusker » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:12 pm

Coltsfan wrote:Wow! Hard to read some of this stuff. Let's take a look at Rivers vs Luck

Rivers

He's had one 300 yard game this year. It just so happens that he has had 9 touchdown passes which is very good. Rivers has one rushing TD the past 4 years combined and averages about 50 yards per year rushing.

Luck

He's had 3 games over 350 yards with 13 TD passes. Luck is a threat to run the ball as he has averaged 4.5 rushing touchdowns and over 300 yards rushing per year.

Rushing game: Can we really say that the Colts have a significantly better rushing attack??? Has anyone watched their offensive line this year? They are horrible and their RB's get hit 3 yards deep all the time. I never thought I would hear anyone pull "the Colts have a better rushing game card..."

Receivers: Reggie Wayne is a 35 year old possession receiver that lacks speed but is great at making plays. A true professional. Hilton is a product of the system. Small, speedy, but not someone who would thrive elsewhere. The TE's are average at best and Nicks is Nicks. SD has one of my favorite wideouts in the league in Keenan Allen. Very talented but lacking experience. Perhaps one of the best TE's of all time. And the rest is very average. Advantage SD at TE and advantage IND at WR. But I don't think Luck would have different numbers if he had SD's group of receivers.

I never said that Rivers doesn't make the players around him better.

How can you say the Colts have only played one quality opponent? The last time I checked they have played 2 teams that are winning their divisions. Both teams have had two tough opponents and 2 bad opponents.

At the end of the year, Luck will be beating Rivers by a significant amount as Rivers can't even begin to match Luck's rushing stats. Is he having a better year because he has thrown less interceptions - I wouldn't agree with that.

Forget fantasty football for a minute. If you're down 6 points and you have 80 yards to go with 1:30 left in the game, would you want Luck guiding your team or Rivers? Rivers is no slouch but that answer isn't even close. Even River's mom might have to say Luck.

Wayne
Again, for the record I think Luck is a great QB and possesses all the tools to be one of the best. Rivers however is no slouch. I guess I shouldn't have said Luck has played "one quality opponent" and instead have said one quality defense. Whereas Rivers has faced three above average defenses with one being arguably the best in the league. The Colts actually have the 15th best rushing offense in the league versus the Chargers 30th ranked attack which is currently being anchored by their 3rd string RB. I'd say that's just a little worse off than what Luck is currently working with.

You didn't say that Rivers doesn't make the players around him better. You said he's only as good as the players around him. I don't think that's true. He's raised the games of an often injury prone mediocre slot receiver in Royal and elevated the status of a rookie (Allen) that only got an opportunity last year because of an injury depleted WR core. Allen has turned into a stud but I think QB play may have something to do with that. Yes, Gates is one of the all-time greats at his position but so is Wayne so I consider that a wash.

If we are talking strictly fantasy then Luck is the clear choice due to his age and athletic ability, among other things. If we are talking real football, the conversation is much closer, as Rivers has a career QB rating near 100 and Luck's is mid 80's. So, with the game on the line and two minutes on the clock, Luck may not be the clear cut choice. Unless of course, he's going against theJags or Titans defense. :lol:
Go Big Red!

Frozen Tundra

Post by Frozen Tundra » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:07 pm

I don't think the presence of a strong running game helps the great QB post better numbers. It may help the mediocre QB or the game manager, but not the elite ones. You can see elite guys going off and posting record years without a running game. Most record breaking seasons (with exception of Manning's 2004 season) were achieved without the presence of an elite RB. It kind of makes sense, if you need to cover the field, you have the talent and weapons, you are better off not sharing that real estate and the TDs with anyone from the backfield.

I see Rivers and Luck not having particularly strong running games as a big advantage to their stats. For fantasy's sake, Rodgers owners for example would want the Lacy of the first 4 weeks instead of tonight's. If GB couldn't run the ball tonight, Rodgers would have had about 5-6 TDs, lopsided game notwithstanding.

Speaking of GB, I know it's way too early and you can never take anything for granted in the NFL but the schedule looks pretty good the rest of the way. All the big games with exception of NO - ATL, PHI, NE, plus CHI and DET are at home. If the O plays like the last 4 days and the D turns half-decent, we can expect another division title and hope for maybe home field.

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:42 am

JETS SB wrote:
BigBlueNation wrote:I'm a Rivers fan, I simply think believe Luck is so much better now and will be for years to come. And yes, he makes players around him better because of his versatility.
Agreed. I cant believe this is even a debate...

AGREED!

I think the drug legalization has skewed the perspective of some of our message board members.... :o

Wayne

CoMoHusker

Post by CoMoHusker » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:53 am

No drugs here, Wayne. Just an objective observation as I watch the games. Both QB's have played outstanding thus far and I think it's splitting hairs who has been better to this point. Does Luck have more tools and upside, absolutely but very few are recognizing how great Rivers has played this year. The value he is providing fantasy teams as a double digit round selection is outstanding. I think both regress from their current paces with Luck having the better fantasy totals in the end but both will have great years.
Last edited by CoMoHusker on Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Go Big Red!

wiljiro

Post by wiljiro » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:01 am

I think this is an absolutely valid argument - But I think everyone is missing a very important point- For us, for what we do, it's not important to discuss who is "better" - or who will have a better career - That answer is obvious -

As far as I am concerned the only question that should be taken into account is what is a better pick, Luck in the 5th or 6th, or Rivers in the 13th?

Would you rather have Luck / Blount? or Rivers and say...... Reggie Wayne?

As far as value goes, so far Rivers is the guy to have in this draft.... By a country mile -

W
Ohhhhhhhhh, it's a PROFIT deal!

David U Kennedy

Post by David U Kennedy » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:35 pm

Watching the SD game today and it only affirms that Rivers is not just the best QB but player in the NFL right now. Two amazing passes under tons of pressure and he connects with Gates and Royal. One for a TD and the other a long gain on 3rd down. The accuracy and touch are near perfect. Rivers throws are so catcher friendly. That offense is unstoppable right now.