Week 8 Thoughts and Observations

Tom Kessenich

Week 8 Thoughts and Observations

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:42 am

Here are some random thoughts and observations as I wonder if Mike McCarthy’s next big plan is have Mason Crosby play quarterback instead of Aaron Rodgers in the Red Zone in a big game.

I’m not sure there are too many things we can guarantee in the NFL but Drew Brees at home in Prime Time? Yeah, he’s gonna go off.

It took two months but the Saints finally got something going downfield with Brandin Cooks. Three shot plays resulted in a drop, a touchdown and a pass interference call. Something tells me we’re gonna see a lot more of that with Cooks going forward. He could be a fantasy stud from here on out.

Welcome back Jimmy Graham. You’ve been missed.

There was a lot of talk about the allegedly improved Green Bay defense. While statistically that was true, it ignored the fact the improvement came against the likes of Christian Ponder (who stinks), Ryan Tannehill (who’s maybe a notch above stinks) and a Carolina offense bereft of high-impact talent on offense.

The bottom line with the Packers’ defense is it isn’t good enough and it hasn’t been good enough since they won the Super Bowl. Ted Thompson has failed miserably to put together a standout unit that can legitimately threaten the best offenses in the NFL.

Julius Peppers at wide receiver in the Red Zone when you have Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb? Yeah, that was monumentally stupid, Mike McCarthy.

Good things happen when Eddie Lacy is used in the passing game? Hmmm ... now where have I heard that before …

Morning football at 9:30 am Eastern Time? Oh yeah, I sure did love it.

The Falcons would’ve loved it a whole lot more if Mike Smith didn’t suffer brain lock at two critical times in the game. First, he got the ball back with timeouts and plenty of time left in the first half. But rather than turn an offense loose that had dominated the game he went into a shell. Sorry Mike, but when you have an opportunity to bury a superior team you do it. Don’t be a p***y. Secondly, when all you need to do is kneel down to win the game just kneel down and win the game.

I’m telling you, coaches so often make this game so much more complicated than it needs to be.

Life sure went from the outhouse to the penthouse pretty damn quickly for Matt Prater, didn’t it?

I love you Matt Ryan but that interception you threw was so bad even Kirk Cousins can’t believe you threw it.

Golden Tate. Yeah, I was so wrong about you. You are playing like a true stud.

On a day when quarterbacks were putting up video game numbers, I’m not sure you’ll see a better throw than the game-winning touchdown pass Carson Palmer threw to John Brown. That was an absolute beautiful and perfectly placed downfield pass on third down. Ballsy call, helluva throw and a great play by Brown to score the touchdown.

How good is Sammy Watkins gonna be in this league? So much talent.

So much for the improved Indianapolis defense.

I know he’s looked really bad for the better part of two seasons now but is it possible maybe … just maybe … the Colts missed Trent Richardson a little bit on Sunday? Their offense was disjointed without him and Boom Herron offered nothing of note as Ahmad Bradshaw’s counterpart in the backfield. Just tossing that out there.

If you didn’t start Ben Roethlisberger this week you may never recover. I'm sorry but that’s just a lot of points sitting on your bench.

A lot of points.

I mean A LOT of points.

Did I mention it was A LOT OF POINTS?

Because it was.

Geno Smith? Ummm yeah, so much for that.

J.J. Watt taking a selfie after sacking Zach Mettenberger. Welcome to the show, kid.

By the way, doesn’t the chick in the Watt commercial strike you as really annoying? Blowing off the nerdy guy who just wanted to dance was so not cool.

I’m not gonna spoil you if you haven’t seen the latest episode of “The Walking Dead” yet but I will say the following:

BAD ASS RICK GRIMES.

Yup.

Now back to football.

My biggest regret is not getting Arian Foster on a single fantasy team this year. I passed on him everywhere due to his durability concerns and while I still don’t trust him completely to stay healthy he looks fantastic right now. Huge blunder on my part not pursuing the talent.

Are all of you done falling for the Banana In The Tail Pipe … err I mean Bishop Sankey … thing yet?

On behalf of the entire fantasy industry I want to apologize for all of us who strongly advocated starting Ryan Tannehill this week. In the first 23 minutes on Sunday Tannehill led the Dolphins to a whopping 23 total yards against a clearly inferior opponent. The guy just isn’t a standout quarterback and when you start promoting guys like that they will kick you in the nads. Happens time and time again.

Based on the Who Do I Start questions I get on Twitter I’m convinced most people just don’t know how good Andre Ellington is.

Hold on, Geno Smith just threw another interception.

Welcome back Cordarrelle Patterson you’ve been missed.

Joe Flacco sure doesn’t like playing on the road against the Bengals. He’s now been held under 200 yards passing in six straight games at Paul Brown stadium while throwing five touchdowns and 11 interceptions. That ain’t good.

The Panthers have had one of the league’s weakest defenses this season. They held Russell Wilson under 200 yards passing and only surrendered one touchdown to the Seattle offense. Don’t know how to tell you this Seahawk Nation but your team still isn’t looking quite right.

Hold on Ben Roethlisberger just threw another touchdown pass.

It’s been pretty obvious since last season but I think we can officially say Hakeem Nicks is done as an impact player in the NFL. In a game which featured passing volume Nicks started for the Colts and managed a pathetic one reception. Andrew Luck wanted no part of throwing to him. Nicks has had the look of a guy who simply doesn’t want it anymore for awhile now and it’s buried a once promising career.

On the flip side, Rob Gronkowski wants it pretty badly, doesn’t he?

But drink some fluids Gronk. Sheesh.

Brandon LaFell is playing like a guy who doesn’t want his team to trade for Vincent Jackson.

Whatever quarterback magic Marc Trestman possessed last season is gone now. Maybe the Bears should’ve kept Josh McCown and let Jay Cutler walk. Could things have really been any worse if they had?

If you’re redoing the draft right now who is your No. 1 running back – Jamaal Charles, Matt Forte, DeMarco Murray or Le’Veon Bell? I don’t know about you but if I had the fourth pick I’m not gonna complain one bit.

Remember when Doug Martin was good? That was a fun few months.

Charles Sims.

Shhhh … Charles Sims.

The Chargers play one game in the next 23 days. Nobody saw that as a bit of a red flag when the schedule was made up? One game in three weeks? Seriously how f’n stupid is that.

Hold on Tom Brady just threw another touchdown pass.

There’s not a lot to get fired up about with the Bengals right now but A.J. Green’s injury may be a blessing in disguise. It’s allowed Mohamed Sanu to grow into the featured receiver role and he is flat-out ballin. Team with a healthy Green (maybe not until next season) and Cincinnati all of a sudden has one of the best wide receiver duos in the league.

It’ll get better for Blake Bortles. I still believe in him. But it sure is rough right now. That can often happen to rookie quarterbacks, though. Just ask Peyton Manning and Troy Aikman.

And finally if you started Ben Roethlisberger, Arian Foster, Mark Ingram, Emmanuel Sanders, Jeremy Maclin, Golden Tate, Rob Gronkowski and the Dolphins defense this week just go away. Please go away and never come back.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Coltsfan

Re: Week 8 Thoughts and Observations

Post by Coltsfan » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:07 am

I was the proud owner of both Big Ben and Tannehill in one of my main events. I think I set a record for bench points this week! :o

Wayne

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:09 am

Coltsfan wrote:I was the proud owner of both Big Ben and Tannehill in one of my main events. I think I set a record for bench points this week! :o

Wayne
Ouch. I saw Kay Adams Tweet that Roethlisberger was only started in 11% of NFL.com leagues this week. I immediately wondered how many of them started Tannehill and if they've stopped drinking yet.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

TR

Post by TR » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:26 pm

Golden Tate. Yeah, I was so wrong about you. You are playing like a true stud.

Golden Tate is playing like an MVP...should be in the mix for MVP.

TR

Post by TR » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:28 pm

The Panthers have had one of the league’s weakest defenses this season. They held Russell Wilson under 200 yards passing and only surrendered one touchdown to the Seattle offense. Don’t know how to tell you this Seahawk Nation but your team still isn’t looking quite right.

Not looking right because they foolishly let Golden Tate slip away.

TR

Post by TR » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:30 pm

There’s not a lot to get fired up about with the Bengals right now but A.J. Green’s injury may be a blessing in disguise. It’s allowed Mohamed Sanu to grow into the featured receiver role and he is flat-out ballin. Team with a healthy Green (maybe not until next season) and Cincinnati all of a sudden has one of the best wide receiver duos in the league.

Same can be said for Calvin Johnson's injury....Team with a healthier Calvin and Golden Tate all of a sudden becomes of the best wide receiver duos in the league...strong case can be made for Golden Tate to receive some MVP votes right now.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:20 pm

Coltsfan wrote:I was the proud owner of both Big Ben and Tannehill in one of my main events. I think I set a record for bench points this week! :o

Wayne
I started Wilson over him.

I don't feel quite as bad after seeing this, but still feel pretty lousy. :oops:

I went over Tom's post quickly, but how about the catch by Martellus Bennett for TD. It was VERY "David Tyree" like, but by a guy who weighs 240-250 lbs. Truly an awesome catch!

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:37 pm

Wayne
Now I see why you like Draft Champions leagues so much Wayne!! Makes sense. ;)
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

TR

Post by TR » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:52 pm

Is there a QB who gets more passes batted down than Tannehill? JJ Watt would set record for sWATTs against this Stiffler looking QB.

Frozen Tundra

Post by Frozen Tundra » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:31 pm

I think Chris Collinsworth said last night that Mike McCarthy and Sean Payton are the best playcallers in the NFL. I strongly disagree with the first part of that statement. MMs playcalling is what often prevents the Packers from being an absolute monster offense. I don't want to sound like I have 20-20 hindsight, but more often than not his play selection is a head scratcher. Give me a John Fox and let Rodgers be his own playcaller please.

I don't know what happened to Hakeem Nicks. This guy was an absolute freak of an athlete with the Giants. He went to a great offensive system and he can't do anything. His fall was very quick.

Speaking of quick falls, I think Doug Martin is the new Steve Slaton. Anyone remember Slaton?

And anyone who regrets starting Big Ben this week: Unless you had Kap and Big Ben, you can't possibly argue that Big Ben was a starter over your primary QB.