Regular Season Cutline Prizes Will Be Sent In December

Greg Ambrosius

Re: Regular Season Cutline Prizes Will Be Sent In December

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:07 pm

JETS SB wrote:
Greg Ambrosius wrote:
kjduke wrote:Greg, when will the cutline playoff standings go up ?
I will ask and post an answer shortly.
I saw that these were posted already, earlier today. On your cutline team, there is a link for cutline playoffs under the standings tab.
Oh yes. I didn't even see those there. Okay, thanks Alan. At the bottom of the Standings link is one for Cutline Playoffs. Then there two links for Championship Standings and Wild Card Standings with teams ranked with their weekly average score. Pretty nice. Good luck all.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:09 pm

JETS SB wrote:
Greg Ambrosius wrote:Total points trumps all.
I don't believe seeding for the teams really matters, am I right Greg? Whether you are the 1st seed or the 2nd seed in the championship bracket or if you are the 3rd, 4th, or 5th seed in the wild card bracket. It's just done in seeds to show us how we got there. It's not as though the higher seed gets an advantage. It's all points based from here on out. I understand how Matt was confused with the 1st seed being the h2h winner and the league prize winner being the points champion. Any way to make the first seed the points winner next year. Might help with the confusion a little.
No. As I tried to explain, if you pick the two playoff teams the other way around you'll have vastly different results. Picking the h2h champion first followed by total points usually gets the two best teams. If you do it the other way, the second best h2h record could be extremely different than picking the next most points. It's not seeding for anything other than correctly picking the two most worthy playoff teams. And paying most points is also the right way to go, rather than best h2h.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

JETS SB

Post by JETS SB » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:18 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
JETS SB wrote:
I don't believe seeding for the teams really matters, am I right Greg? Whether you are the 1st seed or the 2nd seed in the championship bracket or if you are the 3rd, 4th, or 5th seed in the wild card bracket. It's just done in seeds to show us how we got there. It's not as though the higher seed gets an advantage. It's all points based from here on out. I understand how Matt was confused with the 1st seed being the h2h winner and the league prize winner being the points champion. Any way to make the first seed the points winner next year. Might help with the confusion a little.
No. As I tried to explain, if you pick the two playoff teams the other way around you'll have vastly different results. Picking the h2h champion first followed by total points usually gets the two best teams. If you do it the other way, the second best h2h record could be extremely different than picking the next most points. It's not seeding for anything other than correctly picking the two most worthy playoff teams. And paying most points is also the right way to go, rather than best h2h.
Ahhh. Gotcha. I didn't think of it that way. True. If one team finishes with both the best record and the most points, then the 2nd seed would definitely be different based on seeding. Either way, the points winner should be the league winner. That is definitely the right way to go.

mattjb

Post by mattjb » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:37 pm

As it should. That's not what i'm saying. It's just confusing if total points wins the money but isn't classed as being 1st in the league that's all. Anyway it doesn't really matter.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:21 am

mattjb wrote:
As it should. That's not what i'm saying. It's just confusing if total points wins the money but isn't classed as being 1st in the league that's all. Anyway it doesn't really matter.
Again, those aren't SEEDS. They are the way we determine the two playoff qualifiers, using h2h first and then total points. There are no SEEDS for the playoffs, just qualifiers.

mattjb

Post by mattjb » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:26 am

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
mattjb wrote:
Again, those aren't SEEDS. They are the way we determine the two playoff qualifiers, using h2h first and then total points. There are no SEEDS for the playoffs, just qualifiers.
AGAIN I understand. I'm just saying as they aren't SEEDS the use of the term 1ST and 2ND is the language I would change as I said in my original post. As the players you are attracting with this format are used to head to head winning the league if they see something that describes them as coming 1ST in the play-off section but then they haven't won the league I think it could be confusing to them.

Anyway it was a throw away point i'll stop trying to help now.

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:38 pm

Matt, your point is one that was discussed at inception, but having the second qualifier as most points after the best H2H is much, much more fair if you believe points is a better indicator than W/L record. Likewise, with only one spot getting paid, it really needs to be the team with most points scored.

So that was the most logical way to set it up - if you can think of a better way to state it I'm sure Greg would be happy to adjust the rule language to be more clear ... but as is, it simply requires one to read the rule rather than assume the rule.

Sabretooth

Post by Sabretooth » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:17 pm

I never thought I'd enjoy a 10 team format but I'm liking cutline a lot, and looking forward to the playoffs.