Another MVP

CoMoHusker

Re: Another MVP

Post by CoMoHusker » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:03 pm

BigBlueNation wrote:
JETS SB wrote:After debating Rivers, Luck, Brady, Manning, and Big Ben, I think we have to throw Aaron Rodgers in the mix now. 25 TDs and 3 INT is the best ratio in the league and I don't think there are many players that mean more to their team. Amazing how many great QBs there are in the NFL right now. I personally think we can remove Rivers and Ben from the conversation at this point. I don't think there is a clear front runner amongst the remaining 4.

Brady
Manning
Luck
Rodgers

Who is your choice?
IMO, these are currently the players to be considered for the MVP, plus DMurray. Unless I'm mistaken, no WR has ever won the award, and as good as he's been this year, you might as well leave ABrown off your list. I don't see any advantage for one QB over another, YET, but if I had to give it to one player right now, it would be DMurray, the 100 yard per game streak and making Dallas a viable contender is good enough for me,
A DT and a PK have won the MVP award so I guess there's hope for a WR :lol: Not sure how Jerry Rice didn't at least get one but that's another debate. You're probably right A. Brown has little shot but if his pace continues, he will still get votes.

Brady gets my vote at this point simply because so many people were ready to write him off and declaring he could no longer play the game at an elite level. The QB play in the month of October was off the charts but Brady put his stamp on the month with the beat down of Denver.
Go Big Red!

TR

Post by TR » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:41 pm

The updated Bovada Odds for MVP are as follows...note Big Ben was at 5-1 before Sunday so he was definitely in the mix

NFL MVP - Odds to Win
12:29p

Peyton Manning (DEN) QB

2/1

Aaron Rodgers (GB) QB

3/1

Andrew Luck (IND) QB

4/1

Tom Brady (NE) QB

4/1

Demarco Murray (DAL) RB

7/1

J.J. Watt (HOU)

33/1

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:47 pm

I had no idea that there were odds on who would win mvp - thanks for posting that!

You know it's a great year of football when both Manning and Luck are in the top 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wayne

JETS SB

Post by JETS SB » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:14 pm

TR wrote: Big Ben was at 5-1 before Sunday so he was definitely in the mix
He had to face that all pro Jets secondary... give the guy a break.. :lol:

TR

Post by TR » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:05 am

JETS SB wrote:
TR wrote: Big Ben was at 5-1 before Sunday so he was definitely in the mix
He had to face that all pro Jets secondary... give the guy a break.. :lol:
Wasn't enough to overcome Justin Bieber somehow being at the Steelers Bible study...knew Bieber would be bad luck :shock:

BigBlueNation

Post by BigBlueNation » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:32 am

If everything goes as it is, this will be a close vote to determine MVP. Manning, Rodgers and Luck are doing as we (I) thought they would. Brady has excelled with the return of Gronk. It's easy to assume if Gronk wasn't healthy, and he wasn't early, Brady wouldn't be in this conversation. Maybe Gronk should be in the conversation. ;) Dallas wasn't considered to be in contention before the season started, not predicted to make the playoffs by many pundits. They haven't added any additional skill players since last year, but their OLine has improved or over achieved and Murray has stayed healthy, thus their running game (Murray) is a big reason why they are in play for a playoff spot. If it stays as is, Murray or Dallas' OLine would get my vote. :D
Bill Cleavenger
UK Wildcats...We don't rebuild, we "RELOAD"

Coach JP

Post by Coach JP » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:47 am

It's a QB award, sadly. I'd give it to Murray first.

Murray
Brady
Luck
Rodgers
Manning

Sorry, not including any Steelers in this discussion when they aren't even the best team in their division.

CoMoHusker

Post by CoMoHusker » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:34 pm

Coach JP wrote:It's a QB award, sadly. I'd give it to Murray first.

Murray
Brady
Luck
Rodgers
Manning

Sorry, not including any Steelers in this discussion when they aren't even the best team in their division.
So, is Luck being third on your list becuase he plays in a horrible division? Just trying to understand what not being the "best" team in your division a little past the half way point of the season has to do with the MVP chase.

It's much easier to be the best team in your division when the other teams in it stink. Should a player like Luck be discounted a bit considering the Colts have only beaten two teams with current winning records? I personally don't think so but if one is going to take into account where a team stands in their division then I would think one would have to evaluate the quality of wins as well.
Go Big Red!

Coach JP

Post by Coach JP » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:11 pm

No, it's a combination of watching the games and recognizing what the guy is doing as well putting his team in a position to make the post season. He's on pace for over 50 touchdowns, they have no run game, and their defense is in the bottom half of the league. If he wasn't playing lights out all year long like Ben he wouldn't be on my list either.

I suppose I should have said 'his play + his team's performance' hasn't stood out.

Big Ben has been average for most of this season and we'll never see a WR win the award plus the team isn't even playing at a high enough level to be in consideration.

IMO it's not fair to take away credit from the guy just because his division stinks. He's still performing at a high level regardless of opponent, and to say they should be 8-1 or 9-0 to be in the MVP race isn't right. Ben on the other hand, has had stinkers vs the Jets and Jags.

TR

Post by TR » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:54 pm

CoMoHusker wrote:
Coach JP wrote:It's a QB award, sadly. I'd give it to Murray first.

Murray
Brady
Luck
Rodgers
Manning

So, is Luck being third on your list becuase he plays in a horrible division? Just trying to understand what not being the "best" team in your division a little past the half way point of the season has to do with the MVP chase.

It's much easier to be the best team in your division when the other teams in it stink. Should a player like Luck be discounted a bit considering the Colts have only beaten two teams with current winning records? I personally don't think so but if one is going to take into account where a team stands in their division then I would think one would have to evaluate the quality of wins as well.
Very good pt...