Another MVP

TR

Re: Another MVP

Post by TR » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:56 pm

Coach JP wrote:No, it's a combination of watching the games and recognizing what the guy is doing as well putting his team in a position to make the post season. He's on pace for over 50 touchdowns, they have no run game, and their defense is in the bottom half of the league. If he wasn't playing lights out all year long like Ben he wouldn't be on my list either.

I suppose I should have said 'his play + his team's performance' hasn't stood out.

Big Ben has been average for most of this season and we'll never see a WR win the award plus the team isn't even playing at a high enough level to be in consideration.

IMO it's not fair to take away credit from the guy just because his division stinks. He's still performing at a high level regardless of opponent, and to say they should be 8-1 or 9-0 to be in the MVP race isn't right. Ben on the other hand, has had stinkers vs the Jets and Jags.
And yet just last week Big Ben was in the top 5 odds to win MVP...strange u don't bring up Brady stinkers for entire first month.

Coach JP

Post by Coach JP » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:42 pm

And why do you think that he's no longer in the top 5?

Roeth opened the year with two poor games, had two stinkers in the middle of the year and then just layed a dud in a must win game.

Meanwhile, Tom Brady and the Patriots are an AFC best 7-2 and (for now) have turned the corner. Should they start losing again or his play drops off he'll drop out of the top 5 like he should. I could see the case for Rodgers and Manning over either Brady or Luck, but no chance Roethlisberger is up there.

Shocking that MVP lists change weekly ;)

JETS SB

Post by JETS SB » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:33 pm

Everyone forgets how mediocre Brady looked at the beginning of the season, throwing for under 800 yards and 4 TDs in his first 4 games. He has definitely turned it around, but something has to be said for consistency.

Meanwhile, Luck has 300+ yards in 8 of his 9 games and really hasn't had a "poor" game, his worst probably against BALT. He has thrown for more INTs, but they do rely on him more than any other team relies on their QB, even Manning.

I would say that, of the 4 top guys, Manning is the favorite, because he is Manning. The AP loves him. I personally like Luck to win the award, but he probably wouldn't, at this point, unless he breaks 50 TDs. I don't like Brady... obviously, I am a Jets fan :D . Ben is not in the discussion and they wont award it to Murray unless he breaks a record. Too many fumbles and his team needs to make the playoffs, which might not be easy.

CoMoHusker

Post by CoMoHusker » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:42 pm

I'm not trying to make a case for Big Ben for MVP, as he's clearly not the front runner. I'm just saying that his stats to this point put him in the overall discussion but not at the top. Has he had a few bad games, sure but it seems that when people talk about Luck all they talk about is the stats he's putting up and don't mention that he's only led his team to two wins over teams with winning records and lost to the only two real good teams that they've faced. You can't just look at stats for one guy if you're not going to do the same for the other. Compare the two on paper and it's pretty close.

I have Brady, Manning, and Rodgers in my top three because I think they are the top tier. Luck has been putting up ridiculous numbers but he's also throwing more than any QB in the league! Did you realize that he has over 100 more pass attempts than Rodgers but just one more TD pass? He has 40 more pass attempts than Manning but three less TD's and only 170 yards more. Can you imagine the numbers Rodgers would have right now if he had chucked it up 393 times? :o

People want to also credit Luck because he is doing so much without a running game. Brady, Manning, and Rodgers all have rushing attacks that are worse than the Colts. Indy is actually 15th in the league in rushing offense with over 1000 yards and 4.0 per carry.

IMO, Brady, Manning, and Rodgers have separated themselves from the pack and it's not even close.
Go Big Red!

TR

Post by TR » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:38 pm

Coach JP wrote:And why do you think that he's no longer in the top 5?

Roeth opened the year with two poor games, had two stinkers in the middle of the year and then just layed a dud in a must win game.

Meanwhile, Tom Brady and the Patriots are an AFC best 7-2 and (for now) have turned the corner. Should they start losing again or his play drops off he'll drop out of the top 5 like he should. I could see the case for Rodgers and Manning over either Brady or Luck, but no chance Roethlisberger is up there.

Shocking that MVP lists change weekly ;)
Point is he was in top 5 last week and u still dismissed it...while not holding Brady to the same standards of stinker games in your logic. MVP lists change weekly, as does your criteria..depending on who the candidate is ;)

TR

Post by TR » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:41 pm

CoMoHusker wrote:I'm not trying to make a case for Big Ben for MVP, as he's clearly not the front runner. I'm just saying that his stats to this point put him in the overall discussion but not at the top. Has he had a few bad games, sure but it seems that when people talk about Luck all they talk about is the stats he's putting up and don't mention that he's only led his team to two wins over teams with winning records and lost to the only two real good teams that they've faced. You can't just look at stats for one guy if you're not going to do the same for the other. Compare the two on paper and it's pretty close.

I have Brady, Manning, and Rodgers in my top three because I think they are the top tier. Luck has been putting up ridiculous numbers but he's also throwing more than any QB in the league! Did you realize that he has over 100 more pass attempts than Rodgers but just one more TD pass? He has 40 more pass attempts than Manning but three less TD's and only 170 yards more. Can you imagine the numbers Rodgers would have right now if he had chucked it up 393 times? :o

People want to also credit Luck because he is doing so much without a running game. Brady, Manning, and Rodgers all have rushing attacks that are worse than the Colts. Indy is actually 15th in the league in rushing offense with over 1000 yards and 4.0 per carry.

IMO, Brady, Manning, and Rodgers have separated themselves from the pack and it's not even close.
Great points again...Rodgers has been far more efficient. And I keep hearing how Colts have no running game...15th in rushing offense at 4.0 per carry sounds like one to me!

Coach JP

Post by Coach JP » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:44 pm

TR wrote: Point is he was in top 5 last week and u still dismissed it...while not holding Brady to the same standards of stinker games in your logic. MVP lists change weekly, as does your criteria..depending on who the candidate is ;)
Not really sure I even follow where you're going. If you think I'm wrong for holding an early season struggle (Brady) lesser than an early season struggle, mid season struggle, and last game struggle (Roeth) than I'll agree to disagree.

My criteria will and always will be team success + personal success. That's what the NFL MVP is always going to be, so I have no problem using it as well. If you want to talk about who the best player is in the NFL, it's 100% Rodgers. My guess on end of season MVP? It's going to be Rodgers. Rodgers was also my pre-season MVP prediction as well.

Everyone can pretty much agree that the top 4 QB's for MVP this year (as of today) are Luck, Brady, Rodgers, Manning. I have no issue with any of the four being the MVP, so I guess that makes me a bandwagon fan. :D
Last edited by Coach JP on Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Coach JP

Post by Coach JP » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:53 pm

TR wrote: Great points again...Rodgers has been far more efficient. And I keep hearing how Colts have no running game...15th in rushing offense at 4.0 per carry sounds like one to me!
4.0 yards per carry would still be bottom 3rd of the league. The Colts rank 25th in the NFL on Football Outsiders for rushing efficiency. Their red zone rushing game is atrocious. Say what you want about Luck, but they truly don't have a good run game.

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:23 am

Yes, there is rushing and there is rushing...the Colts have used the RB's like Bradshaw out in the flats rather than between the tackles. Great for PPR and great for the Colts. Why bang it in there? Their "rushing" stats don't reflect the RB contributions.
Wayne

You mean this ain't baseball?

CoMoHusker

Post by CoMoHusker » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:26 am

Coach JP wrote:
TR wrote: Great points again...Rodgers has been far more efficient. And I keep hearing how Colts have no running game...15th in rushing offense at 4.0 per carry sounds like one to me!
4.0 yards per carry would still be bottom 3rd of the league. The Colts rank 25th in the NFL on Football Outsiders for rushing efficiency. Their red zone rushing game is atrocious. Say what you want about Luck, but they truly don't have a good run game.
I guess my point is the Patriots are averaging 3.6 YPC and have only scored three rushing TD's as a team all year. Yes, three. I just am sick of hearing how great of a year Luck is having especially since they have no running game. I'm not hearing that all in regards to Brady who clearly has an even more pedestrian rushing attack. Luck's running game is nothing to write home about but I don't think you can say they don't have one when the numbers show they are in the top half of the league.
Go Big Red!