Josh Gordon in retrospect

Greg Ambrosius

Re: Josh Gordon in retrospect

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:57 am

Joseph Galea won our NFFC Classic regular season points title this year by drafting 11th in New York League 2. He also picked up Josh Gordon for $996 in our first FAAB period. Here were his free agent pickups for the season:

Team Type Player Position Date
Mr Krab Waiver Pickup Marcedes Lewis $1 B 11/14/2014 10:17:34 PM
Mr Krab Waiver Pickup Shayne Graham $1 B 11/5/2014 10:20:02 PM
Mr Krab Waiver Pickup St. Louis DST $1 B 10/22/2014 10:21:44 PM
Mr Krab Waiver Pickup De'Anthony Thomas $1 B 10/22/2014 10:21:44 PM
Mr Krab Waiver Pickup Josh Gordon $996 B 9/10/2014 10:21:03 PM

He didn't have the money to pick up another WR the rest of the season, but held on to win his league title, $7,000 there and the $1,500 for most points during the regular season. Now he's set up for the Championship Round with Gordon down the stretch.

Say what you want about those wild early bids for Gordon -- and remember at the time nobody was certain that he would get a 10-game suspension -- but any team in the Championship Round now with Gordon on their roster because of FAAB is better than it was after Draft Day. Good luck all and enjoy the playoff run.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:27 am

Here's another very interesting stat. Greg, I hope you don't mind me quoting stats from another contest. But in the FPC this past year, guess who was the 4th most owned wide receiver in the top 30 teams? You probably already know.

Josh Gordon

Sow how is it that 20% of the top teams in the fpc managed to have incredible years despite having a dead roster spot, significantly less waiver wire money, or losing a higher round draft pick for a guy that didn't play their entire 11 week regular season????

I can answer that but I think I'll let you guess as to why.......

Wayne

Coach JP

Post by Coach JP » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:48 pm

Because they drafted well to begin with and avoided injuries.

I don't think anyone is saying you can't win spending all your FAAB on one guy early season, but it does decrease your chances of regular season cashing. If you're saying you don't need your FAAB you are saying free agency is worthless, and every year you'll never need to go to the pool. By taking Gordon for all your FAAB you are hoping you drafted well and you avoid injuries.

If you did, then congrats you've earned it and deserve the boost from Gordon. I think end of day you can sum it up by saying if you took Gordon for all your FAAB, your margin of error had to be smaller.

Me personally, I used my FAAB this year on streaming D, Dwayne Allen, Odell Beckham and Latavius Murray. I'd rather have that group than Gordon.

Drafting no one is disagreeing. Taking Gordon in the 7th+ round was a good pick since not many players provided his value.

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:39 pm

Agreed Coach, but twice as many teams had Josh Gordon verses Demaryius Thomas. DT was the number 2 overall WR and Gordon provided zero points in the 11 week regular season. How can that happen?

Wayne

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:38 am

Coltsfan wrote:Agreed Coach, but twice as many teams had Josh Gordon verses Demaryius Thomas. DT was the number 2 overall WR and Gordon provided zero points in the 11 week regular season. How can that happen?

Wayne

There is a lot of garbage ownership in that contest. The lower stakes the contest, the more likely the Gordon ownership will be higher. Actually the lower the talent level, the more likely the ownership level will be higher in overall brackets. It takes a reasonably bright owner to know the importance of a guy like him. That eliminates a lot of people in that contest. And a decent owner can easily overcome the acquisition cost with the dual flex and 1.5 TE grab during short regular season. And Gordon performed okay in the championship week. Doesn't take a decent owner to draft D. Thomas. And in that format he may be slightly less important, so it is possible that the average guy that drafted him may not be as good on average.

Coach JP

Post by Coach JP » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:02 am

Coltsfan wrote:Agreed Coach, but twice as many teams had Josh Gordon verses Demaryius Thomas. DT was the number 2 overall WR and Gordon provided zero points in the 11 week regular season. How can that happen?

Wayne
Draft spot plays a big role too, Wayne. I'd like to see where the guys who grabbed Gordon drafted from. I know not many teams in the Primetime have Demaryius, and that appears to be because that #6 spot was very hard to draft from this year. I believe out of the 20+ league titles already won in the Primetime, only one came from the #6 spot.

I'm honestly shocked Demaryius isn't the top owned WR right behind Sanders/Brown, but I think it's more to do with drafting in the middle this year. I'd have to pull the data on that.

wiljiro

Post by wiljiro » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:39 am

I posted this yesterday - Not a Josh owner - so I am not defending here - but don't really understand your point - Sixth spot in Primetime actually did just fine - Below is list of number of teams in the Championship and where they drafted -

DP # Teams
1 7
2 6
3 5
4 4
5 11
6 10
7 12
8 12
9 17
10 12
11 13
12 10

Wiljiro
Magic Man
Ohhhhhhhhh, it's a PROFIT deal!

Coach JP

Post by Coach JP » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:49 pm

Was referring to the post Greg had that showed only one league winner thus far being from the #6 spot. That data you just posted obviously goes against that, though. I hadn't pulled it myself so wasn't sure.

kingraiders

Post by kingraiders » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:37 pm

Please bench Hoyer for Gordon's sake