Win $50,000 In The NFFC Post-Season Contest

Greg Ambrosius

Re: Win $50,000 In The NFFC Post-Season Contest

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:26 am

Coach JP wrote:I personally am not joining this unless there is a cap on entries. This type of format is very similar to daily fantasy, and it's well known that the more entries a player has the more of a lottery it becomes. Not really interested in playing against a guy for $50k when he only has to spend $1500 (chump change for some) to have 10 different combinations.

Billy is right with his 5 max teams. I saw someone already has six teams, so I have a feeling that it will be a who puts up the most money type of event.
Sorry, we don't put a cap on entries in any of our other contests nor does anyone else in the industry. It's a free market. And as we've seen in the Cutline, last year's champion had one entry and won $50,000. The guy who led the regular season this year had two entries and led all 2,290 teams. For years owners have had 6 entries in the Post-Season Contest and it didn't guarantee anything, not with the number of combinations you can have among QBs, WRs, RBs, etc. It's really not our place to tell you how many entries is the right number, but extra entries can help but they don't guarantee anything.

Sorry about that, but hopefully enough people do enjoy the format and the prize pool to join. Thanks for the feedback.

And remember, we're not charging any of these entries until after Christmas, so feel free to secure your spots anytime before that without having to pay anything now. Thanks all and good luck.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Coach JP

Post by Coach JP » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:02 am

I defininetly understand that and would never expect you to cap the contest.

My point with this contest is there's only 12 teams worth of players to choose from, so having 10-15 entries really has a much bigger impact than the cutline contest. I love all your other formats and play them all because I agree anything can happen. If my post came off slanderish to the contest I apologize - just not my cup of tea!

I am not a fool though, I do know the extra 100's of entries you'll get from not capping will benefit the game more than my 3 :lol:

JETS SB

Post by JETS SB » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:16 am

Coach JP wrote:I defininetly understand that and would never expect you to cap the contest.

My point with this contest is there's only 12 teams worth of players to choose from, so having 10-15 entries really has a much bigger impact than the cutline contest. I love all your other formats and play them all because I agree anything can happen. If my post came off slanderish to the contest I apologize - just not my cup of tea!

I am not a fool though, I do know the extra 100's of entries you'll get from not capping will benefit the game more than my 3 :lol:
I have played this post season game for many years and I don't see how having players with 10-15 entries really has anything to do with your chance of winning. And I don't believe I have ever seen any one player with that many entries anyways. There are so many different combinations because you pickup players/change your lineup every week. This isn't like the other game, where you pick one lineup and the players are the same until the end. I have 2 entries in and I believe most will have between 1-5. If someone does enter 15 times, great for the contest, but my chances of winning are still the same.

Coach JP

Post by Coach JP » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:25 am

Last year there were two different price points, and I remember seeing a few players with a combined 8-10 teams. Those people definitely have the right to do it and I don't fault them for doing so.

I can't agree with you on having the same chance to win. Probability doesn't work that way. I know personally my chance to win whether I have 1 or 5 teams is still very small, but that's not what I was going for.

I'll watch the sign up list, if it's like you say and everyone is capping out at 5 or 6 then it'll be a blast. Either way it's a good, unique competition that anyone can win if it goes their way. If my posts are coming off as negative/unproductive Greg please delete them. Not trying to distract from this competition.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:16 am

Your 10-15 entries estimate isn't accurate, at least not in this contest. As Alan said, most owners take a couple of entries and the highest we've had in the past is 6 entries at each price point. But if anyone wants 10 entries, we won't discourage that. But again, with all of the different combinations of players, it's tough. I think what most guys do is pick a different starting QB and go from there. Remember, a big key is having the two biggest point producers in the Super Bowl at 4x. That's a big key to winning the grand prize, whether those two guys are QBs or WRs or whatever, but having 2 top QBs at 3x and 4x is usually a good thing. ;)
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

JETS SB

Post by JETS SB » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:54 am

Coach JP wrote: I can't agree with you on having the same chance to win. Probability doesn't work that way. I know personally my chance to win whether I have 1 or 5 teams is still very small, but that's not what I was going for.
Here is where you are misled. If someone has a lot of entries and uses 10 different QB combinations, to try and get the 2 QBs that'll be in the Super Bowl, for the highest multiplier, that doesnt mean he is the only one with that combo. With 700 entries, there might be 20-30 teams that have that combo, especially if its Brady vs Rodgers or Manning vs Rodgers. Even if its like last year where I don't believe there were more than a couple of teams that had the super bowl QB combo, but since it was Wilson and he didn't put up big numbers, I believe it was a team that initially had Andrew Luck and Peyton Manning, 2 AFC QBs, who ended up winning, and Luck was eliminated early. Crazy strategy but it worked! The point is, and specifically in this game, there is a lot more strategy involved. Who do you think will have a great playoff AND make it to the Super Bowl? With 700 entries, I have the same chance of winning with one of my two entries, than anyone else does and the guy with 10-15 entries would have a chance to lose a whole lot of money unless he finishes in the top 3. There are so many strategies in this contest than just picking a team at the start and watching them play and hopefully win.. who you pick in the 2nd week, in my mind, is just as important as who you pick at the start. This specific contest isnt a typical fantasy game. The multipliers make everything different. I think you are missing out on a lot of fun if you don't give it a try.

Coach JP

Post by Coach JP » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:26 pm

You're 100% right Jets, but I should have been more clear. I was worried there would be 10+ people loading up for this contest since it's the only one, which is what happens in the daily world. It's once you have a large group of people submitting tons of lineups that you start to get the lottery effect.

As you and Greg pointed out, I'm probably over compensating how many entries people will have. I'm sure it'll be a blast and I'll keep my eye on it.

Rog

Post by Rog » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:21 am

oops wrong post
Last edited by Rog on Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

76erfan

Post by 76erfan » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:35 am

Rog,
Is it possible those are slow drafts NFBC?

Rog

Post by Rog » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:50 am

Yes you are are correct Andy I completely forgot about having to pay for them also.