Trendsetters 2015

BillyWaz

Re: Trendsetters 2015

Post by BillyWaz » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:12 pm

BigBlueNation wrote:Phase II begins tonight at 6PM. We'll be doing 5 rounds.

My team thru 6 rounds from the 6 slot:

1.6...Antonio Brown (2nd WR OTB)
2.10...Julian Edelman (10th WR OTB)
3.10...Sammy Watkins (19th WR OTB)
4.6...Gio Bernard (18th RB OTB)
5.11...Tom Brady (5th QB OTB)
6.6...Allen Robinson (36th WR OTB)

Outside of ABrown being the safest pick in the first round, my only explanation for these picks is either I have a mancrush or they have tremendous upside with help from other teammates. :roll:
I think you are a closet Patriots fan! :lol:

BigBlueNation

Post by BigBlueNation » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:04 pm

BillyWaz wrote:
BigBlueNation wrote:Phase II begins tonight at 6PM. We'll be doing 5 rounds.

My team thru 6 rounds from the 6 slot:

1.6...Antonio Brown (2nd WR OTB)
2.10...Julian Edelman (10th WR OTB)
3.10...Sammy Watkins (19th WR OTB)
4.6...Gio Bernard (18th RB OTB)
5.11...Tom Brady (5th QB OTB)
6.6...Allen Robinson (36th WR OTB)

Outside of ABrown being the safest pick in the first round, my only explanation for these picks is either I have a mancrush or they have tremendous upside with help from other teammates. :roll:
I think you are a closet Patriots fan! :lol:
It is getting rather obvious, isn't it?
Bill Cleavenger
UK Wildcats...We don't rebuild, we "RELOAD"

Sabretooth

Post by Sabretooth » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:46 pm

My team from the 14 spot after 2 phase's(11 rounds)

RD 1 Wr Jordy Nelson
RD 2 Rb LaSean McCoy
RD 3 Wr Emmanuel Sanders
RD 4 Rb Alfred Morris
RD 5 Rb Justin Forsett
RD 6 Qb Phillip Rivers

RD 7 TE Antonio Gates
RD 8 Qb Teddy Bridgewater
RD 9 Wr Steve Smith Sr
RD 10 Wr John Brown
RD 11 TE Tyler Eifert

I wanted to start off with 1 back and 1 reciever and that worked out well for me with Jordy and McCoy. Although I hate hearing the current Mccoy trade rumor's. I like the mix of explosive players ( nelson,sanders,mcCoy) I have, along with the steadiness of guys like morris and steve smith. QB is a little concerning. I'm hoping rivers can be a top 7 Qb. I like the upside of bridgewater to help me out at that position also. All in all I like the team except for the fact that a lot of it depend's on Justin forsett. I'm hoping he resigns with balt. If so it really fortify's my RB postion. If he doesn't it could be a wasted 5th RD pick in my mind. I feel like I still have a lot of work to do.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:20 am

Glenneration X wrote:It's mid-February. I should be knee deep in baseball prep with the last thing on my agenda a fantasy football draft. I mean we're less than 2 weeks removed from the Super Bowl. Not one NFL free agent has signed as of yet. The NFL draft is still nearly a good 3 months away. Yet here I find myself focusing not on hitters and pitchers, but QB and RB's. Not on HR's and K's, but on carries and targets. Why? The Trendsetters draft has started.

This is the 7th annual Trendsetters draft. This is my 6th consecutive year participating. It remains one of the most original and interesting formats I take part in every season. It's also one of the most difficult. Between the 14 team format, the unbelievably early decisions that have to be made with limited information, the format that splits the draft into multiple phases weeks apart, the option of using any draft pick not on a specific rookie player but instead on a spot in a separate rookie draft to take place months later, and a roster of league mates filled with Overall champions, NFFC Hall of Famers, and multiple league champions galore, there may not be another draft I will take part in the rest of the year as challenging. Still, I do love being a part of this draft each season.

In my five previous years, I've won two of these. In the other three, I finished out of the money. Hopefully this season, I'll even up the score.

I went straight butter 1-14 in KDS and ended up with the 5th pick. The first phase, consisting of the first 6 rounds, was completed today. The following is how my draft has went thus far and some thoughts on the picks themselves.

1.5 - Demarco Murray - I preferred the early portion of the draft because I hoped to start my draft with a sure thing 3-down RB. Leveon, Jamaal, and Lacy were already chosen. That left me staring into the face of Demarco Murray. With the uncertainty surrounding Murray due to FA, his huge workload last season, and his injury history, I considered shifting to one of the elite WR's on the board. However, WR is extremely deep this season. 3-down backs who catch the ball and get the goalline carries are few and far between. Even if Demarco moves on from Dallas, he'll still bring his all purpose ability to his next team. If he stays in Dallas, with that offense and especially that OL, he rivals Bell as the top back available. Worth the roll of the dice. ;)

2.10 - Alshon Jeffery - Though the hands down super elite WR's were gone by the time the draft rolled back around to me in the 2nd, there still remained a couple borderline elite choices. It came down to Alshon vs T.Y. for me here. Though I felt both had similarly high upside in receptions and yardage, I felt Alshon's size made his TD upside greater.

3.10 - Andre Ellington - There were several receivers I was eyeing here that the snipers drafting before me took off the board one by one. I felt there was a clear tier drop at WR once the draft finally got back to me. So I started looking at the RB's and would have been satisfied with several of the available options there. I went with Ellington as I felt at this point, he has the least competition for carries, and the most opportunity for 3-down back duties both due to his own skillset as well as his coach's mindset.

4.5 - Peyton Manning - Obviously not the safest pick here. Still, it's the NFFC with its 6 points per passing TD, and even on an off year, Peyton was good for 39 TD's last year. Here's hoping he still has the fire to come back for one more try, his quad was the reason for his late season fade, and Denver finds a way to bring both DT and JT back to his arsenal of weapons. Wow, that's a lot of ifs!

5.10 - Greg Olsen - I'm pretty sure I was the only team left with only one WR rostered at this point and seriously considered going in that direction. Still, the WR tier at this point seemed very wide, very deep, and none without faults. I decided instead to go with possibly the last remaining option without fault at another position that is extremely shallow.

6.5 - Isaiah Crowell - Again, WR still seems deep and remains the one position I think I can possibly achieve production this year through multiple later picks, at least in a DC format. Hopefully later on in the draft I can find this year's Tate and Hopkins. ;) So I go with a RB that I'm a little surprised is still on the board due to his strong skillset and potential for huge volume next season for a team whose offense almost has to be funneled through its running game due to its non-existent passing options.

So there it is. Not the safest start, but hopefully one with some decent upside. We'll see how this team rounds out in a couple weeks when Phase 2 of this draft takes place.

Phase 2 of Trendsetters, which incorporates rounds 7 through 11, ended last night. As the only team going into Phase 2 without a WR2, I felt it a must to make that position the major focus of this phase.

Unfortunately, the bevy of young talented upside WR's that have come into the league over the last few years, especially last year, were all snapped up by my competition earlier in the draft. However, that did leave a few vets that hopefully have some gas left in the tank to help bring this team to where I want it to go. The receivers I was able to draft all typically went in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th rounds of last year's drafts. With the influx of young WR talent added to this year's inventory, I was able to grab these older vets now in the 7th, 8th, and 10th rounds.

If they still have the legs for one more productive year, I'd have gained some nice value. If not, this team could finish last. We'll see how it plays out.

My phase 2 draft....

7.10 - Vincent Jackson

8.05 - Andre Johnson

9.10 - RG III

10.05 - Michael Crabtree

11.10 - Justin Tucker

My team after 2 phases....

QB - Peyton Manning, RG III
RB - Demarco Murray, Andre Ellington, Isaiah Crowell
WR - Alshon Jeffrey, Vincent Jackson, Andre Johnson, Michael Crabtree
TE - Greg Olsen
K - Justin Tucker

Less than 3 weeks 'til Phase 3. Can't wait.

Coyote Streakers

Post by Coyote Streakers » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:28 am

Coyote Streakers wrote:Well this is my first year being in the Trendsetter draft after following it for many years. I really enjoy drafting early because there is no ADP and every round is a surprise. I received pick 10 which was my 10th or 11th choice I do not remember. Its a tough group of drafters but has a been a blast so far. Here are my picks so far, fire away!

1.10: Julio Jones- All the stud backs were gone and it was between Julio, Dez or DT. I decided to go with Julio as I feel he may have the most freakish upside of those WR's and Shanny knows how to get the ball into his #1 WR's hand. I still have visions of that GB game this year where Julio dominated, so I decided to roll with Julio and his upside.

2.05: Arian Foster- This is not a typical pick I make but after watching Foster this year dominate when playing he was tough to pass up in this DE format. Granted I will probably get 10-14 games at most out of him but I do know those games will be top 5 on a points per game basis. I felt it was important to grab at least 1 back out of my first two picks and it was Foster over J Hill at this point because of the ppr factor and Gio is still in town for cincy. I think Houston ride Foster at least one more year and I am happy to grab him in the 2nd even though there is risk involved.

3.05: DeAndre Hopkins: WR's started to go and felt I wanted one of the young and up coming WR's in the league so I selected DeAndre Hopkins. There were a few WR's I debated like Benjaman and Maclin, I took Hopkins over both because I feel he is a better overall WR and in his 2nd year finished top 15 already which was great sign of things to come. I worry Maclin could leave Philly and Benjamin who I do like alot especially for his TD output, his drops and inconsistency do scare me some. It was a close call but in the end I went with Hopkins.

4.10: Jonathan Stewart: Well this was probably my least favorite pick but RB's had started to thin out and guys like Mark Ingram had gone so I felt this was approipiate place to take a guy like Stewart who carries plenty of risk but does carry plenty of reward. Stewart has always had the talent but he has never been able to stay healthy or get out of that RBBC with DWill. I am banking on DWill being gone and Carolina wising up and riding Stewart in 2015 like they did in the second half of the year when he had some really nice games. He is still young enough and talented enough to make a splash. Will we see the same old Stewart or the one we've always hoped for? Time will tell.

5.05: Donte Moncrief: Here is a leap of faith kind of pick and shooting for the moon. I am banking on Wayne and possibly both Nicks to be gone in 2015. This would open the door for the talented but raw Moncrief who flashed his talent last year with a few big games. The appeal here for me is he has Andrew Luck as his QB and I never felt Hilton was a true #1 type WR, so if the old vets are gone it leaves Moncrief in the starting lineup which can mean good things for the kid. Hopefully its not a year to early on him but I'll take a shot.

6:10 Matthew Stattford: As I expected the QB run started so I grabbed Stattford who has fallen from graces some after last year but I still like the kid, he has a big arm and has weapons and has done it before so I took him as my first QB. He was the 11th QB off the board so I thought that was a decent spot for him.

I'd love to hear opinions or critiques of my team so far. Its always fun to hear someone else's perspective. Fire away!
Here is phase 2 round 7-11 of my team.

7.5: Devonta Freeman: I wanted to secure a 3rd rb with an opportunity to start and catch passes. With S-Jax cut in Atl I liked Freeman as a rb3 with some upside. His rookie year he seemed to catch the ball well and flashed at times. Their coach and GM speak highly of him so I am hoping he was decent value as the news had just broke on S-Jax. If Atl drafts a rb early it could hamper Freeman but he may actually be better suited in a Gio type role playing on 3rd downs and hurry up drives and sprinkled in ever few series. Overall I was pleased with Freeman as my rb3 in the 7th round of a 14 teamer.

8.10: Kendall Wright: A couple of WR's I had targeted went right before so I settled on Wright who when healthy is a very good ppr guy. He is just a year removed from a 90+ catch season and with Hunter in question he could be that 80+ catch guy again. If he gets any kind of QB play I like this kid especially in the slot where he can do damage. Last year he was a 4-6th round type guy so getting him in the 8th seemed like value and the talent is still there. I like him as a wr4.

9.5: Derek Carr: Well the nasty QB run had started and I was fortunately on the right end of the draft to grab a decent QB2. Carr had 20+ tds as a rookie and with Oakland looking to add a big play maker early in the draft I like his chances to jump up into that top 15 QB range which is very likely imo.

10.10: Kyle Rudolph: I felt I needed to grab a TE and liked Rudolph as a post hype TE from last year. It was a bad year from Rudolph with all the injuries and disappointing season. If healthy I still feel like Rudolph can have a nice year with Norv Turner there and a good young QB in Bridgewater.

11.5: Roy Helu: Sort of a speculative add here for me as Helu is a FA as I think a team like NE could make a play for him to fill the Vereen role. I've always liked Helu as a player so if given the opportunity he could excel. If I waited for the next phase he would have been long gone if he signed somewhere good. So I took a chance, could be a nice pick or a wasted pick, time will tell.

Team after 11 rounds: Overall I am pretty pleased and seems like a balanced team with some upside but some risk.
QB: M Stafford, D Carr
RB: A Foster, J Stewart, D Freeman, R Helu
WR: Julio, D Hopkins, D Moncrief, K Wright
TE: K Rudolph

Team Legacy

Post by Team Legacy » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:57 am

Coyote Streakers wrote:
Coyote Streakers wrote:Well this is my first year being in the Trendsetter draft after following it for many years. I really enjoy drafting early because there is no ADP and every round is a surprise. I received pick 10 which was my 10th or 11th choice I do not remember. Its a tough group of drafters but has a been a blast so far. Here are my picks so far, fire away!

1.10: Julio Jones- All the stud backs were gone and it was between Julio, Dez or DT. I decided to go with Julio as I feel he may have the most freakish upside of those WR's and Shanny knows how to get the ball into his #1 WR's hand. I still have visions of that GB game this year where Julio dominated, so I decided to roll with Julio and his upside.

2.05: Arian Foster- This is not a typical pick I make but after watching Foster this year dominate when playing he was tough to pass up in this DE format. Granted I will probably get 10-14 games at most out of him but I do know those games will be top 5 on a points per game basis. I felt it was important to grab at least 1 back out of my first two picks and it was Foster over J Hill at this point because of the ppr factor and Gio is still in town for cincy. I think Houston ride Foster at least one more year and I am happy to grab him in the 2nd even though there is risk involved.

3.05: DeAndre Hopkins: WR's started to go and felt I wanted one of the young and up coming WR's in the league so I selected DeAndre Hopkins. There were a few WR's I debated like Benjaman and Maclin, I took Hopkins over both because I feel he is a better overall WR and in his 2nd year finished top 15 already which was great sign of things to come. I worry Maclin could leave Philly and Benjamin who I do like alot especially for his TD output, his drops and inconsistency do scare me some. It was a close call but in the end I went with Hopkins.

4.10: Jonathan Stewart: Well this was probably my least favorite pick but RB's had started to thin out and guys like Mark Ingram had gone so I felt this was approipiate place to take a guy like Stewart who carries plenty of risk but does carry plenty of reward. Stewart has always had the talent but he has never been able to stay healthy or get out of that RBBC with DWill. I am banking on DWill being gone and Carolina wising up and riding Stewart in 2015 like they did in the second half of the year when he had some really nice games. He is still young enough and talented enough to make a splash. Will we see the same old Stewart or the one we've always hoped for? Time will tell.

5.05: Donte Moncrief: Here is a leap of faith kind of pick and shooting for the moon. I am banking on Wayne and possibly both Nicks to be gone in 2015. This would open the door for the talented but raw Moncrief who flashed his talent last year with a few big games. The appeal here for me is he has Andrew Luck as his QB and I never felt Hilton was a true #1 type WR, so if the old vets are gone it leaves Moncrief in the starting lineup which can mean good things for the kid. Hopefully its not a year to early on him but I'll take a shot.

6:10 Matthew Stattford: As I expected the QB run started so I grabbed Stattford who has fallen from graces some after last year but I still like the kid, he has a big arm and has weapons and has done it before so I took him as my first QB. He was the 11th QB off the board so I thought that was a decent spot for him.

I'd love to hear opinions or critiques of my team so far. Its always fun to hear someone else's perspective. Fire away!
Here is phase 2 round 7-11 of my team.

7.5: Devonta Freeman: I wanted to secure a 3rd rb with an opportunity to start and catch passes. With S-Jax cut in Atl I liked Freeman as a rb3 with some upside. His rookie year he seemed to catch the ball well and flashed at times. Their coach and GM speak highly of him so I am hoping he was decent value as the news had just broke on S-Jax. If Atl drafts a rb early it could hamper Freeman but he may actually be better suited in a Gio type role playing on 3rd downs and hurry up drives and sprinkled in ever few series. Overall I was pleased with Freeman as my rb3 in the 7th round of a 14 teamer.

8.10: Kendall Wright: A couple of WR's I had targeted went right before so I settled on Wright who when healthy is a very good ppr guy. He is just a year removed from a 90+ catch season and with Hunter in question he could be that 80+ catch guy again. If he gets any kind of QB play I like this kid especially in the slot where he can do damage. Last year he was a 4-6th round type guy so getting him in the 8th seemed like value and the talent is still there. I like him as a wr4.

9.5: Derek Carr: Well the nasty QB run had started and I was fortunately on the right end of the draft to grab a decent QB2. Carr had 20+ tds as a rookie and with Oakland looking to add a big play maker early in the draft I like his chances to jump up into that top 15 QB range which is very likely imo.

10.10: Kyle Rudolph: I felt I needed to grab a TE and liked Rudolph as a post hype TE from last year. It was a bad year from Rudolph with all the injuries and disappointing season. If healthy I still feel like Rudolph can have a nice year with Norv Turner there and a good young QB in Bridgewater.

11.5: Roy Helu: Sort of a speculative add here for me as Helu is a FA as I think a team like NE could make a play for him to fill the Vereen role. I've always liked Helu as a player so if given the opportunity he could excel. If I waited for the next phase he would have been long gone if he signed somewhere good. So I took a chance, could be a nice pick or a wasted pick, time will tell.

Team after 11 rounds: Overall I am pretty pleased and seems like a balanced team with some upside but some risk.
QB: M Stafford, D Carr
RB: A Foster, J Stewart, D Freeman, R Helu
WR: Julio, D Hopkins, D Moncrief, K Wright
TE: K Rudolph
Love the Julio Hopkins and Moncrief picks. I'm sure Foster will again represent value (for the games he plays), but like you, I'm concerned about Jonathan Stewart, I mean, has he finally turned the corner? I still ain't buying it. We waited too damn long. Seems like a payday push. I don't think he can hold up. He finally played what, 3 20+ carry games last year? He's due for another breakdown, lol.

Love the value you received on the Freeman pick. I think he has the goods, but something tells me that the front office will feel that their feature back isn't on their roster right now.
Twitter: @ScottFantasy

Team Legacy

Post by Team Legacy » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:54 pm

I'm going to break down this draft with Mike here in about 5 minutes on Red vs Blue.

Stop on by and have a listen!

http://tobtr.com/s/7416109
Twitter: @ScottFantasy

Rob B

Post by Rob B » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:58 pm

As phase two begins, I have 13 picks to endure before I get to take my pair on the turn. I am leaning toward taking at least one rookie coming back and maybe two if no one takes rookie 3.

7.14 – Kenny Stills (40th wr selected) – At this point, like in all 14 team NFFC drafts, I am looking to shore up positions and want to add some real depth to my core. I am feeling good with my Bell/Hyde duo and though I toyed with taking Ertz here, I decide to add a WR that should produce as a wr 3 this year. I like him more in the DCs and hope he becomes fairly steady while Cooks garnishes the attention of opposing D’s.

This pick was made prior to Stills being traded to MIA and before the paragraph was written. I think his targets and opportunities will increase with this change of venue.

8.1 – Rookie 4: At this point I felt that this player could be a difference-maker and worth an 8th round dart. This leaves me with Rookies 2 and 4. At this point in the draft I envision taking one WR and one RB with them.

When I decided to not take a 2nd QB in the 8th before the draft went back the other way, I did so thinking that at the very worst, maybe Carr or Alex Smith might make it back to me but that did not happen as 10 QBs were drafted before it got back to me.

I also toyed with taking Ertz on the last turn but couldn’t really wanted Stills and that 4th rookie. Ertz and 3 more go before it gets back to me. That leaves me as one of four teams without a TE and 26 picks before I draft again. I know I have to take at least one TE on this turn and decide to pull the trigger on two of my favorites remaining.

9.14 -Mychal Rivera – (TE14) – I liked what I saw from him last year and think his role will increase.

10.1 – Dwayne Allen – (TE15) – Fleener went before me in the 9th or else I may have considered taking them both on this turn. If I did, I would almost guarantee myself double-digit scoring each week. As it stands, I think he and Rivera might make a more than adequate duo in my lineup. I’ll have to add one more TE before the rest are gone.

11.14 – I am now resolved to the fact that I will likely have to use Rookie pick 2 or 4 on a QB to backup Rodgers and that means that I have to leave this turn with at least one RB. I decide to take one right now because my first pick in the 12th round will come right after free agency commences. That means I might have a good player drop into a great situation before I pick next. I add my 3rd RB, Terrance West – (RB42)

After 11 Rounds:

QB: Rodgers
RB: LeVeon Bell, Hyde, Terrance West
WR: DeSean Jackson, Martavis Bryant, Kenny Stills
TE: Mychal Rivera, Dwayne Allen

Rookie 2: Maybe Cooper or White?
Rookie 4: I may have to take a QB with this pick, possibly Winston or Mariotta, since I missed out on that last QB run in the 9th and 10th rounds. I was hoping that Carr or Alex Smith would make it back to me but I was wrong.

In two days I kick off phase three of the draft with the first pick in the 12th. With all of the crazy movement that took place, I think I have several really good options to choose from.

I have three players that I am considering right now. One QB, one WR and one TE.
"My mama says she loves me but she could be jiving too!" BB King

BigBlueNation

Post by BigBlueNation » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:54 pm

Phase III begins this Friday. This will be an odd/unpredictable part of the draft. We're going/gone through the FA period of the NFL, so everyone is looking at their rosters and trying to readjust or find anything to help their team. Good luck with that with this group... ;) The next five rounds will be predominantly PK's and D/ST"s. It's the necessary evil in the game we play, although it's not a given with some drafters. Zagging is good, when everybody else is zigging.. ;)

That being said, here's my team thru 11 rounds.

QB..TBrady
RB..GBernard, TRiddick, KRobinson
WR..ABrown, JEdelman, SWatkins, ARobinson, CLatimer
TE..
PK..MCrosby
D/ST..
Rookie #6

Every team has at least one TE and most teams have two or three QB's. 'Nuff said.. :cry:
Bill Cleavenger

BigBlueNation

Post by BigBlueNation » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:44 am

With Phase III completed (5 rounds) over the weekend, we are 16 rounds into the draft. As my last post suggested, PK's and D/ST's were the positions of choice in Phase III. Most teams have 2 of each, but a few have at least one in one catagory or the other. Phase IV (5 rounds) begins April 10th at 6PM ET. It will be a great part of the draft as owners look for upside sleepers and backups before the NFL draft. This is where you get that "diamond in the rough" that can aid through the Bye weeks and/or lead you to a championship. There have been 9 rookie picks selected so far, that number will probably double in the next phase.

My team through 16 rounds..

QB...TBrady
RB...GBernard, TRiddick, KRobinson, CIvory
WR...ABrown, JEdelman, SWatkins, ARobinson, CLatimer
TE...ODaniels
PK...MCrosby, SHauschka
D/ST...ACardinals, PSteelers
Rookie #6
Last edited by BigBlueNation on Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Cleavenger