Thumbs up or thumbs down on the new extra point rule???

KenGill

Thumbs up or thumbs down on the new extra point rule???

Post by KenGill » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:44 pm

I vote thumbs up. It make the play more difficult and more exciting. Rather than an automatic "1" added to the score, it now makes it a little more work. Of course teams can always go for "2" if they don't like their chances with the PAT.

It also rewards the teams with the more reliable kickers.

A good change.
I never lost a game. I only ran out of time. Bobby Layne
Kid....if you're going to make it in this league, you're going to have to learn to drink. Bobby Layne

BLACKHAND

Re: Thumbs up or thumbs down on the new extra point rule???

Post by BLACKHAND » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:39 pm

Got to go thumbs down. Don't think a game should be decided by a kicker for an extra point. Would hate to see a team drive down in a playoff game to get a late td only to miss a dumb kick and lose the game. Get rid of it completely.
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:47 pm

Like it ... a lot more 2-pointers which adds excitement to the game.

BigBlueNation

Post by BigBlueNation » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:18 pm

First of all, I hate extra points. What were they really thinking when it became part of the game? Let's give an advantage to teams that had Lou Groza or George Blanda? They could do away with it, better than that, let's see more "drop kicks" from the 10 yard line for 1 point. :)

If it has to be a necessary evil? let's put the ball on the 4 yard line for 2 points, make them think about it a little more.
Bill Cleavenger
UK Wildcats...We don't rebuild, we "RELOAD"

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:33 am

I don't care for it. I am not in favor of rogue rules by a league. The game of football has an extra point rule. It is placed at the two. It feels like an odd CFL or XFL move to go to this rule change. Not that big a deal though. Just the old school in me talking. It is probably why I don't like 6 points a TD pass, 1.5 per TE catch, or non ppr leagues as well.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:07 am

kjduke wrote:Like it ... a lot more 2-pointers which adds excitement to the game.
Nobody's doing that, though, KJ. Teams are still kicking XPs in those situations just like they always did. If we were seeing more teams go for two in the first quarter and so forth that'd be one thing. But we're not. Teams are still kicking XPs just like they did before.

This rule was absolutely moronic in my opinion. NO ONE was staying away from the NFL because extra points had become automatic. NO ONE was saying this was a huge crisis the game had to fix. The idea of punishing kickers for being good at their jobs was idiotic.

I hated this rule when it was implemented and nothing has changed to make me feel differently.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

renman

Post by renman » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:38 am

I am kind of with Tom. If it lead to more 2 point conversion attempts I would be more into it. Maybe that will happen in time. I suppose the one thing it does do is ad some drama to the extra point play. Where in the past it was a formality now there is some doubt as to the result. So from that perspective I guess it is a mild good thing for the NFL.

chriseibl

Post by chriseibl » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:40 am

I'd be more against it if it did lead to more two point conversion attempts. I'm against anything that adds to the luck factor of who wins a game and I don't think the point after should carry so much significance.

BLACKHAND

Post by BLACKHAND » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:32 pm

I would hate to see a team in the playoffs Drive 80 yards in the last minute for a game-tying touchdown only to miss the extra point.? Does a team really deserve to lose that way? Give me the good old fashioned, old school football and let the chips fall where they may.
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

KenGill

Post by KenGill » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:50 pm

BLACKHAND wrote:I would hate to see a team in the playoffs Drive 80 yards in the last minute for a game-tying touchdown only to miss the extra point.? Does a team really deserve to lose that way? Give me the good old fashioned, old school football and let the chips fall where they may.
Then with that logic why not just scrap the PAT completely. If you want it to be automatic, and say that the kicker doesn't matter, then just give the 7 for the TD. That would make for a boring game IMO.
I never lost a game. I only ran out of time. Bobby Layne
Kid....if you're going to make it in this league, you're going to have to learn to drink. Bobby Layne