Is It Time to Move the 2nd FAAB Period to Saturday?

chriseibl

Re: Is It Time to Move the 2nd FAAB Period to Saturday?

Post by chriseibl » Thu May 19, 2016 4:06 pm

BillyWaz wrote:
ForLoveOfTheGame wrote: I'm sure that might "hurt" some people who are really into college football (I am not) but I'm sure a Friday night deadline for a person with a son in high school is a lot worse. It's never going to be ideal for everyone.
This is exactly my point......forgot to mention usually not much left on Fridays anyhow, but if you are busy Friday, do it Saturday. If you are busy Saturday, do it Friday. Pretty much suits everyone.
This doesn't account for the fact that it would drive a paranoid person like me to keep checking the news throughout Saturday instead of enjoying the day off, even if there isn't frequently worthwhile news reported on a Saturday.

I prefer to keep it at Friday to prevent me from doing this and to keep the weekend open, but I respect whatever the majority opinion is. I certainly see both how those who would prefer to enjoy their weekend would prefer Friday waivers and how someone with family/work obligations on Friday nights could prefer Saturday waivers.

I'm actually with Jared in that I prefer once a week drops.

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Thu May 19, 2016 4:34 pm

This is going a different direction but since the high stakes leagues went from doing waivers once a week to doing them twice a week I dropped my managed leagues down from 25 to 5 last year. If anyone would offer leagues with waivers once a week they would get all of my business. I already hate the WW and doing it twice zaps the fun out of FF. I'm like Chris Eibl - I can't just let it go. If it was Saturday at noon then I would be spending my Saturday mornings doing FF:) :o

Wayne

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Thu May 19, 2016 5:33 pm

I agree with Chris and Wayne about checking for updates, which is why having it on Sat is diff from Friday even if it is a light news day ... I like to be available for tweaks right up to the deadline.

However, I don't mind the 2x waiver periods because there usually isn't much to do on Friday so it's a minimal commitment/fallback for late injuries.

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise » Thu May 19, 2016 6:25 pm

COZ wrote:
Cocktails and Dreams wrote:This would be a terrible idea (FOR ME) . College football is the event (FOR ME) on Saturday during the football season. Don't bastardize it by forcing people (read: ME) to deal with NFL moves on this day. It is the only day (FOR ME) to not worry about the NFL. Lets keep it that way (FOR ME).
FTFY. Just because it's a "terrible idea" for you, doesn't mean it's a "terrible idea" for all. This just allows people who actually work on Fridays to do other things on Friday evenings as Billy Waz so eloquently noted and to do the 2nd waiver period on THEIR own schedule at any time late Friday or early Saturday while still recognizing the importance of having an early deadline so we can focus on other things. Nothing about this rule would prevent those from doing their FAAB-work on Fridays.

COZ

So do your FAAB on Thursday night. I enjoy having my Saturday's free. I'm too much of a control freak that I couldn't just put bids in on players and go out for the day on Saturday without worrying about possible news coming out throughout the day.

Some people work on Friday and have to rush home to do FAAB, while some work on Saturday and would have to rush home also or if it was an early FAAB, they would be at work....... Point being that there is no right or wrong answer or what helps some will hurt others.

Ideally I would like to see the Friday deadline moved to 12 midnight Eastern time or even 1am in order to give west coasters a chance to get home, unwind and put in bids. Doesn't really matter for east coasters since we would be done with bids earlier and no news of relevance comes out that time of night that would give any one person a distinct advantage.
Winning isn't everything, but the will to win is.

TheReckoner

Post by TheReckoner » Thu May 19, 2016 6:34 pm

I totally get both sides.. No one wants to waste their Saturday... If it were to process early sunday morning couldn't that work? Say a 3am eastern, 12 pacific? That would let everyone have the night to view the news, make decisions, and apply to their faab bids...

Coyote Streakers

Post by Coyote Streakers » Thu May 19, 2016 7:54 pm

I am 100% against Saturday waivers. Leave the weekend to enjoy with family and friends.

shark

Post by shark » Thu May 19, 2016 10:14 pm

Nelson hit this right on! Add a couple hours to the Wednesday & Friday deadlines. Move the Wednesday & Friday deadlines
from 10 ET to Midnight ET? This would provide a bit more flexibility for everyone. Everyone benefits somewhat.

Perhaps we could go back to the Friday only FAAB with a Midnight deadline :D

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Fri May 20, 2016 5:37 am

The Franchise wrote:Ideally I would like to see the Friday deadline moved to 12 midnight Eastern time or even 1am in order to give west coasters a chance to get home, unwind and put in bids. Doesn't really matter for east coasters since we would be done with bids earlier and no news of relevance comes out that time of night that would give any one person a distinct advantage.
+1

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri May 20, 2016 8:10 am

Coltsfan wrote:This is going a different direction but since the high stakes leagues went from doing waivers once a week to doing them twice a week I dropped my managed leagues down from 25 to 5 last year. If anyone would offer leagues with waivers once a week they would get all of my business. I already hate the WW and doing it twice zaps the fun out of FF. I'm like Chris Eibl - I can't just let it go. If it was Saturday at noon then I would be spending my Saturday mornings doing FF:) :o

Wayne
Wayne, blame the NFL for this, not the high-stakes game operators. If we do one FAAB period per week, it would have to be before the Thursday Night Game. Then if you did that, news would come out on Thursday or Friday of injured players missing this week's games and owners would complain that the system isn't fair, that they needed a chance to pick up the backup RB now. That's really what Friday FAAB is for.

You're damned if you do and damned if you don't. I agree that Fridays aren't major FAAB days, but every now and then a major pickup happens when someone is ruled out on Thursday or Friday and not having that second FAAB wouldn't allow owners the full week of injury updates.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Rog

Post by Rog » Fri May 20, 2016 8:15 am

I am against Saturday faab. I already lose enough weekend time on sunday finishing baseball season.
I am on board with a midnight or heck why not a 1 am lock time.
I do wish we could get rid of the wednesday faab all together. I dont know how many times I have screwed up and stuck a bench player that played on Thursday in my drop list only to wake up and see I got nobody because that player wasn't eleigible to be dropped.