Skill vs. Luck

ultimatefs

Skill vs. Luck

Post by ultimatefs » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:23 pm

Originally posted by Blue_Foot:
quote:Originally posted by JohnZ:
It's not all luck.

You just suck at poker and just aren't smart enough to realize all the skills that it takes. Try reading Harrington's three volumes for starters instead of the latest conspiracy theory books.

I know from reading these books and then applying their winning theories that you and two others in the WCOFF poker game were 100% fish players.

Deny and debate all you want, but those of us that won know that you are, which is why we win consistently, which takes skill. As usual...you protest too much! I guess since you are such a poker enthusiast...you would call it a "tell". Your words speak volumes, Superstar! Keep shining my friend! Let the whole world (OK, maybe just the message board ) see you shine!
[/QUOTE]Go read the books and find out what a tell is.

Way to deflect this to be about me instead of actually looking at how weak your theories actually are.

I know what aspects I'm weak at in the game and work on them, and see Rob exploit them all the time. LOL. When Rob beats me, it certainly is not luck. Larry maybe ;)
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

boutrous11

Skill vs. Luck

Post by boutrous11 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:29 pm

it's 65% luck in my book.

sportsbettingman

Skill vs. Luck

Post by sportsbettingman » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:44 pm

Blue is stating that on a level playing field (where the participants are close or equal in skill)...there is a major luck factor in winning.

You are comparing me playing with my kids to what Blue is stating. Your argument is irrelevant.

What did you do before 2005/2006 (pre-Harrington books)...suck?

These 15 thru 19 year olds are crushing established professionals often. I'd say there is plenty of luck involved.

I know there are ways to play to minimize risking of chips, yet stay aggressive and bluff/represent hands often.

If a player can read a few books...and within 2 to 3 years be beating the best players out there...there MUST be more luck involved than you give credit to.

Take a look at how many $100,000.00 or more winners of tournaments have less than 5 years playing.

~Lance
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

ultimatefs

Skill vs. Luck

Post by ultimatefs » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:57 pm

Originally posted by Blue_Foot:
This experiment was documented by computer play and was reported by the author of Positively Fifth Street. Blue, you'd enjoy "Runner, Runner, How To beat The Pros" also.
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

wayne123

Skill vs. Luck

Post by wayne123 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:43 pm

Originally posted by Primo:
Don't listen to them, Blue. You're welcome to come and play in my weekly tourney any time you want.

We'll even let you see all the community cards. LOL! I bet you would! For the record, "Z" is correct...I am a lousy poker player.

But, I am pretty good at arguments! :D
I AM BLUE_FOOT.

Hard heads

Skill vs. Luck

Post by Hard heads » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:50 pm

Skill vs Luck question:
Had this debate with my hated rival in our local leagues as we both needed an ego stroke. The debate raged between us as I went for a 3-Peat in our local Baseball league and failed, finishing 2nd(of course that bastard won it) and he razzed me saying he was obviously the better fantasy player cause he had a 3-Peat in the football league we shared(I was in it for one of the years). So my question to those of you debating, which is tougher to do win 3 football leagues in a row or 3 baseball leagues? I told him my opinion was that shared by some if not most that Football was more luck cause it just takes getting into our playoffs, 6 of 12 teams make it, then being lucky enough to get hot for 3 weeks and have the right matchups, whereas Baseball you need to be the most consistent and best for 26 weeks. I sense he was mostly razzing me, but finishing 3rd, then 1st, 1st and 2nd is better then 1st, 1st, 1st and last in my opinion, any thoughts? I just bring this up because I vaguely remember someone comparing Baseball to Football and stating something similar.

Gordon Gekko

Skill vs. Luck

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:55 pm

Originally posted by Hard heads:
So my question to those of you debating, which is tougher to do win 3 football leagues in a row or 3 baseball leagues? if you're talking about high stakes leagues, 3 football leagues is tougher. more luck involved in football.
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

wayne123

Skill vs. Luck

Post by wayne123 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:57 pm

Originally posted by Hard heads:
Skill vs Luck question:
Had this debate with my hated rival in our local leagues as we both needed an ego stroke. The debate raged between us as I went for a 3-Peat in our local Baseball league and failed, finishing 2nd(of course that bastard won it) and he razzed me saying he was obviously the better fantasy player cause he had a 3-Peat in the football league we shared(I was in it for one of the years). So my question to those of you debating, which is tougher to do win 3 football leagues in a row or 3 baseball leagues? I told him my opinion was that shared by some if not most that Football was more luck cause it just takes getting into our playoffs, 6 of 12 teams make it, then being lucky enough to get hot for 3 weeks and have the right matchups, whereas Baseball you need to be the most consistent and best for 26 weeks. I sense he was mostly razzing me, but finishing 3rd, then 1st, 1st and 2nd is better then 1st, 1st, 1st and last in my opinion, any thoughts? I just bring this up because I vaguely remember someone comparing Baseball to Football and stating something similar. I don't mean to side track this question, it is a good one...I just don't have enough experience to answer it. But, I do want to ask you about something else:

It seems our teams have a big head-to-head match-up this week! Any predictions? I am a Steelers fan and was hoping that I could convince you to drop Roethlisberger. ;)
I AM BLUE_FOOT.

Hard heads

Skill vs. Luck

Post by Hard heads » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:02 pm

Wrong team blue_foot, I already lost to you when you went off for something like 200 when Westbrook and McNabb faced the Lions. I have FWP and will not be droping him though, LOL I play KJDuke and his Zefurs squad.

Hard heads

Skill vs. Luck

Post by Hard heads » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:03 pm

No GG they are local leagues with the same 12 guys doing it for 15 years or so. So by what I read you say the luckier guy wins 3 football leagues though and teh more skilled player wins baseball?