Why are no points given for a blocked FG or PAT

KenGill

Why are no points given for a blocked FG or PAT

Post by KenGill » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:15 am

I have Seattle's defense and was pleased to get 12 points last night (4 sacks, and held opponent to 6 total points). But I was surprised to see nothing for the blocked FG that they had. Went back to the rules and double checked, no points are given for this. Seems that a defense should get points for these valuable plays.

Thoughts?
I never lost a game. I only ran out of time. Bobby Layne
Kid....if you're going to make it in this league, you're going to have to learn to drink. Bobby Layne

Greg Ambrosius

Re: Why are no points given for a blocked FG or PAT

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:09 am

Blocking a field goal isn't considered a turnover. That being said, we could add points for any event if we wanted. But the thinking is that blocking a field goal is no different than stopping a fourth down run. As for PATs, you can already score points if you block a PAT and return for a score.

Again, any contest can add scoring if it wants to. If warranted we'd add to our scoring totals as well, but this seems like a loss of downs more than anything else.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

KenGill

Re: Why are no points given for a blocked FG or PAT

Post by KenGill » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:03 am

Certainly not complaining here Greg, love the NFFC (and NFBC).....

But I'd look into adding points for blocked FG's and PAT's. These are items that the defense should be rewarded for. Way over 90% of PAT's would put 1 point on the board for the opposing team. And well over 70% of FG attempts would give opponent 3 points. So a blocked kick, unlike a turnover, could be looked at as erasing opponent's points. You could make a pretty compelling argument that blocked kicks should reward a fantasy defense team at least as much as getting a sack, which are fun to watch, but probably not as critical to directly stopping points from being scored.
I never lost a game. I only ran out of time. Bobby Layne
Kid....if you're going to make it in this league, you're going to have to learn to drink. Bobby Layne