Live Chat With Tom & Greg: Wednesday At 3 PM ET

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:11 am

Originally posted by Sandman62:
Guys,

Which position do you think will be most affected by the lack of OTAs this year - RB or WR? WRs are already notorious for pulled hammies (and divas trying to get out of training camp). But would you shy away more from one position or the other due to increased risk this year? RB is typically the easiest skill position for rookies to learn. I don't see the lockout impacting that. WR is often very difficult and so the lockout could impact the development of rookie WRs this season and their ability to make a strong fantasy impact. I never shy away from talent so I still like guys like A.J. Green and Julio Jones, but I'm not going All In for either guy due to the lockout and other factors (multiple mouths to feed in Atlanta, for example).
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:23 am

Originally posted by doob:
First year to the NFFC, so I apologize if you've answered this question before.

In the DC format of the NFFC, what happens with regard to points when a player that was drafted before the season at one position, then is shifted to and plays at another position?

Last year, Joe Webb was listed as a WR but played the end of the season as a QB. This year, Brad Smith is listed in the drafts as a WR, but the Buffalo Bills are saying he will be listed as a QB.

Thank you for the reply. Good question doob and welcome to the NFFC. We certainly haven't had many position eligiblity changes during the season, but you are correct this season could be different. If that happens, no player would lose their eligibility that they started with and we'd have to see if we added a second position. I don't remember doing that in the past, but like we do in baseball it is possible.

For clarification, last year Webb was always listed as a QB in our game. Right now Brad Smith is definitely listed as a WR and he definitely can be drafted that way now. We'll continue to watch his situation. Dexter McCluster is certainly one player we will watch closely because the Chiefs apparently have said that he won't play WR anymore and he's definitely listed as a WR in our game now. So good question and maybe this is the year when football players add position eligibility after Draft Day.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:17 am

I was referring less to the rookies Tom and more to just the potential increased injuries at each position - even for established vets, who, like rookies, didn't have OTAs to get in shape.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:20 am

Originally posted by Sandman62:
I was referring less to the rookies Tom and more to just the potential increased injuries at each position - even for established vets, who, like rookies, didn't have OTAs to get in shape. I would not be surprised if we saw more injuried overall this season due to the lockout. But again, I'm not going to shy away from talent because of the lockout. Even though you could see more injuries to WRs, for example, doesn't mean I'd pass on players like Megatron or Roddy White. Talent will always win out for me in my drafts.

[ August 04, 2011, 10:21 AM: Message edited by: Tom Kessenich ]
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:25 am

Originally posted by FalconsGuy:
Hi guys I'm new here and I have been checking out your game from a distance for awhile now. I have a question about your "KDS". With the clear dearth of RB talent this year why would anyone choose to draft in the middle or especially late rounds? What's the advantage as I just don't see it even with the "3RR" aspect added? I think it all comes down to what each owner is looking for so I don't know if there's one universal answer for why people would pick one spot over another.

My approach is I want a stud RB in the first round. I think there are four of them this season so my preference would be to get a Top 4 pick. If that wasn't possible I'd like to move toward the backend primarily because I could get a stud WR and stud QB and, because of 3RR and the outstanding depth at RB this year, be in position to get a good RB in the third round. I'd be very happy with something like Megatron/Rodgers/Steven Jackson or White/Brees/Bradshaw.

The depth at RB is what makes the back end of the first round more appealing to me this season. I think the middle is always a safe place to be because you typically don't end up on the short end of the stick when runs begin.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:25 am

Less than 850 hours until Vegas! Woo hoo!

David U. Kennedy

Post by David U. Kennedy » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:40 am

Hi guys I'm new here and I have been checking out your game from a distance for awhile now. I have a question about your "KDS". With the clear dearth of RB talent this year why would anyone choose to draft in the middle or especially late rounds? What's the advantage as I just don't see it even with the "3RR" aspect added? Ive played In the NFFC now for 6 or so years and usually prefer the backend of a draft. The advantage I see is getting elite Wide Outs being its a PPR format. Having the high pick in the 3rd round is beneficial as well. Many nice gems can come to you at the top of the 3rd. Starting out with a stud runner is nice but carries more risk. RBs are more likely to be injured or effected by a bad offense. If you drafted say R White and Megatron late last year instead of AP or CJ early in the first round. You still would have gotten more points or close to it with the WR's. All those guys scored rite around 300 pts total. You are more likely to get 2 guys who score 300 pts or more by picking later first round. And the added bonus picking higher in the 3rd. Im no proffesional but thats my take on how I draft.

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:14 am

Hi guys I'm new here and I have been checking out your game from a distance for awhile now. I have a question about your "KDS". With the clear dearth of RB talent this year why would anyone choose to draft in the middle or especially late rounds? What's the advantage as I just don't see it even with the "3RR" aspect added? Welcome to the NFFC. I hope you win some $$$ and return again next year. Great group of owners and management is the best! :D