NFFC Ruling On Texans-Ravens Game

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:37 am

Originally posted by SNAKE:
quote:Originally posted by Fudgie the Whale:
I realize that the reality of the loss from the hurricane is the true devastation at heart, and my prayers go out to them.

I also think that we paid large cash, put drafts together with bye week considerations, and made our waiver choices this week based on the belief that Baltimore and Houston were playing this weekend.

In the NBC main this week, my starting roster includes:
Andre Johnson
Derrick Mason
Kris Brown
AND
Kevin Walter in the flex ( I have Steve Smith of CAR in the wings)

Tell me how I replace not one, but THREE position players when waivers have already run?

Then you offer a short "chastisement" that "some owners backed up their kickers and D"??? C'mon guys. How many people drafted two kickers?

You are, in effect, asking me to take multiple zeros this week as a result of your decision. That decision will most assuredly cost me any hope of a win this week, but could also seriously impact my chances of finishing in the money over the long haul.

Excuse me if I think you have made a terrible decision. ...ISHO the arrogance, ignorance and presumptuous statements by some of the MB posters here pertaining to not having "planned properly" really irks The Serpent to no end here...Ugly, GiGi Le Femme, Comrade Zzzzz's and any other comrades spewing this crap should be the ones chastised ISHO...it really is blasphemous...SNAKE
[/QUOTE]I get what you're saying SNAKE. There may not be a solution for this but if the shoe was on the other foot some folks might be taking this a tad bit more personal.

I feel bad for Fudgie and others who laid out big cash and have to deal with taking zeros...it really sucks.

It's easy for some to say "it's all about those who've been devastated by the storm...not FF".

If they really feel that way then I suggest putting in inactive players and taking a few zeros to pay respect to the hurricane victims. Not a unreasonable request for those who are lecturing those players affected to "suck it up".

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:48 am

Originally posted by Fudgie the Whale:
2. After waivers have run, ANY PLAYER not on a roster is considered to be a free agent. These players can be added to a roster at no cost, at any time.

This procedure would still give every team an equal opportunity to bid on the players that are available. After that opportunity passes, it's first come first served. We used to do this in one of our local leagues. The major complaint was that it actually did NOT "give every team an equal opportunity..." because it was more a matter of "who got up earliest in the morning or sat at their computer/tv all day".

Consider this scenario: a starting RB gets hurt on Sat. and his backup is named the starter. The owner of the original starter (and maybe several other league members) are at work, earning money to support their families. Meanwhile, Joe Unemployed is at home mooching off his parents, sitting in front of his tv/computer all day and picks up the new starting RB before anyone else in the league even hears the news.

How is that fair?

That's why we run the FAAB Wed. and Sat. nights. Everyone knows up front that no one can be picked up outside of these times.

But if a starting player is ruled out on Sun. morning, then you're still screwed. But seriously, how often does someone out of nowhere get named inactive on Sun. morning (when they weren't at least listed as questionable earlier that week)? And if they WERE questionable and an owner chose to take that risk and not back him up on Sat. night... well, that's the choice they made.

I would absolutely be opposed to a free-for-all free agent pickup process. And for what it's worth, I was the one people in my league complained about - not because I sat home all day (I work), but because I would check my computer before going to work each day, around 7am. And people who sleep til 11:00 were complaining vigorously. So we went to a waiver process. After several years of watching the worst team in the league pickup all the best waiver wire wonders, we ultimately moved to a FAAB. Adding a second one - or even running it every night - works well too.

edcnp

Post by edcnp » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:52 am

Even if people thought the game was moved to Mon when the weather would have no effect, NO ONE ever DREAMED the NFL would solve this
in this manner(has this ever happened before??).
So to solve the kickers & Def solution with "outside of the box" thinking for a "outside of the ever happen before" situation is what is called for... when teams lose by a small margin and have a ZERO for kicker or Def many many managers are going to be very upset and should be...
Remember we paid lots of money and lots of money is on the line and the teams with zero have been "harmed" vs all others if this decsion stands, and when money is involved you know what tends to follow... lets get this right before more damage is done.

mkrucek

Post by mkrucek » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:07 am

Originally posted by SNAKE:
quote:Originally posted by edcnp:
Even if people thought the game was moved to Mon when the weather would have no effect, NO ONE ever DREAMED the NFL would solve this
So to solve the kickers & Def solution with "outside of the box" thinking for a "outside of the ever happen before" situation is what is called for... when teams lose by a small margin and have a ZERO for kicker or Def many many managers are going to be very upset and should be...

...agreed, ditto and amen...SNAKE
Remember we paid lots of money and lots of money is on the line and the teams with zero have been "harmed" vs all others if this decsion stands, and when money is involved you know what tends to follow... lets get this right before more damage is done.
[/QUOTE]Not only did some people dream of it, they planned for the worst if the game couldn't be played. And it certainly wouldn't be fair to them that you now get to cover your gamble. Face it Snake, you rolled the dice and they came up snake-eyes. Greg and Tom made their decision, move on.
You'll be fine long as your pretty face holds out, then it's gonna get pretty cold out...

CC's Desperados

Post by CC's Desperados » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:57 am

Originally posted by edcnp:
Remember we paid lots of money and lots of money is on the line and the teams with zero have been "harmed" vs all others if this decsion stands, and when money is involved you know what tends to follow... lets get this right before more damage is done. I know there isn't good solution to this situation. But a defense or kicker could very easily get short points this week. If a player had to drop someone they wanted to hold, the long term effect could be worse. Last say you had to drop a back up running back to pick up another defense because you thought Baltimore would have a good year and you didn't want to risk losing them. The next week the back up running back has a starting job. He goes on to score 200+ points for the season. Keeping the player is sometimes worth taking a zero. I've not dropped a hurt player in baseball and been forced to play him in my lineup because I thought I would lose more over the long term.

I don't think there is reason for some drastic rule changes. I think in the future we as players will be aware that something like this could happen. The NFL might avoid some early games in sites who could be affected by a storm.

The only real solution would be to allow teams to play players from the Houston-Baltimore game. All scores would be on hold until the game is played. If a player gets hurt before the game is played, you won't be able to replace them. If any player is played in that game in week two and dropped, they are allowed to be picked up. But they are locked out of that game. Stats would just keep the game loaded as week two. It would be much like a baseball game that is suspended and played six weeks later.

[ September 14, 2008, 09:58 AM: Message edited by: CC's Desperados ]

renman

Post by renman » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:15 am

I completely feel for Fudgie the Whale as I have A. Johnson on nearly every team. I have Kris Brown on 75% of my teams... I will take zero at WR and Kicker in my NFFC main game due to Steve Smith being suspended and some WR's being injured. I can understand his frustration and laugh at how some here poo poo it (primarily because they were not hurt overly bad). We put up a ton of money for this... we prepare and spend a ton of time to be involved in this event and when something like this happens you feel like you are playing catch up all year.

The comments that people should have somehow prepared for this are a joke. The majority of teams who have themselves "covered" with two kickers or two defenses are the teams that have no idea what they are doing. I know a small handful of guys might have made a move specifically to deal with the chance the game could be shut down. Bravo to them. But that is maybe 1% of the NFFC and also requires having a dead spot on your roster to dump. When the NFL moved this game to Monday we had every reason to believe the game would be played out.

I accepted the decision and have moved on. It still raises issues worth talking about...

I am not a computer expert and I understand the "first come first serve" approach (to free agent pickups after the faab deadline) can't work. Here is my question.

Can we have our normal free FAAB process that works as we have it now... where the most desired free agents will be bid on and taken. Then a second FAAB runs (seldom used) from friday until noon on Sunday for emergency situations like this where owners will have access to the scraps that are still left over. This could cover teams in situations like this, or where a player somehow gets hurt or arrested (more likely) between the concluded 1st faab process and kickoff on Sunday.

This eliminates the "first come first serve" issue. Obviously this would not be used too often... but issues do come up where this can help teams and make our fantasy football experience more realistic to real football.

Just throwing out ideas.. we are always making efforts to make this event better... This is something worth talking about.

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:25 am

Originally posted by renman:
I completely feel for Fudgie the Whale as I have A. Johnson on nearly every team. I have Kris Brown on 75% of my teams... I will take zero at WR and Kicker in my NFFC main game due to Steve Smith being suspended and some WR's being injured. I can understand his frustration and laugh at how some here poo poo it (primarily because they were not hurt overly bad). We put up a ton of money for this... we prepare and spend a ton of time to be involved in this event and when something like this happens you feel like you are playing catch up all year.

The comments that people should have somehow prepared for this are a joke. The majority of teams who have themselves "covered" with two kickers or two defenses are the teams that have no idea what they are doing. I know a small handful of guys might have made a move specifically to deal with the chance the game could be shut down. Bravo to them. But that is maybe 1% of the NFFC and also requires having a dead spot on your roster to dump. When the NFL moved this game to Monday we had every reason to believe the game would be played out.

I accepted the decision and have moved on. It still raises issues worth talking about...

I am not a computer expert and I understand the "first come first serve" approach (to free agent pickups after the faab deadline) can't work. Here is my question.

Can we have our normal free FAAB process that works as we have it now... where the most desired free agents will be bid on and taken. Then a second FAAB runs (seldom used) from friday until noon on Sunday for emergency situations like this where owners will have access to the scraps that are still left over. This could cover teams in situations like this, or where a player somehow gets hurt or arrested (more likely) between the concluded 1st faab process and kickoff on Sunday.

This eliminates the "first come first serve" issue. Obviously this would not be used too often... but issues do come up where this can help teams and make our fantasy football experience more realistic to real football.

Just throwing out ideas.. we are always making efforts to make this event better... This is something worth talking about. This seems like a good idea for "emergency situations" in the future. Since this hasn't happened before to my knowledge it may not happen again. The NFL may re-think it's position in these circumstances moving forward as well which might effect our game.

It really stinks for those who have to take multiple zeros. I remember in year one we played a guy that drafted Nedney as his only kicker. Nedney blew out his knee before the 1st game and since we can't pick up F/A's until week 2 this owner had to take a zero.

We won that game by less than 2 points and went on to win our league. Anyone who thinks this situation doesn't matter either doesn't have players taking zeros or simply doesn't care. :eek: