Will KDS Work In 2007?

Coltsfan

Will KDS Work In 2007?

Post by Coltsfan » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:27 am

All it takes is a couple of the top draft choices to come up injured during 2007 and you will see very few people in the top couple of spots winning their leagues... :eek:

Three years is not a lot of history to go by and in addition to this we have had the all time single season TD record broken in 2 of these years. It should start to balance out over time.

Wayne

slam

Will KDS Work In 2007?

Post by slam » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:20 am

Hi Perry
One out of two is not so bad.
How are you?
Great article on the high stakes leagues!!

Are my numbers incorrect or my assumptions?

"There are three kinds of people in this world; those who can count and those who can't"

[ July 09, 2007, 05:26 PM: Message edited by: slam ]
Author, Fantasy Football Guidebook: Your Comprehensive Guide to Playing Fantasy Football and Fantasy Football Tips: 201 Ways to Win through Player Rankings, Cheat Sheets and Better Drafting (Available at www.fantasyfootballguidebook.com )

sportsbettingman

Will KDS Work In 2007?

Post by sportsbettingman » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:56 am

"There are three kinds of people in this world; those who can count and those who can't"

HAAAAAAA!

LOL!

~Lance
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

Greg Ambrosius

Will KDS Work In 2007?

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:28 am

I will admit that I've enjoyed reading a wild exchange on the WCOFF boards today about the merits and needs of 3RR and KDS. Not to call anyone out, but some of our own NFFC owners are on opposite sides of the debate and 3RR is still being called as a one-year knee jerk decision by myself and the NFFC.

Just to make the facts clear here: This really wasn't a one-year knee jerk reaction by yours truly. NOTHING upsets me more in running this contest than picking the draft spots and having folks complain to me and Tom about where they ended up. It got so bad that I just totally REFUSED to even touch the draft slips and I made Tom always do it. I didn't want ANY part in making someone upset.

When we instituted KDS in 2006, the over-riding preferences for football were 1,2,3. I mean, it was almost unanimous and so for someone in the NFFC to say on the WCOFF boards that we don't know that everyone's preference would be No. 1 this year is ridiculous. I have the proven facts that everyone wanted the top spots last year without 3RR. Now with 3RR, folks are willing to move down rather than up, but for the most part, 12 or 13 or 14 out of 14 owners in each league will still make 1 their No. 1 choice this year in the NFFC EVEN WITH 3RR!!

So let's set the facts straight: When people have a choice for their draft preference in a regular serpentine football draft, they WILL overwhelmingly pick one of the top spots. It's no problem if leagues are set up that way and I don't fault the WCOFF for never changing from that format. But if you talk with your customers, you'll find that finding some form of draft spot equality is one of their biggest concerns and that's what KDS/3RR does.

The argument over there is based on sentiments about change, not the facts about what the customer ultimately wants. Given a choice, they will take the fairest possible format. And I think KDS/3RR will ultimately give everyone that.

Now what are the downsides of 3RR? Could 18 of the top 32 teams this year come from the 12, 13 and 14 spots? Absolutely, which would mean we'd have the exact same scenario as last year when 1,2,3 produced 18 of the top 32 teams. Would that be a fault of 3RR or would owners kick themselves for not setting their KDS as 14, 13, 12, 1, 2, etc.? See, we're giving you the choice to pick your draft slot, so if the bottom picks succeed this year don't blame 3RR. You probably had a chance to draft down there through KDS and you'll set your preferences accordingly in 2008.

And if LT, LJ and SJ come back to normal levels, will that lesser the value of the top three picks? Probably not. 3RR isn't throwing the entire draft upside down and in fact there are some owners who feel 3RR HELPS the top three picks with an early fourth round selection. We'll see.

Yes, this is an unproven system that is new, but I want everyone to know that I didn't hastily do this after LT's big year last year. That was preceeded by Alexander's record year and before that Terrell Davis's big year, Faulk's big year, Emmitt's big year, etc. Those big years made EVERYONE want the first pick (including me) and I trust in the WCOFF everyone wants a top three pick this year too. That's okay. Nothing wrong with it. But KDS/3RR will make us announcing the draft picks easier this year, it will make receiving your draft spot easier and I'm TOTALLY convinced that it will make each NFFC league MUCH more competitively balanced this year.

Now debate the merits all you want. But please stick to the facts, even if you enjoy always taking the opposite view of things.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

sportsbettingman

Will KDS Work In 2007?

Post by sportsbettingman » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:57 am

I wish I could post a picture of that monster secretary/time card taker from "Monsters Inc."

(Greg is...)

"I'm watching you, Wazowski. Always watching. Always" :D
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

BillyWaz

Will KDS Work In 2007?

Post by BillyWaz » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:12 pm

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

Just to make the facts clear here: This really wasn't a one-year knee jerk reaction by yours truly. NOTHING upsets me more in running this contest than picking the draft spots and having folks complain to me and Tom about where they ended up. It got so bad that I just totally REFUSED to even touch the draft slips and I made Tom always do it. I didn't want ANY part in making someone upset.
I hear that Greg. In a local league where I used to be commissioner, people beatched because they got their picks the DAY OF the draft. So I suggested I pick them a week in advance.

After getting everyone's consent that they trusted me, etc. people STILL beatched and complained because "so and so got this spot", and "why did I get this spot?"

It was a pain in the arse for 12 teams who I knew for YEARS, I can only imagine what it is like for 300+ teams! :eek:

KDS gives EVERYONE a say in their pick, and 3RR makes it all that more important, as people's preferences should be VERY different this year.

The NFFC is the "league of the future" and I predict that MOST leagues will implement 3RR in the next 3-5 years (I know of one other national contest that already does it!)

Diesel

Will KDS Work In 2007?

Post by Diesel » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:37 pm

My league started KDS about 8 years ago, after I read about it in a magazine. The Kentucky Derby has been using this method forever and it seemed to be a great twist on fantasy football draft slots.

What we did was pick out of a hat from 1-12. Owners would then choose their draft spot in the order of which we took out of the hat. EVERY SINGLE TIME the person who got first choice took the NUMBER ONE SPOT. So if anyone says they don't think the #1 spot holds any kind of advantage, they're lying, or just don't know.

After the #1 spot, a lot of choices varied, but the #1 choice was ALWAYS the #1 draftslot.

KDS with 3RR lets everyone choose which spot they feel gives them the best chance to win with, whther or not they believe the #1 slot is the best spot or not. How someone could not like KDS with 3RR is beyond me, but to each their own.

Also, the NFFC isn't the only high stake game doing the 3RR this year. I'd rather not name other contests here, but I've looked into another contest that drafts live in Atlantic City that is using this method too. So 3RR can't be all that bad.

Marc
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

Raiders

Will KDS Work In 2007?

Post by Raiders » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:38 am

Greg,

Everyone knows the rules going in.
As you know I like the 3RR/KDS format.
One of the major reason I joined.

Another was when looking to join another High Stakes League, this one statement made me look at NFFC alittle closer.
'"WCOFF... SHMYCOFF! REAL men play the NFFC!".
Please but this back in your Sig. BillyWaz. :D

Guys like Marc 'Diesel' and Rob 'Ted's Cracked Head' have been nothing but helpful.
Great bunch of guys and I hope I will only add to this group.

Greg I would tell you just don't read the WCOFF message boards. But I guess you have to, to see what's being said right and wrong.

[ July 12, 2007, 09:44 AM: Message edited by: Raiders ]

Diesel

Will KDS Work In 2007?

Post by Diesel » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:53 am

Raiders, I feel that people's criticism is mostly something that stems from their own insecurities. For instance, when someone makes fun of a fat guy or girl, it's because they internally feel better about THEMSELVES as they demean someone else.

If someone on the WCOFF boards is taking time to criticize the NFFC, they are doing this to give themselves a feeling of validity for being a WCOFF participant and their decision to play that game. The fact that there are 2 High Stakes choices out there(with a few other smaller events) makes some people feel the need to knock the other event, rather than just choose their event and leave the other event alone.

This happens in all aspects of life. I'm a METS fan that lives in NY. There are people that are Yankee or Mets fans that root for their team, and don't jeer the other NY team. And then there are people who feel the need to smack talk about who's better and who's worse on an every day basis. Me? I just root for the Mets and quite frankly, don't care what the Yankees do, because it doesn't affect me. If more people went this route in every aspect of life, we'd have a friendlier world to live in.

"Daddy Diesel's Word of the Day"

LMAO

[ July 12, 2007, 09:59 AM: Message edited by: Diesel ]
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

King of Queens

Will KDS Work In 2007?

Post by King of Queens » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:58 am

Aw, c'mon Diesel -- look at how many posts you have on these message boards. You're obviously an NFFC shill. ;)