32 Teams In 32 Days: Chicago Bears

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:16 am

Next up on our team previews are the Chicago Bears. The Bears surged past the Packers and finished second in the NFC North last season at 9-7. They made one of the biggest moves of the offseason when they acquired Jay Cutler from Denver. Cutler gives Chicago its first legitimate QB in decades and will provide a major upgrade for the team offensively. Chicago’s defense is no longer elite and the team lacks talent in the passing game, but the combination of Cutler and gifted second-year RB Matt Forte will make the Bears a force again in the NFC North.

Here's a look at the Bears for 2009:

Projected lineups, with starters first:

QB: Jay Cutler, Caleb Hanie

RB: Matt Forte, Kevin Jones, Adrian Peterson, Jason McKie

WR: Devin Hester, Earl Bennett, Rashied Davis, Juaquin Iglesias, Johnny Knox

TE: Greg Olsen, Desmond Clark

K: Robbie Gould

Defense: 2008 21st in total yards allowed, 4 defensive TDs, 1 special teams TD

2008 Record: 9-7, Second Place
2009 Prediction: 9-7, Second Place

Current Average Draft Positions on MockDraftCentral.com using NFFC scoring system:

Matt Forte, 2nd
Jay Cutler, 71st
Greg Olsen, 81st
Devin Heter, 88th
Robbie Gould, 164th
Chicago D, 182nd
Earl Bennett, 188th
Kevin Jones, 210th
Rashied Davis, 220th
Juaquin Iglesias, 247th

Analysis: The last time the Bears has an elite talent at QB, ****** was running Eastern Europe, Cary Grant was the George Clooney of his era and gas cost 18 cents a gallon. So don’t think for a second the Bears aren’t elated about the arrival of Jay Cutler. Cutler has his issues (he’s not always the most mature person you’re going to run across), but his talent is undisputable. He played the entire 2007 with an undiagnosed case of diabetes and last season, he threw for 4,526 yards and 25 TDs for the Broncos. That enabled him to rank fifth among QBs in standard scoring leagues. Landing in Chicago means he won’t have Brandon Marshall and Eddie Royal to throw to and that’s why Cutler shouldn’t be viewed as an elite fantasy QB. But he’s still a Top 10 option due to his great talent and the fact standout RB Matt Forte will keep the pressure off him by virtue of establishing a powerful running game for the Bears. If you hold off on taking a QB early, Cutler will be a solid starting option and one of the few reliable ones you’ll find at the position this season.

Matt Forte had a terrific rookie season for the Bears in 2007. He rushed for 1,238 yards, caught 63 passes and scored 12 touchdowns, ranking fourth among RBs in standard scoring leagues. He was the Main Man in the Chicago offense, topping 20 touches in 12 games. He rushed for 70 yards or more nine times and caught at least three passes in a game 12 times. The Bears want to cut back a bit on his workload so he isn’t overworked. So look to see a little more of Kevin Jones this season. But given Forte’s talent and all-purpose skills, the Bears would be foolish to reduce his touches too significantly. He’s been a Top 3 pick in most preseason drafts and his value in NFFC scoring is enhanced by his standout receiving potential. Don’t hesitate to grab him if you have an early pick because he’s one of the most talented RBs in the game today. Jones rushed for only 109 yards in 11 games for the Bears last season and was a non-factor offensively. As stated above, his role will be larger this season but he’s just a Forte handcuff for fantasy owners as he wont carry meaningful value unless Forte is injured.

The Bears are lacking top-line talent at WR. Their No. 1 receiver is Devin Hester, the former return standout who is still learning the nuances of the position. Hester caught 51 passes and three TDs last season and his blazing deep speed will be utilized more effectively with Cutler at QB than the weak-armed duo of Kyle Orton and Rex Grossman, who both sputtered at the position for the Bears in 2008. Hester had at least three receptions in 10 games so he’s a viable WR3 option but given how he is still learning the position, it would be unwise to expect a major leap forward this year – even with Cutler at QB. He could double his touchdown output due to Cutler’s arrival but it would be a surprise if he topped 60 receptions in this offense. He’s being drafted a little too soon for my tastes given how he’s likely to endure several sub-par weeks during the season. Tread carefully here. Earl Bennett did not catch a pass as a rookie, but he’s someone to keep an eye on as he’s expected to start opposite Hester this season. A college teammate of Cutler’s, Bennett has had a fine offseason and his work ethic has been much improved. He’s well worth targeting as an End Game pick in larger leagues. Rashied Davis caught 35 passes for Chicago last season and is the front-runner to be the team’s No. 3 WR. At best, he could be a matchup play as a WR4 in PPR formats during the season. Rookies Juaquin Iglesias and Johnny Knox have no fantasy value at this time.

Don’t be surprised if the No. 1 receiver in the Bears’ passing game this season is talented TE Greg Olsen. Olsen broke through nicely in his second season in 2008, catching 54 passes and five TDs. That production came despite a dismal QB situation. Cutler provides a gigantic upgrade and he’s proven he will target his TE often. That all bodes well for Olsen and it’s why he’s one of my top sleeper picks at the position this season. Olsen caught four or more passes in seven games last season though his yardage often left a lot to be desired (only topping 50 yards receiving three times). He has the speed to get downfield and he’s a fine Red Zone option. Olsen has Top 5 potential at this position and is a terrific option to target once the elite tight ends are off the board. With Olsen now in the starting lineup, Desmond Clark will move to the bench. He’s still a valuable player for the Bears due to his experience and blocking skills. But he’ll offer little of substance for fantasy owners unless Olsen is hurt.

Robbie Gould is one of the more accurate kickers in the league. He made 89.7 percent of his FG attempts last season and has converted 88.1 percent the past three years. He made two FGs or more in 10 games last season and had four games with double-digit scoring. The only thing he doesn’t do is provide major long-distance production. He hasn’t made a FG longer than 50 yards in three seasons and has attempted only three from that range in that span. So don’t expect a large number of bonus points from Gould. But the Bears’ offense has a higher ceiling this season with Jay Cutler at QB and that bodes well for Gould being a consistent scoring option. He’s a fine starting kicker with Top 10 potential in 2009.

The Bears’ defense no longer strikes terror in the hearts of opposing offenses. They gave up 21.9 points per game last season and recorded only 28 sacks. However, they continued to be a strong source for touchdowns, scoring four times. Unfortunately, they have a lost a lot of steam on special teams as Devin Hester’s transition to WR has reduced his effectiveness as a return man. Chicago still has Top 10 potential as a fantasy defense but its likely they’ll be more of a committee option this season than a consistent weekly starter.

That's our take on the Bears in 2009. Who else has some insights on the Bears for 2009? Predictions on the team's record or our projected stats? Let's see them and keep this thread current throughout the off-season. Thanks all.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

da bears

Post by da bears » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:57 am

I think the Bears will win the North and finish with a 10-6 record.

I love the addition of Cutler but having no true #1 wr is going to hurt. Hester, Bennett, and the other garbage at wr scares no one.

There is a ton of pressure on Cutler to succeed....can he do it or will he fold under the pressure??

Olsen will be a top 5 te easily by the end of the year. Forte will still be a stud but Jones will take some carries away from him this year.

The pass defense is suspect and Urlacher hasn't done much the past couple of years.

All in all I think the Bears will win the division in a close race with the Packers. No concerns about the Vikings because they have no QB and the Lions will stink once again.
Bauler Shot Caller

Ry's Guys

Post by Ry's Guys » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:19 pm

I agree Cutler will make Olsen better. I'm not sold on him as a top 5 TE yet, still has some growing up to do. Very talented though and definitely has the potential. I can't say much about these WR's because, well there is not much to talk about.
Their schedule is VERY soft this year and with Lovie Smith taking back the defense and Rod Marinelli coaching the D-line I see 11-12 wins. I know you never know which teams will surprise but look at their schedule! Rams,Browns,Bengals and Detroit twice of course! That's 4-5 wins right there! Yeah I'm a Bears fan but I see a lot of wins and 1st place. Close division though with Vikes and Pack getting 9-10 wins themselves.
So again this is a non-biased opinion from a guy who will be in the North End zone with a #6 jersey on! Totally non-biased!
Pat Sorge