August 14th DC Auction Team Analysis

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:49 am

We did our second DC Auction last night and I thought I would post our team and discuss our strategy going into the auction. We feel good about our team and I'll explain why a little bit later.

Quarterbacks - budget $20 for 3

Rex Grossman $8
Matt Hasselback $10
Jeff Garcia $5

We overshot our budget here by $3 but didn't expect to get Hasselback this low. Even BigBen went for $12. We definitely targeted Grossman because he is so hit or miss. Inconsistency is great in this format as long as the upside for a huge game is there. A QB who throws for 200 with 1 TD every week is not a good option in this format.

Running Back - budget $85 for 3

Our goal was 3 decent running backs with the 3rd having some upside. We were looking at $45/$25/$15.

Laurence Maroney $37
Duece McAllister $23
Adrian Peterson $20

Maroney represents nice upside as does Peterson. Duece should be very steady. We had no desire to spend the necessary dollars for a top tier back so we were very happy to beat our budget for our top 3 backs by $5. Later we added Anthony Thomas for $4. Our biggest disappointment was not having enough money to back up Maroney late in the draft. Morris went for more than we could spend.

Wide Receiver - budget $60 for 6

Randy Moss $17
Greg Jennings $9
Donte Stallworth $6
DJ Hackett $11
Joe Horn $6
Kevin Curtis $9
Anthony Gonzalez $4
Amani Toomer $3
Mark Bradley $2

We got our top 6 guys for $57 beating our budget by $3. We were targeting deep threat/big play receivers $7-$14 range. Moss represented a good value based on upside, Stallworth just went cheap, Hackett and Curtis were guys we wanted going into the auction, and Horn was just a good value. This is a terrible group for a standard league but should work together very well for this format. Typically a top 50 WR will have 4-6 very good scoring weeks. Since a top wideout costs $35 and will have 10-11 good scoring weeks, we feel the depth more than compensates for the upper end quality.

Tight End - $20 for 2

$10 Tony Gonzalez
$10 Todd Heap

This ended up working out very well as other tight ends later went for more than these 2. By having these 2 guys we will lead the league in points at TE plus if both have great weeks the points will roll over to the flex position. We also added Michael Gaines for bye week depth for $1.

Kicker - budget $6 for 2

Rian Lindell $2
David Akers $2
Mike Nugent $2

Our goal was 3 of the mid level kickers for $6 total and that worked out perfect.

Defense - budget $6 for 3

St. Louis $2
Houston $2
Philadelphia $3
Atlanta $2

We had a couple extra dollars so picked up Philadelphia because their bye weeks opponents work very well with the other teams. Atlanta was a last pickup just because there wasn't anybody left at RB we were that interested in. This group should put up very nice numbers for us almost every week and we got all of the for the price of Baltimore. Statistically the 4th defense should add 26 points to our total points this year and we couldn't find another player that we thought would contribute that amount that late in the auction.

Several teams are very strong while a couple others are very weak. Our goal was to have some consistency at RB and high upside players who might be inconsistent at WR. When pre-planning for the auction we did end up with completely different running backs than we expected but we still feel good about it. We steered clear of the backup running backs because they rarely contribute unless there is an injury and we wanted to put money into receivers that would defintely contribute. (I bet Mark Bradley will play into our scoring 3-4 games this year.)

I'm always open for critique but since this format is fairly new there really isn't much to go by from past auctions. We'll see how it works.

Wayne

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:50 am

You did a nice job Wayne.

I had my worst auction ever. I made three critical mistakes: the first was overpaying for Big Ben, which was compounded when I grabbed a second QB with the same bye week, both of which were compounded further when I didn't grab a few solid values for an RB2 and had to spend to acquire RB depth at the expense of WR depth and a third starting QB for the bye week. Completely disgusted. Even if my team does ok because of solid player performances and good injury luck, this still was a failure in execution. :mad:

[ August 15, 2007, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: KJ Duke ]

gomizzouman

Post by gomizzouman » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:00 am

Good looking team Wayne.
It takes a great person to be truly humble, and a humble person to be truly great.

RiFF

Post by RiFF » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:33 am

Wayne, like your QB's, TE's and D's. ;)

boutrous11

Post by boutrous11 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:57 am

My strategy was to load up with 3 top rbs, worry about wide receivers 2nd, get 2 lower level qbs for about 10 bucks each, then ignore tightends, kickers, and defenses. I think I did this pretty well, even though in hindsight I shouldn't have ignored any position.

Ended up with:

-Young 9, Cutler 11, Ramsey 1, K. Collins 1, C. Simms 1
-Gore 53, Jacobs 28, Cadillac 27, Droughns 5, Maurice Hicks 1, Michael Robinson 3, Patrick Pass 1
-Fitzgerald 25, Reggie Brown 15, Brandon Jones 7, Arnaz Battle 4, Roscoe Parrish 1, Eric Moulds 1, Shaun McDonald 1
-Dallas Clark 3, Leonard Pope 1, J. Stevens 1
-Stover 3, Rayner 1, Carney 1
-Minnesota 4

What do you guys think? Any chance?

Leroy's Aces

Post by Leroy's Aces » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:40 am

Originally posted by KJ Duke:

I had my worst auction ever. I made three critical mistakes: the first was overpaying for Big Ben, which was compounded when I grabbed a second QB with the same bye week, both of which were compounded further when I didn't grab a few solid values for an RB2 and had to spend to acquire RB depth at the expense of WR depth and a third starting QB for the bye week. Completely disgusted. Even if my team does ok because of solid player performances and good injury luck, this still was a failure in execution. :mad: My team sucks, too. My values were off and by the time I figured it out, I was screwed. Not a problem, I would be glad to do the format again, and this time I would do much, much better.

In a brief glance at various teams, there are some good ones, I like RI Workhorse's team quite a bit. Nice job by most - it was challenging format.
'08 NFFC Primetime Champ

Brandon26

Post by Brandon26 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:27 pm

I wanted to try something different than the usual "be patient, and go for depth" strategy I usually use.. IMO my team ended up UGLY..

QB: Brady 20
Cassell 1

Culpepper 2
McCown 2

Huard 2

Brady is my rock.. Gonna need him to stay healthy and put up monster #'s every week.. Good luck to me.. Hope either CPep or McCown hold off Russell all year.. Need Huard to start over Croyle.. Yuck!

RB: Addai 57
Westbrook 46
Chris Brown 4

Pittman 3
Buckhalter 2
DeDe Dorsey 4

M Bush 2

Went STRONG at RB.. Very little depth, like QB, but studs a plenty.. Need C. Brown to start and Pittman to get some catches.. I see M Bush will probably go on IR, and that doesnt help too much..

WR: Hines Ward 17
Lav Coles 16
Muhammed 6

Bowe 2
Ginn 1
K Walter 1
P Price 1

Basically zero depth.. Didnt have $$ left to nab any solid backups.. Love Ward and Coles as value plays.. Need Bowe or Ginn to step up and have some good weeks..

TE: Winslow 6
O Daniels 3
B Utecht 1

Really like Winslow and Daniels this year.. If D Clark goes down, Utecht could be big..

K: Gostkowski 3
Scobee 3

DEF: Buff 3
Det 2

All in all, pretty ugly.. Need all my studs to be studs almost every week.. Ran outta cash too quick.. Coulda taken a nap after I got Brady/Westbrook/Addai early, and woken up 3 hours later to finish my team..

Probably a middle of the pack finish at best

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:50 pm

Originally posted by Leroy's Aces:
quote:Originally posted by KJ Duke:

I had my worst auction ever. I made three critical mistakes: the first was overpaying for Big Ben, which was compounded when I grabbed a second QB with the same bye week, both of which were compounded further when I didn't grab a few solid values for an RB2 and had to spend to acquire RB depth at the expense of WR depth and a third starting QB for the bye week. Completely disgusted. Even if my team does ok because of solid player performances and good injury luck, this still was a failure in execution. :mad: My team sucks, too. My values were off and by the time I figured it out, I was screwed. Not a problem, I would be glad to do the format again, and this time I would do much, much better.

In a brief glance at various teams, there are some good ones, I like RI Workhorse's team quite a bit. Nice job by most - it was challenging format.
[/QUOTE]hey Ace, there's another next week in need of a few players ... a second chance for both of us if we can get it filled ;)

[ August 15, 2007, 06:51 PM: Message edited by: KJ Duke ]

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:56 pm

I haven't wanted to look today, but here is the disaster ...

QB: Kitna * Roethlisberger * Frye

RB: M Jones-Drew * L White * W Dunn * L Jordan * D Rhodes * V Morency * B Leonard

WR: Colston * L Evans * T Glenn * I Bruce * D Boston * D Northcutt * B Stokley * A Lelie * J McCareins

TE: Crumpler * E Johnson * S Heiden

DEF: Dallas * Denver

K: Rackers * Gould

boutrous11

Post by boutrous11 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:21 pm

KJ, I sorta like your team. Not a fan of your tight ends, but everything else looks solid. If you somehow have a #2 back in there somewhere, you'll be fine.