Should We Include Individual ST Points In 2010?

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:51 am

Originally posted by Bob Squad:
quote:Originally posted by Renman:
One question.

I hope to get a clear answer as opposed to the "I don't like it cause I just dont like it!" answer...

What is the downside to having the individual player awarded 6 points when he returns a kickoff or punt for a TD?

What is the downside to this? The downside is that it is the least predictable event in football and is already covered in the DST; however, I love the idea of changing DST to just D and making the D pts more reflective of true performance. If giving the ST TD's to individuals is what it takes to get this done, then I'm for it.

Bob
[/QUOTE]I agree.

Giving ONE player the ability to produce TWO TD's for you is going to result in some W's that should not be earned is this day and age of parity. And anyone that doesn't try for this shot at an extra win at the draft or when a FAAB opp comes up if BOTH are used is kidding themselves. Fantasy owners, especially at this level, pine for ANY advantage they can ever squeak out. (Billy, I understand your other point and give you props for bringing it up, I just think this one outweighs yours a tad :D )

Except for one QB instance (Happy Billy?? LOL, the flu sucks, get the family well soon), no ONE player should result in producing TWO TD's.

FWIW, more people in this thread like one or the other. I barely prefer the individual getting them. And that's why I suggested getting rid of ST and making Def more accurate.

In terms of the existing scores for DEF PTS allowed, I would make yardage:

0-150 +5
151-200 +3
201-250 +1
251-300 0
301-350 -1
351-400 -3
400+ -5

I would also add to the existing:
18-27 PTS AGAINST = 0
28-34 = -2
35-41 = -4
42-48 = -8
49+ = -12

(this gives some symmetry to the existing low plus scores)

[ October 22, 2009, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: FantasyFactor ]
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:57 am

I like your suggestion John.

One note on the 1 player=2 TDs, I see this no different than a guy being able to draft Brady AND Moss. It's 2 positions, 2 scores for 1 TD. Just like someone could draft Sproles AND the Chargers D/ST.
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:21 am

Originally posted by Just Russ:
I like your suggestion John.

One note on the 1 player=2 TDs, I see this no different than a guy being able to draft Brady AND Moss. It's 2 positions, 2 scores for 1 TD. Just like someone could draft Sproles AND the Chargers D/ST. I understand this, but I disagree. Brady has several options to throw to. There's no guarantee it will be Moss. Sproles is the SD kick returner. You know you're getting the two td's if he does this. You don't know on a pass.

Also, Moss gets credit for the TD here. Brady gets credit for THROWING the TD. No one player should produce 12 pts from him scoring a TD.

The Sproles/SD (and all other like possibilities) yields a result that unrealistically could change the W/L in several games over the course of a year. Just give the TD to one or the other, but not both.

bobsgym13

Post by bobsgym13 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:24 am

Originally posted by Just Russ:
quote:Originally posted by Bob Squad:
One question.

I hope to get a clear answer as opposed to the "I don't like it cause I just dont like it!" answer...

What is the downside to having the individual player awarded 6 points when he returns a kickoff or punt for a TD?

What is the downside to this? The downside is that it is the least predictable event in football and is already covered in the DST; however, I love the idea of changing DST to just D and making the D pts more reflective of true performance. If giving the ST TD's to individuals is what it takes to get this done, then I'm for it.

Bob
[/QUOTE]Safetys are less predictable or less frequent than return TDs. :D
[/QUOTE]The MOST predictable is someone on the boards finding an irrelevant example to prove you wrong.

Bob
Luck in FF is like a game of Russian Roulette. The BWaz's of the world only have one bullet to spin - the rest of us have two. It's still mostly luck, but ...
-By Bob (For Gekko)

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:34 am

Speaking of parity, it's AMAZING that there are only TWO 6-0 teams in the MAIN EVENT.

There are two leagues where the best record is 4-2 and TEN leagues where second place is 4-2.

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:40 am

quote:Originally posted by Just Russ:
One question.

Bob
[/QUOTE]Safetys are less predictable or less frequent than return TDs. :D
[/QUOTE]The MOST predictable is someone on the boards finding an irrelevant example to prove you wrong.

Bob
[/QUOTE]Amen to that, brother! :cool:
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:42 am

Originally posted by FantasyFactor:
Speaking of parity, it's AMAZING that there are only TWO 6-0 teams in the MAIN EVENT.

There are two leagues where the best record is 4-2 and TEN leagues where second place is 4-2. Wow, thanks for that note. I didn't even notice that. Pretty wild.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

renman

Post by renman » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:46 am

One question.

Bob
[/QUOTE]This is the best explaination I can get as to the negative that comes with this? Lots of things are unpredictable in fantasy football.

Having said that, this is (to me) simply about removing a need to ROOT AGAINST YOUR OWN FANTASY PLAYER in an NFL football game.

Allowing this one little thing (that would happen very seldom) takes care of this while upsetting little to nothing in the fantasy football world (as evidenced by just about zero examples of a downside to this).

What am I missing?

renman

Post by renman » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:49 am

I have been playing fantasy football for 20 years and been a part of the NFFC since year one. If we awarded kick returners the 6 points on the occasion they return a kick for a td, I am quite sure it would not impact my cheat sheets one bit and I would make no effort to match up my team defense/st with a starting player I already drafted that happens to return kicks.

bobsgym13

Post by bobsgym13 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:11 am

Originally posted by Renman:
One question.

Bob
[/QUOTE]This is the best explaination I can get as to the negative that comes with this? Lots of things are unpredictable in fantasy football.

Having said that, this is (to me) simply about removing a need to ROOT AGAINST YOUR OWN FANTASY PLAYER in an NFL football game.

Allowing this one little thing (that would happen very seldom) takes care of this while upsetting little to nothing in the fantasy football world (as evidenced by just about zero examples of a downside to this).

What am I missing?
[/QUOTE]What is this earth-shattering upside that I'm missing? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Bob
Luck in FF is like a game of Russian Roulette. The BWaz's of the world only have one bullet to spin - the rest of us have two. It's still mostly luck, but ...
-By Bob (For Gekko)