Should We Include Individual ST Points In 2010?

renman

Post by renman » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:18 am

Bob,

The upside is that we do not have ROOT AGAINST our own players. It offers some protection for fantasy players who are risking injury on arguably the most dangerous play in football with zero chance for reward. It avoids the possibility (as unlikely as it is) that BillyWaz and Henry Muto described where someone could lose out on $100,000 because their own player on their fantasy team beat them with a return.

No one said there is Earth shattering upside... But there are some reasonable points being made here and I see significantly less reasonable points supporting any downside.

I respect the "argue against change for the sake of arguing against change" logic as I in the past regularly did that.

bobsgym13

Post by bobsgym13 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:19 am

It's Monday night - you have Mcnabb and your opponent has DeSean Jackson. One minute to go and you're up by 1.1 points. The Eagles are down by 5 points.

If McNabb threw an interception on the first play you would jump out of your chair and high-five your grandma.

Should we fix that?

Bob
Luck in FF is like a game of Russian Roulette. The BWaz's of the world only have one bullet to spin - the rest of us have two. It's still mostly luck, but ...
-By Bob (For Gekko)

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:23 am

Originally posted by Bob Squad:
It's Monday night - you have Mcnabb and your opponent has DeSean Jackson. One minute to go and you're up by 1.1 points. The Eagles are down by 5 points.

If McNabb threw an interception on the first play you would jump out of your chair and high-five your grandma.

Should we fix that?

YES! I would never again allow him to watch MNF with his grandma! :eek:

Bob
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

Old School

Post by Old School » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:28 am

Should we fix that?

Bob Yes, what we need fix there is someone having to watch Monday Night Football with their grandma....

renman

Post by renman » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:35 am

Should we fix that?

Bob Bob,

The only difference between the two examples is that my example (rooting against your players who are part of the return game) happens every single week to numerous players and fantasy teams.

Your example may happen once every year in one game.

mikeybok

Post by mikeybok » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:40 am

Originally posted by Renman:
One question.

I hope to get a clear answer as opposed to the "I don't like it cause I just dont like it!" answer...

What is the downside to having the individual player awarded 6 points when he returns a kickoff or punt for a TD?

What is the downside to this? Anytime you award some activity (return TD's for example) points in a high stakes FF game. A diligent owner will research the activity to account for it within the context of players he might draft. This will cause owners to research who will return punts and kickoff ... and who might be the backup returner for punts and kickoffs. Of course ... he/she will need to do this for all 32 teams in the NFL!

This is because an extra 12 to 18 points a year is significant. That's a lot of extra work for the 5 - 10 starting players who are actually effected by this rule. I for one think it's a lot of prep work to add just for return TD's.

If you say it's insignificant points ... why are we even having the discussion to include them?

I said this already in an earlier post.

UYT

[ October 22, 2009, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: Ugly Yellow Tomatoes ]
Hakuna Matata!

bobsgym13

Post by bobsgym13 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:44 am

Should we fix that?

Bob Should QB's be penalized for kneel-downs? It's a point deduction that only the winning QB gets hit with.

Two years ago, a league championship was decided by a kneel-down. A team .05 ahead went .05 down - the brutal part was that the other teams interception with 5 seconds to go led to the unexpected kneeldown.

My only point is that something will always be a little 'off' and the changes should be made to make really significant improvements.

Bob
Luck in FF is like a game of Russian Roulette. The BWaz's of the world only have one bullet to spin - the rest of us have two. It's still mostly luck, but ...
-By Bob (For Gekko)

renman

Post by renman » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:50 am

ugly,

This is about PERCEPTION. KDS and 3RR give we fantasy players the PERCEPTION we have more control over things when in reality we do not.

I find it funny that I continue to debate and discuss this topic because personally I don't have strong feelings about it at all. After reading other posts, opinions, and positions on the debate I find myself seeing things with the logic BillyWaz and others presented.

This is about creating a minor rule change that will impact very little, that ends the problem of fantasy owners having to ROOT AGAINST their own player so not to lose an offensive possession where they can generate fantasy numbers.

None of us can predict who is going to have the most punt or kick returns for TDs and we can even less predict WHEN those miracle returns will happen. I do not think this would impact fantasy football draft preparation or ADP's much, if at all... but it does offer some protection to the 5-10 viable fantasy starters who also play in the return game. And it again moves our fantasy game closer to real football. Lastly it protects against the unlikely event/example outlined by Billywaz and a few others where someone could lose 100K because their own fantasy starter beat them.

It is as simple as that.

[ October 22, 2009, 03:53 PM: Message edited by: Renman ]

bobsgym13

Post by bobsgym13 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:34 am

Fumbles on returns: Higgins(3), R Bush(2), Crayton(2), Jacoby Jones(2), one for Welker, Faulk, Burleson, Sproles, Royal, Cribbs, F Jones ...

Any thoughts on the more frequently occurring return fumble.
51 fumbles vs 7 TD's (-51 pts vs 42 pts)

Bob

[ October 22, 2009, 04:55 PM: Message edited by: Bob Squad ]
-By Bob (For Gekko)

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:35 am

Originally posted by Renman:
KDS and 3RR give we fantasy players the PERCEPTION we have more control over things when in reality we do not.
i don't beleive that one. sorry. drafting first vs drafting 14th (your top preference) makes a huge REAL difference. sorry ren