The Belichick decision... I have a question

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:15 am

What they should have done is let Indy score on the first play.

This would of given them 1:30+ to go down to the Colts 30-35 yard line and just kick a field goal for the win.

Then again, with players getting "saavy" and falling down at the 1-yard line, maybe it wouldn't have worked. :D

I wonder if people would be talking if Jacksonville missed the field goal? :eek:

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:18 am

Originally posted by sportsbettingman:
Use all 4 downs to get those 10 yards like I do in Madden to great success.
Hmmmm......Maybe I should send the Yankees a tape of me hitting the ball out of the park on the Wii!

"Where fantasy meets reality"! ;)

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:19 am

Originally posted by BillyWaz:
What they should have done is let Indy score on the first play.

This would of given them 1:30+ to go down to the Colts 30-35 yard line and just kick a field goal for the win.

Then again, with players getting "saavy" and falling down at the 1-yard line, maybe it wouldn't have worked. :D

I wonder if people would be talking if Jacksonville missed the field goal? :eek: That thought always crosses my mind. (The "let them score to save time on the clock" move)

Perfect time/place/score and opponent to allow an easy score and play the odds with a solid kicker and no weather elements. (That is once the 4th down try failed and time was becoming critical)

[ November 16, 2009, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: sportsbettingman ]
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:24 am

Originally posted by sportsbettingman:
Up to that point in the game...IND had 12 possesions resulting in 4 TD's.

I'd say punting at that point would have allowed New England closer to a 66% chance of winning the game.

...and with the 2 min. warning and the timeouts remaining...getting the first down would not have iced the game anyway...making the risk even more stupid. I was thinking the same thing Lance. Even a rabid Colts fan like me wouldn't give more than 50/50 after watching Garcon and Collie drop balls all night long.
2 drives prior to the last NE FG were thwarted by a drop from each of those young recievers.
No matter how good Manning is the ball still has to be hauled in.

flex

Post by flex » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:34 am

The real dumb move was not allowing addai to score on the play where he broke the long run down to the goal line. If the coach didn't have faith in his defense stopping them from going 70 yards what faith would he have stopped them from going 1 yard?

stage4mtbk

Post by stage4mtbk » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:58 am

I don't think the percentages people are throwing out are right. I think the Colts score less than 50% and the Pat's making the 2 yards is closer to 50% than 75%. But, we could argue those numbers all day. The real problem is the message you send to your defense.... We don't trust you to stop a team that needs to go 70ish yards in less than 2 minutes. For that reason alone I think that it was a horrible call, and I loved that it bit that ***** in the butt. Can't stand him. Karma Baby!!!!!

Raiders

Post by Raiders » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:05 am

Originally posted by Geardaddy:
I don't think the percentages people are throwing out are right. I think the Colts score less than 50% and the Pat's making the 2 yards is closer to 50% than 75%. But, we could argue those numbers all day. The real problem is the message you send to your defense.... We don't trust you to stop a team that needs to go 70ish yards in less than 2 minutes. For that reason alone I think that it was a horrible call, and I loved that it bit that ***** in the butt. Can't stand him. Karma Baby!!!!! Belichick thought he was coaching at a High School level. It was the wrong call at the wrong time.

Look at it this way, if you don't think you can stop the Colts and you have to get that 1st donwn than why did he make the calls that he did.

(2:23) (Shotgun) 33-K.Faulk up the middle to NE 20 for no gain (79-R.Brock).

Timeout #1 by IND at 02:18.
2-10-NE 20 (2:18) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short right to 83-W.Welker to NE 28 for 8 yards (27-J.Lacey, 55-C.Session).

Timeout #2 by IND at 02:11.
3-2-NE 28 (2:11) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete short right to 83-W.Welker (25-J.Powers).

Timeout #3 by NE at 02:08.
4-2-NE 28 (2:08) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short right to 33-K.Faulk to NE 29 for 1 yard (33-M.Bullitt).

They used all 3 timeout and didn't throw on first down and they didn't throw the ball Down field.

(2:23) (Shotgun) 33-K.Faulk up the middle to NE 20 for no gain (79-R.Brock).

Timeout #1 by IND at 02:18.
2-10-NE 20 (2:18) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short right to 83-W.Welker to NE 28 for 8 yards (27-J.Lacey, 55-C.Session).

Timeout #2 by IND at 02:11.
3-2-NE 28 (2:11) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete short right to 83-W.Welker (25-J.Powers).

Timeout #3 by NE at 02:08.
4-2-NE 28 (2:08) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short right to 33-K.Faulk to NE 29 for 1 yard (33-M.Bullitt).

* I'll call it now a Belichick coached(HC) team will never win a Super Bowl again!.

John

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:13 am

Originally posted by flex:
The real dumb move was not allowing addai to score on the play where he broke the long run down to the goal line. If the coach didn't have faith in his defense stopping them from going 70 yards what faith would he have stopped them from going 1 yard? Do you by chance have Addai on your fantasy team? ;)

liquidhippo

Post by liquidhippo » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:17 am

I love the call. I'm not a Patriot fan, but maybe I'll become one because FINALLY here's a coach that's not afraid to play the game. I'm tired all these pansy coaches playing not to lose instead of playing to win. Why not take the bull by the horns and do something proactive to win the game instead of just being passive, punting, and hope that the Colts fail? I don't buy the 'you're not showing trust in your defense' theory, as you can just as equally say that punting is not showing trust in the offense, AND just maybe you're saying you think the D is good enough to stop them anyway if they don't make it.

Every week it seems I see a situation like this, and the coach punts, and in 2-3 plays the opposing team is right back at the 4th down line of scrimmage anyway. Nobody rips the punt decision then, but they should.

Bravo Bellichick!!

Punting is the WORST part about football. It rewards cowards who are afraid of risk. I say eliminate ALL punting from the game. MAKE teams go for it on 4th down. Now THAT would be exciting.

:)

Raiders

Post by Raiders » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:20 am

Originally posted by Liquid Hippo:
I love the call. I'm not a Patriot fan, but maybe I'll become one because FINALLY here's a coach that's not afraid to play the game. I'm tired all these pansy coaches playing not to lose instead of playing to win. Why not take the bull by the horns and do something proactive to win the game instead of just being passive, punting, and hope that the Colts fail? I don't buy the 'you're not showing trust in your defense' theory, as you can just as equally say that punting is not showing trust in the offense, AND just maybe you're saying you think the D is good enough to stop them anyway if they don't make it.

Every week it seems I see a situation like this, and the coach punts, and in 2-3 plays the opposing team is right back at the 4th down line of scrimmage anyway. Nobody rips the punt decision then, but they should.

Bravo Bellichick!!

Punting is the WORST part about football. It rewards cowards who are afraid of risk. I say eliminate ALL punting from the game. MAKE teams go for it on 4th down. Now THAT would be exciting.

:) Than throw the ball past the first down marker! ;)