GOD Hates You

The Belichick decision... I have a question

Post by GOD Hates You » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:25 am

How about some other issues.
1)botched snap on the punt.
2)punt blocked
3)punt return for a TD.
4)punt return to the NE 28.
Everybody is assuming 40 yards no return or at least a 40 yard net on the punt. Neither is a given.

If you were watching the game, watching the Colts dominate in the 4th, what would you say when and if the Colts got the ball on their own 30. Guarantee a majority would predict a Colt TD.
I would have liked a fake punt on 4th. That would have caught the Colts off guard. And if you don't make it, the Colts get the ball just about where the ended up getting it.

Only a few years ago the Titans kicked on sides kicks every chance they could because they new that their defense could not stop the Colts. They figured they would try to give the Colts the shortest field they could and try to give them less possessions.
I bet Jeff Fisher agrees with the decision.

Thanks and have a nice day

bobsgym13

Post by bobsgym13 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:26 am

Originally posted by Raiders:
quote:Originally posted by Liquid Hippo:
I love the call. I'm not a Patriot fan, but maybe I'll become one because FINALLY here's a coach that's not afraid to play the game. I'm tired all these pansy coaches playing not to lose instead of playing to win. Why not take the bull by the horns and do something proactive to win the game instead of just being passive, punting, and hope that the Colts fail? I don't buy the 'you're not showing trust in your defense' theory, as you can just as equally say that punting is not showing trust in the offense, AND just maybe you're saying you think the D is good enough to stop them anyway if they don't make it.

Every week it seems I see a situation like this, and the coach punts, and in 2-3 plays the opposing team is right back at the 4th down line of scrimmage anyway. Nobody rips the punt decision then, but they should.

Bravo Bellichick!!

Punting is the WORST part about football. It rewards cowards who are afraid of risk. I say eliminate ALL punting from the game. MAKE teams go for it on 4th down. Now THAT would be exciting.

:) Than throw the ball past the first down marker! ;)
[/QUOTE]He did - the bobble cost them the forward progress.

I am also coming around to this being a not so dumb move. It's like going for two at the end of regulation when you're down by one - if you think that you're 50/50 in OT or 60/40 right now - go for it even if the Monday morning QB's say it's stupid.

Bob
Luck in FF is like a game of Russian Roulette. The BWaz's of the world only have one bullet to spin - the rest of us have two. It's still mostly luck, but ...
-By Bob (For Gekko)

mikeybok

Post by mikeybok » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:35 am

I had no problem with the call to go for it.

Did he hurt the Defense feelings?

Maybe that was the point. Some say it would **** you off if you were on the Defense. Maybe that was the point. Send a message!

I bet the Defense steps up next game.
Hakuna Matata!

KOTRAX

Post by KOTRAX » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:01 am

AT THE END OF THE DAY OT WAS GREAT CALL BY N.E. IT'S JUST TOO BAD IT DIDN'T WORK.

JUST MJD'S CALL WAS JUST AS GREAT BUT THEIR RESULT JUST ENDED BETTER.

NO WORSE THAN IF SOMEONE ON THE OUTSIDE LOOKING IN AT SOME OF THE POINTS WE LEAVE ON OUR FANTASY BENCHES EVERY WEEK.

SOMEONE CAN EASILY SAY "HE SHOULD HAVE PLAYED HIM INSTEAD OF HIM HE COULD HAVE WON THIS WEEK."

WE JUST DO WHAT WE THINK IS RIGHT SOMETIMES IT WORKS SOMETIMES IT DOESN'T.

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:13 am

Originally posted by KOTRAX:
AT THE END OF THE DAY OT WAS GREAT CALL BY N.E. IT'S JUST TOO BAD IT DIDN'T WORK.
Kotrax,

I completely disagree! It was GREAT that it didn't work! :D :D :D

Wayne

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:04 pm

"November 16, 2009, 3:02 pm

Bill Belichick Is Great

By STEVEN D. LEVITT

I respect Bill Belichick more today than I ever have.

Last night he made a decision in the final minutes that led his team the New England Patriots to defeat. It will likely go down as one of the most criticized decisions any coach has ever made. With his team leading by six points and just over two minutes left in the game, he elected to go for it on fourth down on his own side of the field. His offense failed to get the first down, and the Indianapolis Colts promptly drove for a touchdown.

He has been excoriated for the choice he made. Everyone seems to agree it was a terrible blunder.

Here is why I respect Belichick so much. The data suggest that he actually probably did the right thing if his objective was to win the game. Economist David Romer studied years worth of data and found that, contrary to conventional wisdom, teams seem to punt way too much. Going for a first down on fourth and short yardage in your end zone is likely to increase the chance your team wins (albeit slightly). But Belichick had to know that if it failed, he would be subjected to endless criticism.

If his team had gotten the first down and the Patriots won, he would have gotten far less credit than he got blame for failing. This introduces what economists call a “principal-agent problem.” Even though going for it increases his team’s chance of winning, a coach who cares about his reputation will want to do the wrong thing. He will punt, just because he doesn’t want to be the goat. (I’ve seen the same thing in my research on penalty kicks in soccer; it looks like kicking it right down the middle is the best strategy, but it is so embarrassing when it fails that players don’t do it often enough.) What Belichick proved by going for it last night is that 1) he understands the data, and 2) he cares more about winning than anything else.

So hats off to Bill Belichick. This decision may have hurt his chances for the Football Hall of Fame, but it guarantees his induction into the Freakonomics Hall of Fame."
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:14 pm

Only Bill Belichick can make the most bone headed call that I have ever seen and be praised for it. I'm surprised the press didn't praise him for stealing signals, after all he is "Bill Belichick."

Wayne

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:20 pm

As an owner of Brady, Moss and Welker...I hope this puts Billy Boy back into outscore everyone by 50 mode, as no lead is safe!!!
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

rkulaski

Post by rkulaski » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:44 pm

Originally posted by GK:
quote:Originally posted by Liquid Hippo:
I love the call. I'm not a Patriot fan, but maybe I'll become one because FINALLY here's a coach that's not afraid to play the game. I'm tired all these pansy coaches playing not to lose instead of playing to win. Why not take the bull by the horns and do something proactive to win the game instead of just being passive, punting, and hope that the Colts fail? I don't buy the 'you're not showing trust in your defense' theory, as you can just as equally say that punting is not showing trust in the offense, AND just maybe you're saying you think the D is good enough to stop them anyway if they don't make it.

Every week it seems I see a situation like this, and the coach punts, and in 2-3 plays the opposing team is right back at the 4th down line of scrimmage anyway. Nobody rips the punt decision then, but they should.

Bravo Bellichick!!

Punting is the WORST part about football. It rewards cowards who are afraid of risk. I say eliminate ALL punting from the game. MAKE teams go for it on 4th down. Now THAT would be exciting.

:) ...I like this post here...GK
[/QUOTE]Me too.

Even if they pin indy at the 20 yd line and make them march 80 yds, 2 min and 2-3 time outs (whatever they had) is a lot of time, especially for Manning. I think going for it was definitely the right call.

On the flip side, GIVE THE INDY D ALL THE CREDIT IN THE WORLD. Not only do they stop NE on 3rd and 2 and then 4th and 2, but they also stopped NE on the previous drive and forced a punt. And Belichek is one who doesn't go into conservative mode and run 3x and punt. NE was going all out trying to attack and keep scoring, and, the Colts with the secondary even more banged up than ever, stopped them twice when the game was on the line.

Final comment, loved Wayne's last td. The ball never touched the trunk/body. That catch was all hands even as he fell to the ground. Beautiful catch.