Favre vs, Rogers

BLACKHAND

Favre vs, Rogers

Post by BLACKHAND » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:11 pm

RUSS , after that flor st. / wisky game went over i thought you might be having a few strong drinks right now. lol
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

Diesel

Favre vs, Rogers

Post by Diesel » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:30 pm

Who do the Jets get NOW, when Favre retires? Because he WILL retire.

Derek Anderson?
Jeff Garcia?
Elvis Grbac?

*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

JAHNS5

Favre vs, Rogers

Post by JAHNS5 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:46 pm

PACKER FANS WILL ALWAYS BE PACKER FANS FIRST. I WAS GLAD TO SEE BRETT RETIRE IN MARCH. WE CAN TELL BETTER THAN ANYONE WHEN ITS TIME FOR SOMEONE TO GO. DON'T GET ME WRONG, WE LOVED BRETT FAVRE THE ENTIRE TIME HE WAS HERE. MY BASEMENT IS FULL OF FAVRE STUFF. SPEND THOUSANDS ON HIS MEMO...., IT'S TIME TO MOVE ON. IS THIS THREAD STARTER RELATED TO TONY KORNHEISER??? YES OR NO...... ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. THE PACKERS ONLY HAVE ONE GAME LEFT AND MAY BE WE CAN JUST FINALLLYYYYYYYYYY MOVE ON.

Jersey Dawg

Favre vs, Rogers

Post by Jersey Dawg » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:04 pm

Let me say this... Favre is no Pennington. Another Favre "one for me, and three for you" TD/Int ratio. Time to hang it up. All kidding aside, Falco looks better than Favre and Falco was a free agent in most leagues. Jets need to find a QB fast. Maybe Derek Anderson is a good idea after all.

Tom Kessenich

Favre vs, Rogers

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:26 am

My opinion is that Favre really needs to retire now and for good this time. Whether it was age, injury or a combination of both, he played poorly to close out the season. He's had a magnificent career but it's time to move on.

I do think it's shortsighted to ignore the significant impact his presence made on the Jets' improved season and the impact his departure had on Green Bay's pathetic season. Rodgers did well as a starter but the fact remains he was handed the keys to a Super Bowl contender in arguably the worst division in the NFL and the Packers had a truly pathetic season. By contrast, Favre was given a worse team in a stronger division and just missed out on a playoff berth.

Perhaps Thompson and McCarthy can be credited with correctly believing Favre's production would decline. However, if they're going to be credited for that, they also need to be blamed for turning a very good team into crap in less than a year's time. You can't have it both ways.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

renman

Favre vs, Rogers

Post by renman » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:02 am

Tom,

I agree with you on a lot of this. I think it is interesting in that in some ways everyone won out here. The Packers were able to unload a fading veteren/legend who had shown he was breaking down later in seasons (he did last year and this year and I do not follow his career close enough to know about 2 years ago). They got their highly drafted young QB some experience and he did show flashes that make you think he could be good. I believe each NFL season is mutually exclusive from the rest and think the Packers broke down in many areas this year as compared to last year other than just QB.
I think had Favre stayed they may have had the same record or worse with how the running game and defense failed.

I think Favre got a chance to extend his career and also at times showed flashes of greatness. His presence alone made the Jets matter some. Maybe he satisfied his competitive juices and maybe not. I think the Jets would not have had this kind of season with Pennington at QB... I also think without Pennington (perfect fit) Miami would not have come close to the playoffs.

The question now is if Favre hangs them up for good.

Tom Kessenich

Favre vs, Rogers

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:03 am

James, I'm highly skeptical that the Packers won anything here. The window to be a Super Bowl contender doesn't last long and this team had a window and now it looks like it's been shut and it may not re-open again for quite awhile. This was a hugely disappointing season for the Packers and the team took several major steps back in the first year without Favre.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

renman

Favre vs, Rogers

Post by renman » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:16 am

Tom,

I guess I am not saying the Packers "won" something (other then finally beginning the process of developing what might be a talented young QB) as much as I am not sure the Packers season would have been much different with Favre. Would they have run the ball better? Would Grant have not pulled his hammy after a holdout? Would the defense not have crumbled? I am not as close to it as you. But from the outside looking in I never got the sense QB play is why the Packers are where they are this year.

Maybe I am wrong.

Tom Kessenich

Favre vs, Rogers

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:19 am

There's no way the Packers would have been any worse with Favre in my opinion than they were with Rodgers. And given how well the team played with Favre last season, there's reason to believe it would have been better with him.

That's pure speculation and there's no way to prove or disprove it. I just know that this was a Super Bowl contender just one year ago and arguably should have gone to the Super Bowl. Now it's a mess.

[ December 29, 2008, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: Tom Kessenich ]
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich