robert meachem

mikeybok

robert meachem

Post by mikeybok » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:27 am

Originally posted by Tamuscarecrow:

As for you, Big Mike, I expected better. I'M NOT ASKING ANYONE TO CHANGE THE RULES. If you can show me in the NFFC rules where Robert Meacham scored as a defensive player I'll listen to your argument. Rick, Sorry if I offended you ... Not meant to be personal. We just don't see eye to eye ... and this kind of argument has always been a pet peeve of mine.

The NFFC clearly spells out what they give points for. TD Fumble recoveries from a Defensive player are implicitly excluded by the NFFC's scoring system (not the WCOFF, NFL or footballguys for that matter ... which means nothing because it's the NFFC's game and rules).

Clear as day to me.

For example ... If a Kicker make's a catch ... he will get nothing for the catch ... but he will get receiving yards. The NFL will call it a catch and the WCOFF and football guys also agree with the NFL and give a point for this reception also ... but the NFFC does not. Points for Kicker receptions are not listed in the NFFC rules. Since they listed all the other positions by name ... it is implicit that the NFFC does NOT want to reward Kickers for a reception. To reward a point for that would be to add to the rules (regardless of if either one of us thinks they should of not).

I have very little skin in this ... so continue to have at it with Greg, Tom and the NFFC. I didn't make the rules ... I just think we need to play by the rules the NFFC has posted on this site (and in my opinion .. we are ... regardless of what either one of us think the rules should be).

Mike
Hakuna Matata!

Getpaddled

robert meachem

Post by Getpaddled » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:57 am

This play doesn't affect my team at all, so not bias here.

Greg has it right.

If a RB fumbles, a WR picks it up and runs it for a TD. its 6pts for the WR. (The opposing team doesn't gain possession, meaning: offence is still offence.)

If a RB fumbles, opposing team picks it up runs 20 yards, fumbles; WR picks it up and runs for a TD. It's a Defensive TD. (The opposition team DID gain possession. Making the offence a defense)
Greg Dietzler AKA Letter Pusher
Fantasy Football Genius & FPA supporter
Twitter: @Getpaddled

bobsgym13

robert meachem

Post by bobsgym13 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:05 am

Originally posted by Greg Dietzler:

Greg has it right.

If a RB fumbles, a WR picks it up and runs it for a TD. its 6pts for the WR. (The opposing team doesn't gain possession, meaning: offence is still offence.)

If a RB fumbles, opposing team picks it up runs 20 yards, fumbles; WR picks it up and runs for a TD. It's a Defensive TD. (The opposition team DID gain possession. Making the offence a defense) Agreed and Ugly Mike had a great point many pages ago when the NFFC states that an 'offensive' fumble return counts and the term offensive is there for a reason. It is simply a continuation without a possession change.

Tamuscarecrow's (Rule 3, Section 35) interpretation would mean that there is no such thing as a Defensive TD because the NFL considers the team in possession of the ball to be the offense.

Bob
Luck in FF is like a game of Russian Roulette. The BWaz's of the world only have one bullet to spin - the rest of us have two. It's still mostly luck, but ...
-By Bob (For Gekko)

Getpaddled

robert meachem

Post by Getpaddled » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:12 am

Originally posted by Bob Squad:
quote:Originally posted by Greg Dietzler:

Greg has it right.

If a RB fumbles, opposing team picks it up runs 20 yards, fumbles; WR picks it up and runs for a TD. It's a Defensive TD. (The opposition team DID gain possession. Making the offence a defense) Agreed and Ugly Mike had a great point many pages ago when the NFFC states that an 'offensive' fumble return counts and the term offensive is there for a reason. It is simply a continuation without a possession change.

Tamuscarecrow's (Rule 3, Section 35) interpretation would mean that there is no such thing as a Defensive TD because the NFL considers the team in possession of the ball to be the offense.

Bob
[/QUOTE]Agreed...... Might have to add on to the rule and explain it a little better.
Greg Dietzler AKA Letter Pusher
Fantasy Football Genius & FPA supporter
Twitter: @Getpaddled

renman

robert meachem

Post by renman » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:52 am

I have paid very little attention to this but always have interest in issues like this. I didn't read the entire thread so if this was alread mentioned forgive me.

When someone has the "Saints Defense" that could just as easily mean you own the Saints team when they are trying to tackle the ball carrier. In this case, the "ball carrier" was the Redskins player who had the ball... So the Saints on the field at that moment were trying to stop him, ie, playing DEFENSE. Were the players trying to make the tackle the normal defensive players? No. The game situation made them defensive player...

But when you own the SAINTS DEFENSE that could just as easily be any player in a Saints uniform who is trying to make a defensive play.... In this case, on this specific play, that was Meachem and he happened to make a strip and scored a TD.

Can't that be a TD for the New Orleans Saints defense?

When we look at the rules for scoring. We see OFFENSIVE SCORING... 1 point per reception for WR's, 1 point for every yard receiving, 6 points for TD, etc. On the play in question, Meachem wasn't playing offense, he was trying to make a tackle... so he was a Saints defensive player wasn't he?

Again, I didn't read into this very deep and thought for all of about 14 seconds before making this post. So if I am way off base, so be it.

OrCal Crapshooters

robert meachem

Post by OrCal Crapshooters » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:51 pm

Is this a DEFENSIVE score if a QB gets stripped and then pops the ball back out of the defenders hands and throws a TD. Is that a defensive pass TD ? Still trying to get my arms around this. If you are scratching your head, you see my point.

bobsgym13

robert meachem

Post by bobsgym13 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:01 pm

Originally posted by OrCal Crapshooters:
Is this a DEFENSIVE score if a QB gets stripped and then pops the ball back out of the defenders hands and throws a TD. Is that a defensive pass TD ? Still trying to get my arms around this. If you are scratching your head, you see my point. if possession changed and then changed back then a forward pass is no longer allowed.
For stat purposes, after a possession change both teams are treated as two special team squads.

Bob
Luck in FF is like a game of Russian Roulette. The BWaz's of the world only have one bullet to spin - the rest of us have two. It's still mostly luck, but ...
-By Bob (For Gekko)

mikeybok

robert meachem

Post by mikeybok » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:07 pm

Originally posted by Bob Squad:
quote:Originally posted by OrCal Crapshooters:
Is this a DEFENSIVE score if a QB gets stripped and then pops the ball back out of the defenders hands and throws a TD. Is that a defensive pass TD ? Still trying to get my arms around this. If you are scratching your head, you see my point. if possession changed and then changed back then a forward pass is no longer allowed.
For stat purposes, after a possession change both teams are treated as two special team squads.

Bob
[/QUOTE]Actually ... a pass is considered illegal after any change of possession (let alone two).
Hakuna Matata!

OrCal Crapshooters

robert meachem

Post by OrCal Crapshooters » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:12 pm

If the Qb runs it downfield after the recovery from behind the line of scrimmage, you would call that a defensive TD as well ? Thx for the forward pass info.

bobsgym13

robert meachem

Post by bobsgym13 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:14 pm

Originally posted by Ugly Yellow Tomatoes:
quote:Originally posted by Bob Squad:
quote:Originally posted by OrCal Crapshooters:

Bob
[/QUOTE]Actually ... a pass is considered illegal after any change of possession (let alone two).
[/QUOTE]Of course, but no one ever thought a linebacker could scoop it up and throw a 30 yard post to a safety.

Bob
-By Bob (For Gekko)