robert meachem

sportsbettingman

robert meachem

Post by sportsbettingman » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:23 pm

How about if a QB was striped/sacked and a DL picks it up and then fumbles it right into the QB's hands who now attempts a desperation lateral which is missed by his RB, and it goes out of the endzone for a safety!!! :D :D

First the QB is OFF, then when the DL established control...the QB became part of blob defense, right? There is only one change allowed per play, right? So...the defense has a saftey on itself? :D (warning...drinking...may not make sense or may be so simple I'm seeing right through it.)

I know watching the game it would be obvious that the saftey goes to the original defense...but when going by the rulebook...it gets weird.

[ December 08, 2009, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: sportsbettingman ]
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

bobsgym13

robert meachem

Post by bobsgym13 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:37 pm

Originally posted by OrCal Crapshooters:
If the Qb runs it downfield after the recovery from behind the line of scrimmage, you would call that a defensive TD as well ? Thx for the forward pass info. Yes.
He is now only a QB in the press guide. He can no longer use the QB slide and can be hit without his normal protection. NFL stats will consider ALL ball movement after a possession change as return yardage.

Bob
Luck in FF is like a game of Russian Roulette. The BWaz's of the world only have one bullet to spin - the rest of us have two. It's still mostly luck, but ...
-By Bob (For Gekko)

TamuScarecrow

robert meachem

Post by TamuScarecrow » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:46 pm

Tamuscarecrow

How would you score the following:

New Orleans punts, there is a fumble (not a muff) on the return, Meachem scoops it up and scores a TD. By your interpretation of Rule 3, Section 35, you would argue that Meachem should be credited a TD. Correct?

BobNo, because Meacham was a member of the special teams and did not start the play out as a wr.

Tamuscarecrow's (Rule 3, Section 35) interpretation would mean that there is no such thing as a Defensive TD because the NFL considers the team in possession of the ball to be the offense.

BobDon't mean to pile on here, Bob, but wrong again. The rule never states Team B, the defense, turns into Team A, the offense. Essentially what this means is when the defense takes possession via interception or fumble, there are 2 defenses on the field at the same time. Only when a 2nd change of possession occurs, as happened with Meacham, does the offense reappear. Had there been a 3rd, 4th, or 5th change of possession, the offense would have continued to bounce back and forth but the original defense stays the defense throughout the course of the play.

My apologies to you, Tom, for considering this concept assinine several pages ago as yes, according to the NFL, 2 defenses can exist on the field at the same time.

Gerard, the only way Meacham can score six points under our scoring system is by recovering an offensive fumble for a touchdown.Sorry, Greg, but you're wrong. Your scoring system DOES allow for Meacham to get 6 points here. According to the previously mentioned rule which I am tired of referring to, Meacham was a WR when he scored the td and should get the points. Did he catch a pass, no. Did he take a handoff, no. But the rule states that when possession changed back to the Saints, Meacham changed back to a WR and therefore gets the points, no rule needed, as WR's get 6 points for a td.

The issue I've been trying to get everyone to understand isn't whether a rule was in place for this. The issue always was Meacham's status as an offensive or defensive player when he scored the td and the rule states he is an offensive player, cut and dry.
2005 NY/CHI League Champ
2006 CHI#2 3rd Place
2006 Auction Reg Season Champ
2007 TAM#2 2nd Place
2007 Auction Reg Season Champ
2009 LV#5 League Champ
2010 Auction Reg Season Champ
2011 LV#3 2nd Place
2012 LV Classic League Champ

TamuScarecrow

robert meachem

Post by TamuScarecrow » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:53 pm

Ask The Commish - Need a Ruling
Posted 8/18/2004 by Bill Davies and Bill Desimone, Exclusive to Footballguys.com

TWO D'S OR NOT TWO D'S? - THAT IS THE QUESTION.
By Bill Davies and Bill DeSimone

All rise! Court is now in session. Presiding over the 2004 Footballguys.com Commissioner's Court will be the dishonorable Chief Injustice Bill "The Commissioner" Davies and Associate Injustice Bill "DeCommish" DeSimone.

TODAY'S DOCKET: State of Our FFL League v. Half Perspectives
THE CHARGE: Duplicity. Or is it?

There was a great deal of debate over last year's Tampa Bay pass that was intercepted and the interception was subsequently fumbled and returned for a TD. Everyone knows the play in question - Monday night's game with the Keenan McCardell fumble return for a TD.

Basically, in spite of all of the confusion, there is only one fact at issue - do offense and defense change when there is a change in possession? The answer is that when there are two changes in possession (or any even number of changes in possession for that matter) the answer to this question doesn't matter. In all cases it cannot be a defensive TD for Tampa Bay.

Conventional wisdom in fantasy leagues is that when a team starts a play on offense, the opposing team is on defense. This is how we have things like interception returns and fumble returns for TD. This has more or less gone unchallenged for all of time.

From the NFL rulebook Rule 3, Section 35, Article 1: "Whenever a team is in possession, it is the Offense and, at such time, its opponent is the Defense." The rule, along with Rule 3, Section 35, Article 2, states: "The team that puts the ball in play is Team A, and its opponent is Team B. For brevity, a player on Team A is referred to as A1 and his teammates as A2, A3, etc… Opponents are B1, B2, etc… The rule goes on state through notation: "A team becomes Team A when it has been designated to put ball in play, and it remains Team A until a down ends, even though there might be one or more changes of possession during the down. This is in contrast with the terms Offense and Defense. Team A is the offense when the down starts, but becomes the defense if and when B secures possession during the down, and vice versa for each change of possession."

We, as fantasy footballers, have rejected this interpretation. If we accepted it, there could never be defensive TDs - by definition. As soon as the defensive team gained possession, it would be the offensive team, by rule. Since these rules are written for officials for a purpose different than fantasy football, we've let common sense prevail and we say, "No, the players that started the play on defense are defensive players. If they intercept the ball or recover a fumble and return it for a TD, it is a defensive TD."

However, let us debate the opposite. Let's agree, ONLY FOR THE SAKE OF ARGUMENT, this NFL rule does apply. In this particular case, when the play began Tampa Bay was on offense and Indianapolis was on defense. When Michael Doss intercepted Brad Johnson's pass, Indianapolis went on offense and Tampa Bay went on defense, per NFL Rule 3, Section 35. By the same rule and section, when Keenan McCardell recovered Doss' fumble, Tampa Bay went back on offense and Indianapolis went back on defense. When Tampa Bay went back on offense, McCardell regained his status as an offensive player. His in-play designations were Offensive Player-Defensive Player-Offensive Player-TD scorer. We reject this notion. We only point it out for two reasons. First, it demonstrates that the facts lead to the same conclusion whether we use the NFL rule book or common sense. Second, since so much of the confusion in leagues revolves around fantasy players using the change of possession to demonstrate that Keenan McCardell was on defense after the interception that by extension he must have gone back on offense when he recovered the fumble. You cannot recognize one change of possession and arbitrarily reject the second.

There is a movement out there that seems to think once possession changed, both teams were on defense. We are not aware of any fantasy football or NFL rule that would permit two defensive teams on the field at one time. Rugby, maybe. Not in the NFL.

So we really have three possibilities:

Tampa was on offense the whole play

Tampa was on offense, then defense, then back on offense

Tampa and Indianapolis were both playing defense at the same time.

Here are the scoring summaries under each scenario:

SCENARIO #1 - TAMPA WAS ON OFFENSE THE ENTIRE PLAY (THE COMMON SENSE APPROACH)

Brad Johnson - credited with 1 pass, 1 interception, 0 receptions and 0 yards

Keenan McCardell - credited with 1 fumble recovery and 1 return TD*

Michael Doss - credited with 1 interception, 15 return yards and 1 fumble

Indianapolis defense - credited with 1 interception, 15 return yards and 1 fumble

Tampa Bay defense - no credit received, they were never involved in this play
* - McCardell's points can only be awarded if your scoring rules permit points to WRs for fumble recoveries and TDs resulting from fumble recoveries. McCardell receives neither rushing nor receiving yards.

SCENARIO #2 - TAMPA WAS ON OFFENSE, THEN DEFENSE, THEN OFFENSE AGAIN (THE TECHNICAL, NFL RULEBOOK APPROACH)

Keenan McCardell - credited with 1 fumble recovery and 1 return TD*

Indianapolis defense - credited with 1 interception, 15 return yards and 1 fumble

Tampa Bay defense - credited with 1 fumble recovery
* - McCardell's points can only be awarded if your scoring rules permit points to WRs for fumble recoveries and TDs resulting from fumble recoveries. McCardell receives neither rushing nor receiving yards.

SCENARIO #3 - TAMPA AND INDIANAPOLIS WERE BOTH DEFENSE AT THE SAME TIME (THE ILLOGICAL APPROACH)

Keenan McCardell - credited with nothing because he is suffering from a terrible identity crisis as a WR. In fact, he could not return the fumble. He was looking to the sidelines wondering what he was doing out there where there were supposed to be two defensive teams on the same field

Tampa Bay defense - credited with 1 fumble recovery and 1 TD return
* - McCardell's points can only be awarded if your scoring rules permit points to WRs for fumble recoveries and TDs resulting from fumble recoveries. McCardell receives neither rushing nor receiving yards - mostly because he doesn't exist, as an offensive player
(NOTE: We have already rejected this possibility by allowing for defensive TDs. If you have a defensive team, by definition you must also have an offense on the field. Otherwise, it would be like a civil war in France.)

Some leagues rely exclusively on their online league management system. We understand and appreciate that position. However, we reject it as a copout. We think these situations are what make the Commissioner's job what it is. But if yours is a fun league that does not live or die by this stuff, it can simply refer to its league management site or software for guidance. Most major league management systems allow for Commissioners to make manual adjustments to scoring, if the league feels it is appropriate, for situations like this.

One point that helped to confuse the matter on this is that there was a categorization of this TD as a "Def TD" by www.NFL.com. This is interesting and confusing. However, if you look closely, www.NFL.com does not have a category for this TD. They stuck it in there because in many ways a fumble recovery looks like a defensive TD - hence our entire discussion. However, there is no category for fumble returns for TDs under the offensive categories because it happens so rarely. Fantasy owners clinging to this mis-categorization are really reaching. It is like going to a used car lot and seeing a Harley motorcycle there. Now putting a motorcycle on a used car lot does not make it a used car. It is still a motorcycle, but they are not going to open and rename a lot for the rare time that there is a motorcycle there. There is simply nowhere else to put the item, so you put it where it most closely fits and hope that people will apply common sense and see the item for what it is.

There are some website management services, like www.CBSSportsline.com, that also treat this as a defensive TD. Their argument is that the Doss interception switched designations. CSBSportsline used the following verbiage:

McCardell Fumble Recovery Will Be Scored as Defensive Touchdown

10/7/2003 - The play in which Keenan McCardell picked up Michael Doss's fumble and ran it in for a touchdown will be scored as a touchdown for the Buccaneers defense. The reason is as follows: once Michael Doss intercepted Brad Johnson's pass, there was a change of possession and the Bucs become the defensive team. Doss then fumbled the ball and McCardell recovered the fumble and returned it for a TD. Even though McCardell is typically an offensive player, he was considered a defensive player at the point he took possession of the ball. As a result, the Bucs defense will be credited with a Defensive Fumble Recovery and a Defensive TD.

For the reasons described above, their answer and ruling is flawed. This is a case when possession changed twice and either you do not recognize either (as we do on a weekly basis) or you recognize both. You do not get to choose which changes of possession you'll accept and which you won't. Too CBSSportsline's credit, they permit league commissioners to make manual adjustments, when necessary and appropriate.

This issue is not nearly as complicated as we made it. If there is a change of designation, then with two turnovers the original designations return. It is the whole double-negative thing we slept through in math class. If there is no change of designation, like we all have been playing the game for decades, then McCardell never lost his status as an offensive player.

The important thing that we recognize is that whether there was a change in designation or not, McCardell was functioning as an offensive player when he scored the touchdown.For all of my old friends and new enemies, this is the article I read yesterday that set me off on the tirade I have been in on this thread. It was an article done 5 years ago just before the 2004 season concerning the exact same play and outcome pulled off by Keenan McCardell that occurred to Robert Meacham. Read it for yourself and judge what the scoring outcome should be. Those of you who are Footballguy subscribers may have already read this but for those who aren't, have at it.
2005 NY/CHI League Champ
2006 CHI#2 3rd Place
2007 TAM#2 2nd Place
2009 LV#5 League Champ
2011 LV#3 2nd Place

OrCal Crapshooters

robert meachem

Post by OrCal Crapshooters » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:58 pm

I don't know the rules as you have stated my friend, but what you are saying is exactly what i believe to be the correct ruling (common sense rule)ouch... noone here likes that term. In my 29 years of FF, none of our commissioners have scored the Meacham play as a DEFENSIVE score. We all like our players to get credit for Touchdowns.Why would anyone think the defense deserves points while they are watching from the sidelines. The continuation of the play is what makes me a stubborn mule on this ruling. I certainly hope this changes next year as it is apparent this is a lost cause this season. I am not the only stubborn mule on these boareds.

gerardsambola

robert meachem

Post by gerardsambola » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:36 pm

posted December 08, 2009 08:01 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by d&g:
greg and tom your problem here is your rules do not cover this and you two do not want to admit this
bottom line is you have a judgement call here and you two are taking the easy way out
i will be honest with you i started this topic because i do have meachem but i will probably lose my game even if you do give me the points for meachem but i am playing for 2500 tonight

my take on this topic is very simple if you do not have a rule for this spelled out in the rules which you don't then everyone should get the points was. def.=2 saints def.=2 and meachem=6 this way no one gets hurt

gerard

Gerard, the only way Meacham can score six points under our scoring system is by recovering an offensive fumble for a touchdown. Our scoring system is set up for this play; you just don't agree with it. I understand that. We all agree that New Orleans' defense should get two points for the defensive fumble recovery and you want Meacham to get offensive points from that point on. But that's not what our rules state.

We can change the way we score this play in future years, but honestly this is how the NFL scores it and it's the way we've set it up within our rules. I don't have a desire to change it, but will certainly listen to the masses for 2010 and beyond. But the NFL records this as a defensive turnover and so do we.
--------------------------------------------------greg do we agree you do not have a rule for this that is the problem from the get go and now you are trying to put this play into your rule book which you do not have a rule for this
if you do have a rule for this very special play i like you to show it to me
gerard

mikeybok

robert meachem

Post by mikeybok » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:01 pm

posted December 08, 2009 08:01 AM
quote:
greg and tom your problem here is your rules do not cover this and you two do not want to admit this
bottom line is you have a judgement call here and you two are taking the easy way out
i will be honest with you i started this topic because i do have meachem but i will probably lose my game even if you do give me the points for meachem but i am playing for 2500 tonight

my take on this topic is very simple if you do not have a rule for this spelled out in the rules which you don't then everyone should get the points was. def.=2 saints def.=2 and meachem=6 this way no one gets hurt

gerard

Gerard, the only way Meacham can score six points under our scoring system is by recovering an offensive fumble for a touchdown. Our scoring system is set up for this play; you just don't agree with it. I understand that. We all agree that New Orleans' defense should get two points for the defensive fumble recovery and you want Meacham to get offensive points from that point on. But that's not what our rules state.

We can change the way we score this play in future years, but honestly this is how the NFL scores it and it's the way we've set it up within our rules. I don't have a desire to change it, but will certainly listen to the masses for 2010 and beyond. But the NFL records this as a defensive turnover and so do we.
--------------------------------------------------greg do we agree you do not have a rule for this that is the problem from the get go and now you are trying to put this play into your rule book which you do not have a rule for this
if you do have a rule for this very special play i like you to show it to me
gerard Seriously Gerard ... if you agree there is NO rule to cover this ... you agree with Greg that Meacham get no points.

Greg lists ALL the rules of How to score points ... if it's not on the list (no rule), it doesn't count for points. A Kicker catching a pass gets zero points for the catch (but he would still get the receiving yards... because in Greg's game (the NFFC) ... no points are awarded for the catch (regardless of what the NFL or Footballguys ruling is regarding the catch). Clear as day.

You make Greg's case perfectly with your post. NO RULE ... NO POINTS ... Nicely done!
Hakuna Matata!

bobsgym13

robert meachem

Post by bobsgym13 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:01 am

Originally posted by OrCal Crapshooters:
I don't know the rules as you have stated my friend, but what you are saying is exactly what i believe to be the correct ruling (common sense rule)ouch... noone here likes that term. In my 29 years of FF, none of our commissioners have scored the Meacham play as a DEFENSIVE score. We all like our players to get credit for Touchdowns.Why would anyone think the defense deserves points while they are watching from the sidelines. The continuation of the play is what makes me a stubborn mule on this ruling. I certainly hope this changes next year as it is apparent this is a lost cause this season. I am not the only stubborn mule on these boareds. The common sense police are about as annoying as the grammar police.

I get the argument on BOTH sides.

I assume that you think that Meachem's fumble recovery shouldn't count?

The funny thing is that we all agree that the offense is considered to be the defense after the first possession change (even though the 'real' defense is on the sidelines) OUCH.

Bob

[ December 09, 2009, 06:07 AM: Message edited by: Bob Squad ]
Luck in FF is like a game of Russian Roulette. The BWaz's of the world only have one bullet to spin - the rest of us have two. It's still mostly luck, but ...
-By Bob (For Gekko)

bobsgym13

robert meachem

Post by bobsgym13 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:23 am

Originally posted by Tamuscarecrow:
[QUOTE]SCENARIO #3 - TAMPA AND INDIANAPOLIS WERE BOTH DEFENSE AT THE SAME TIME (THE ILLOGICAL APPROACH)Pretty easy to get if you simply think of them as two special team units once a possession change occurs. Positional labels are rendered irrelevant.

By your 'logic' a defensive TD is impossible.

If Randy Moss came in to help the DEF on a hail mary, intercepted the ball and ran it back for a TD - would you argue that he should receive credit for the TD since he became an 'offensive' player and the Press Guide says WR?

Bob
-By Bob (For Gekko)

TamuScarecrow

robert meachem

Post by TamuScarecrow » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:05 am

Originally posted by Tamuscarecrow:
[QUOTE]SCENARIO #3 - TAMPA AND INDIANAPOLIS WERE BOTH DEFENSE AT THE SAME TIME (THE ILLOGICAL APPROACH)

Pretty easy to get if you simply think of them as two special team units once a possession change occurs. Positional labels are rendered irrelevant.

By your 'logic' a defensive TD is impossible.

If Randy Moss came in to help the DEF on a hail mary, intercepted the ball and ran it back for a TD - would you argue that he should receive credit for the TD since he became an 'offensive' player and the Press Guide says WR?

BobStill don't get it, do you, Bob? If Moss starts the play as a "defensive" player, he can't get points as a WR because he did not start out the play as a WR. He started out the play in your example as a safety and is designated on THAT PLAY as a defensive player. Meacham, on the other hand, started out the play as a WR on offense and ended the play that way because of a double change of possession as per the NFL.

After further review, the NFFC has no rule on this giving Meacham the points. Would it be the right thing to do, don't know as this thread has just as many folks who would get pissed off about Meacham getting the points as not. However, the Saints D doesn't get the points either and being in the championship round, the possibility of losing the big money by less than .5 points to a team that was awarded 6 points for having the Saints D would not bode well for the NFFC either. Chances of this happening are very slim but so was the chances of this play occurring.
:eek:
2005 NY/CHI League Champ
2006 CHI#2 3rd Place
2007 TAM#2 2nd Place
2009 LV#5 League Champ
2011 LV#3 2nd Place