Which Top Draft Picks Will Bounce Back & Which Ones Won't

Appleman

Post by Appleman » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:51 pm

LJ, just due to the fact that KC is a very bad team and Herm Edwards has no clue as a head coach.
Also I am becoming very concerned by any player wearing a Bengals uniform. It just looks and feels like a team in a severe decline and it won't get any better vs. the Giants and their D-line this week.

rkulaski

Post by rkulaski » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:10 pm

Players worth mentioning here:

1. LJ - An overused back with a high workload in the last couple of years on a poor team = finished for this year. Not even a goal line back now.

2. MJD- Jags line is in shambles but the Titans D-line will make a lot of RBs look bad. He'll be fine.

3. TJ Housh- After the NYG in week 3, I think the Bengals (offense) gets going. Palmer is too good of a qb. Don't they eventually play the Browns?

4. Peterson- if healthy (hamstring), he finishes #2 this year in fantasy. Westbrook #1.

5. R Grant- even if he gets fully healthy, Jackson and even Lumpkin will get touches decreasing his value.

6. Addai- looks ordinary right now. Another rb victimized by a o-line in shambles. As the o-line gets healthy, Addai will be fine.

Samlawyer

Post by Samlawyer » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:46 am

I would argue that Manning doesn't really belong on this list. We all knew his knee made him questionable for week 1 and he was up against difficult defenses in Chicago and Minnesota. I think all in all, his performances were about where I expected them to be, and I see a significant uptick in his production as the season moves forward.

renman

Post by renman » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:23 am

Tom,

Great topic for people who like to talk football. The good news for me is most of the guys on the list are guys I went into the draft looking to avoid. Then again, I said most...

S Jax - I think he will still produce because the offense will get somewhat better and more in sync with the new system and he (jax) will get tons of receptions due to the bad offensive line.

Manning - I think he will be huge this year. Receivers are healthy and he will produce.

Addai - I think he wil be functional but not as good as last year as he will get less TD's.

All the other guys have legit reasons why one would need to worry about them this year.

londog7

Post by londog7 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:27 pm

1. LaDainian Tomlinson: Should be fine over the long haul... offense looks potent with lots of passing options. One worry is that the dreaded turf toe injury can linger and Sproles has been good. I can see his touches being down for the next several (2-4) weeks.

4. Steven Jackson: Major worries here. No time for Bulger to pass and it's only a matter of time before they begin to key in on SJax to stop his dump-offs. That seems to be his biggest value right now as it's tough to run behind that o-line.

5. Joseph Addai: I have no doubts that Addai will return to form soon. The offense has obviously been out of sync, but as their o-line recovers, so will he. It may be a few weeks off, but I still believe.

15. Braylon Edwards: Definite worries here. Offense has been horrible and I can hear the Brady Quinn chant in the distance. That can't be good for Braylon. Now, he's banged up and of course there is still the drop issue. My gut says that he will return to 80% of form within a few weeks, but he will be at top 15 receiver this year... not exactly what owners expected from him.

16. Larry Johnson: Offense is limited by poor quarterback play. He's had too many carries on that body over the last few years. Now, he's pissing and moaning about wanting out of town. Team sucks... coach sucks... I don't like Larry, but I wouldn't want to be there either. He's d-u-n done.

20. Maurice Jones-Drew: His lack of production has surprised me. Garrard needs to stop turning over the ball and MJD needs to recovery from the ankle issue. He's not an every down back and needs Freddie to be productive to be successful. MJD is a truly great player and will recover. I believe that.

22. T.J. Houshmandzadeh: The Cincy offensive implosion has got to be one of the most shocking developments of the 2008 season. They started off the season with two tough matchups, but it doesn't get any easier with the New York Football Giants in East Rutherford this week. One would imagine tha T.J. would get his even though the offense is struggling, but I ain't seen it yet. This one is a total crapshoot.

23. Ryan Grant: With Grant, it's all about getting healthy. They've brought him along slow due to the excellent play at QB and a solid contribution from Brandon Jackson. I think that Grant will be dominant in the second half much like he was in 2007. He may lose some touches on third down to Jackson, but I think that Mike McCarthy knows this is a long season and as long as they keep winning, there's no reason to push Grant too much too early. I have faith.

24. Peyton Manning: No doubt he returns to form. He just won't allow himself not too. They are banged up on the offensive line and Marvin looks like s#it right now. Once Anthony Gonzalez asserts himself as a go-to guy and Dallas Clark gets healthy, the Colts will roll as usual. No worries here.

Of course, these are only my quick takes. Keep in mind that I drafted (quite possibly) the worst Auction league team in history (Vegas NBC $650)... so what the hell do I know.

Good luck to everyone and may your players stay healthy!

[ September 20, 2008, 06:11 AM: Message edited by: Bigger MO ]
I can lead a nation with a microphone.

Appleman

Post by Appleman » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:35 pm

Larry Johnson is a bust!
Steven Jackson might be a bust(though I believe he should rebound)
but TJ and Ryan Grant will continue to disappoint owners all year.
Ryan because of his injuries and lack of performance prior to last year(remember, the Giants traded him to GB before the start of last season).
TJ House, only because for no other reason than the Bengals look like a 3-13, 4-12 team this year. This is not a knock on TJ, but the Bengals as whole.Be aware of any Bengal!