Week 2 Revisited

Uncle Rico

Week 2 Revisited

Post by Uncle Rico » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:48 pm

Well the week 2 cancellation indded came back to bite me in the rear.

I finished the season exactly .25 points out of the money.

The zeroes I had to take from Andre Johnson, Derrick Mason and Kevin Walter in week 2 because I couldn't field 3 different WR replacements wound up costing me a minimum of $2000.

I know there was little that could be done this year, but something HAS to be done in the future to prevent something like this from happening again.

King of Queens

Week 2 Revisited

Post by King of Queens » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:59 pm

Originally posted by Fudgie the Whale:

The zeroes I had to take from Andre Johnson, Derrick Mason and Kevin Walter in week 2 because I couldn't field 3 different WR replacements wound up costing me a minimum of $2000.

I know there was little that could be done this year, but something HAS to be done in the future to prevent something like this from happening again. Wednesday@9pm/Saturday@9pm waiver periods all year long?

renman

Week 2 Revisited

Post by renman » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:18 pm

While Drafting Bulger and Kitna as my QB's hurt... The hurricane also cost me a spot in the NFFC main event as I lost in week two by a few points while taking a zero for Andre Johnson and Kris Brown and ended up in a tie for 1st H2H but lost on total points.

I personally think some kind of sat night or Sunday morning waiver needs to be put in place for unusual things. Maybe a minimum player purchase of $25 OR $50... Just making things up here. But with the number of weird things that happen and even the number of players who get in trouble with the law now, high stakes fantasy players need a little protection for bizarre situation that can occasionally come up.

Having said that... though I disagreed at the time. I am completely fine with the decision Greg and Tom made and I see Steve Smith's 1 catch for 9 yards performance against the Raiders (I lost my H2H game by 1 point) as the biggest reason I did not win and end up battling for the Million ... Not the hurricane or decision not to open up free agency for teams impacted.

Uncle Rico

Week 2 Revisited

Post by Uncle Rico » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:38 pm

Ren -
I agree.

The main thing is to fix it going forward. There were some back then who thought the cancellation would have little or no impact on fantasy seasons.

This obviously was not the case - and apparently in more tan one instance.

There are always going to be variables in fantasy sports that can't be managed. This, however, is not one of them.

The rules could not be changed in the middle of the year, but this can be prevented in the future.

renman

Week 2 Revisited

Post by renman » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:03 pm

fudgie,

I may be in the minority but I believe rules can be changed if they clearly are the fairest thing to do for the overall event. There should always be a spot in the "rules" that states the people running the event reserve the right to make any decisions they deem in the best interests of the overall event to compensate for unforeseen occurances. Just my opinion as life is not always black and white and thus rules that can't cover everything need to factor that in.

Having said that.. this (NFFC) is by far the best run fantasy event I have ever been a part of. I believe it is currently the premier fantasy football event that exists and will continue to grow in stature.

I agree with you we want to clean this up for the future and like all good/great things the NFFC is likely always going to be a constantly evolving entity as we learn ways to improve it over time.

ebbjl

Week 2 Revisited

Post by ebbjl » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:18 pm

We also tied for H2H at 9-4 and lost on points. Week 2 we had no Baltimore defense and lost by 4 that week. That win and we are in the show and winning 2nd place money instead of 3rd place money and still alive for the $100,000. It stinks but if there is anything like this again I will live and learn and not leave it in the hands of the NFL. On a different note, why is Matt Jones still playing football while all of these other players are already being suspended for a diaretic? Let's see Cocaine or a Diaretic without the substance listed on the box? How is this possible?

TradeStar28

Week 2 Revisited

Post by TradeStar28 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:43 pm

Originally posted by IT'S TIME AGAIN:
We also tied for H2H at 9-4 and lost on points. Week 2 we had no Baltimore defense and lost by 4 that week. That win and we are in the show and winning 2nd place money instead of 3rd place money and still alive for the $100,000. It stinks but if there is anything like this again I will live and learn and not leave it in the hands of the NFL. On a different note, why is Matt Jones still playing football while all of these other players are already being suspended for a diaretic? Let's see Cocaine or a Diaretic without the substance listed on the box? How is this possible? If Greg would have allowed an emergency Free agent pickup......which "available" defense would you have picked up ?
2012 - FI$HER - Flying High Again

Greg Ambrosius

Week 2 Revisited

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:07 am

Originally posted by Fudgie the Whale:

I know there was little that could be done this year, but something HAS to be done in the future to prevent something like this from happening again. I feel bad for any NFFC team that was affected by the NFL's decision to cancel the Baltimore-Houston game in Week 2. You are exactly right, we need to think ahead for 2009 and put some language in our rules that either a) addresses a second FAAB period all year long; or b) provides an option for the NFFC to add a second FAAB period should any game be canceled for that week by the NFL. Good point and again Tom I'm sorry about your bad luck in this case.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Week 2 Revisited

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:11 am

Originally posted by Renman:
fudgie,

I may be in the minority but I believe rules can be changed if they clearly are the fairest thing to do for the overall event. There should always be a spot in the "rules" that states the people running the event reserve the right to make any decisions they deem in the best interests of the overall event to compensate for unforeseen occurances. Just my opinion as life is not always black and white and thus rules that can't cover everything need to factor that in.

Having said that.. this (NFFC) is by far the best run fantasy event I have ever been a part of. I believe it is currently the premier fantasy football event that exists and will continue to grow in stature.

I agree with you we want to clean this up for the future and like all good/great things the NFFC is likely always going to be a constantly evolving entity as we learn ways to improve it over time. Let's remember one thing about this year's Week 2 case: The NFL canceled that game on SATURDAY AFTERNOON. This had never happened before and honestly it put a lot of people -- fans, players, TV networks, media, and yes fantasy players -- in a tough situation. It was not possible to change the rules this year to address this unique situation. But if we have a statement in our rules that a special FAAB period can be allowed in the event of a cancelled NFL game -- or if we add a second FAAB period -- then we would be covered if this happens again in the future.

But it was the NFL that canceled this game on Saturday afternoon, not the NFFC.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius