Week 2 Revisited

renman

Week 2 Revisited

Post by renman » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:34 am

Greg,

Sometimes I sense my posts can get misinterpreted. Just to be clear... I not only do not blame you and the NFFC for that mess, I applauded (and regularly do) the NFFC, including how that mess was handled. That was 100% the fault of the NFL. Decisions had to be made lightening fast. legal issues were in the mix. I am just throwing out (in that post) that you guys should reserve the right to make executive decisions that are "in the best interests of the game" so we do not have this blind attachment to the "rules" for all things. The point being the "rules" cannot compensate for every single variable that could come up.

Just like in MLB this year. If we went by the "rules" we very easily could have had the World Series end on a rain shortened game. But Selig would have made a decision outside of the rules "in the best interests of the game" to protect integrity.

When issues come up we have debates on this board... and I find it interesting how the debate (among the players) usually comes down along the lines of "what ruling best helps my team" as opposed to what ruling is most fair. I may be in the minority in that I think it should be based on what is most fair and I personally would rather have lost to a team that was allowed to replace a kicker or defense (that week) than win because a team got screwed by the league and a storm based crisis that could not be covered in our rules.

I am just saying there is enough trust in you guys running this event to allow that kind of executive control over things in the once every 6 years event something crazy happens that is not really covered in our rules.

I know I have that trust.

mikeybok

Week 2 Revisited

Post by mikeybok » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:20 am

Unreal.

The week 2 cancellation cost me $700. We took 3 place in points and would have taken probably taken second if we had not taken a zero week two. Missed second by less than 6 points.

Unlike Renman who is only arguing his side of the story as it effects him (over and over and over and over again ... one pity party per whiner please).

I am looking at the bigger picture. The game was canceled Saturday afternoon. How could Greg have had time to do anything that would have been fair? No way could he have notified everyone about an emergency supplemental draft in time. Some people got shafted on position players ... so to let people pick up kickers and defenses would have been really unfair to those players who were not contacted regarding the draft.

How is the hurricane different than guys getting suspended or hurt on Sunday before the game (although the hurricane was at least foreseeable). You kicker gets hurt in warm ups before the game ... your just out of luck ... stuff happens.

Renman ... I can't believe you actually are OK with rules being changed in middle of a contest.

Originally posted by Renman:
I may be in the minority but I believe rules can be changed if they clearly are the fairest thing to do for the overall event.Glenn ... you are smarter than this ... how can you applaud this "changing the rules in the middle of the contest" cr-p.

Man up ... I think this is the whiniest most self centered thread I ever read. Playing with the RULES on Saturday evening would have been a catastrophe ... It probably cost me $700 ... but Greg did the right thing as did all the other fantasy contests (Even if Renman thinks it's OK to change the rules mid stream) :rolleyes: .

Change the rules for next year ... fine. Change the rules mid year :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Unreal!
Hakuna Matata!

Quahogs

Week 2 Revisited

Post by Quahogs » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:29 am

VERY well put UYT.

Inf4life

Week 2 Revisited

Post by Inf4life » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:32 am

You know everyone wants to cry about week two and how because of that game they missed the playoffs or missed money. Boo hoo. You missed it by .25. You had all year to make up those points. Your team didn't. I can understand if this happened last week but it didn't.It happened 11 WEEKS AGO and people are still crying over it. Cmon man. I think Mike's post summed it up best.
2007 NFFC Classic Champion

Sound Advice

Week 2 Revisited

Post by Sound Advice » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:56 am

I wouldn't change a thing.
I definatly would add a free agent period.
That's lame.
It's bad weather.
It's football.
You had a back up or you didn't.
Isn't that the case every week anyway?

It's nice of you guys to care and to try, but I wouldn't change the rules every time one guy takes a zero. Big deal. What about the teams that were affected but had a back up?
Give them credit and move on.

Billy's wr shot himself with a 40 caliber glock just before the playoffs. He's not asking for a special waiver period. He backed him up last week. Let people play the game.

I'm sure you get many complaints about a ton of things. Some of them you have to let slide.

Adding a free agent period due to acts of God would open a huge can of worms and would be misguided.

Just put in the rules that you are not responible for weather events or acts of God.

Add that 19th spot and let the games play out however they do.
No special free agents period because a WR shoots himself in the leg, and no refund if it rains, snows or windy conditions.

You can take a zero and not have a cow you know?
Look at Snake, he manged to get in both playoffs.

Just do your best and don't worry about what another team in your league is doing. Just put in the best line up you can every week. Everything will take care of itself.

mikeybok

Week 2 Revisited

Post by mikeybok » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:48 am

Originally posted by GK:
...look, SNAKE took extreme issue with the posters on the MB who were NOT affected by Hurricane Ike in week 2 It probably cost me third place ... so my opinion is apparently valid.
Originally posted by GK:
some other FF high-stakes contest mass e-mailing ALL of their participants stating that they were re-opening the WW for the Saturday that the cancelation was announced right up until just before gametime...quite frankly Big Ugly Mike, this was indeed a proper and pro-active decision to make on their part ISHO...you and The Serpent might agree to disagree here but honestly, what was wrong with that course of action?..SNAKE Glenn ... changing the rules mid stream is bad.

What if Greg has a change of heart today and decides to let all the third place teams in the Big Show because some of them might have been messed over week 2. Would you be OK that your chances of 100k would go down by 30% and your chances of 1 mil would go down 60% because Greg wanted to change the rules today? I doubt you would be OK with it (even if Greg thought it was fair). Just a thought
Hakuna Matata!

ebbjl

Week 2 Revisited

Post by ebbjl » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:48 am

Rate Member posted December 02, 2008 11:18 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QUOTE OF ORIGINAL POST: (We also tied for H2H at 9-4 and lost on points. Week 2 we had no Baltimore defense and lost by 4 that week. That win and we are in the show and winning 2nd place money instead of 3rd place money and still alive for the $100,000. It stinks but if there is anything like this again I will live and learn and not leave it in the hands of the NFL. On a different note, why is Matt Jones still playing football while all of these other players are already being suspended for a diaretic? Let's see Cocaine or a Diaretic without the substance listed on the box? How is this possible?)

My post was in no way crying over spilt milk or asking for rule changes. In fact I blamed myself and the NFL. I think the NFFC handled it by the rules as it should have been. I almost picked up a D that Friday but, it was only week 2 so it was hard to drop a player for a 2nd D when I never thought the NFL would cancel the game. My bad judgement, no blame, just painful venting. Onto my original question, why is the Williams wall being suspended and Matt "Cocaine" Jones is still playing? More NFL food for thought.