Full PPR To Be Used In All NFFC Contests Going Forward

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:41 am

When we started the NFFC in 2004, the Running Backs were so powerful in fantasy football that it barely made sense to give them a full point for swing passes that sometimes didn't even get the ball past the line of scrimmage. Point Per Reception was added to fantasy football to make the Wide Receivers more powerful, but in turn it made the top RBs even stronger.

The NFFC embraced the PPR format in 2004, but we felt it made sense to lower the scoring to a half-point per reception for all Running Backs. We felt it was a way to increase the value of Wide Receivers and Tight Ends, while still giving the RBs some credit for a reception. Whether it was right or not is debatable, but the game has definitely changed in the last 9 years and now the NFFC is ready to make a change in this area.

Our one big Rules Change for 2012 involves the scoring in all of our 14-team formats. Starting in 2012, the NFFC will have consistent scoring in all of our contests, which means that every NFFC contest will provide for 1 Point Per Reception for all players, including RBs. Now any RB, WR or TE will receive 1 Point Per Reception in ALL of our contests.

We know this will add a little more value to the RB position, but again the game has changed enough to balance things out. Last year in the NFFC, we had 18 WRs who scored 200 or more points and 15 RBs who scored 200 or more points. The scoring change will alter that slightly but not change the game for the worse.

We feel strongly that it's time to make all of our offerings more consistent for our players, from the rules to the playoff formats. We know you have enough work to prepare for Draft Day and by creating similar scoring rules for the Classic and Primetime -- in fact, all of our 12-team and 14-team formats -- we have a chance to grow.

And you've told us you want it this way as well. In our last survey, almost 78% of you asked for full PPR across the board. We already were leaning that way, but you pushed us over the edge to make the change.

It's the end of what was a very unique scoring format, one I probably fought too hard for. I wasn't trying to be different, I honestly felt that PPR was a bonus for moving the chains downfield and swing passes didn't always do that. But it's time for the NFFC to move to the more mainstream scoring of PPR. After all, they call it PPR for a reason and not Half-PPR or PPR For Some Players!! :D I'm good with us moving one.

So plan accordingly. I'll create a full Rules Changes thread once all of our announcements are made, but this really is the only one concerning scoring. We're still working on roster sizes and some of the other items, but I'll put all of them together in one thread later. Thanks all.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Sabretooth

Post by Sabretooth » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:57 am

Good Call!!!!

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:57 pm

Nice job Greg!

Wayne

joetreff

Post by joetreff » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:42 pm

78% wanted PPR across the board, sweet...so those people will now play in the Classic? nope, those weren't potential Classic entrants you were surveying...some might've been, most weren't.

How many current Classic owners would leave if changed to PPR? not asked.

Too bad...

alanr824

Post by alanr824 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:19 pm

Originally posted by felixflamingo:
78% wanted PPR across the board, sweet...so those people will now play in the Classic? nope, those weren't potential Classic entrants you were surveying...some might've been, most weren't.

Too bad... I am not understanding this post. The Classic is PPR now, just 1/2 point receptions for Running Backs. We are just changing to 1 point receptions for Running Backs. It evens things out for RB's and WR's, which I believe is a great decision and I am a current classic owner. Just for fun, would love to hear if there are any current classic owners that don't like the 1 pt receptions for running backs and why not.. Cannot understand why there would be, but would love to hear the reasoning.

[ March 13, 2012, 10:21 PM: Message edited by: Al R G ]

hammer

Post by hammer » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:33 pm

wow

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:44 am

Originally posted by felixflamingo:

Too bad... In that same survey, 59% of those who didn't play in the Classic last year said they would likely play in the Classic this year if offered on the Second Weekend. So yes, I do think we can grow the Classic this year with new players who are familiar with the PPR scoring.

If the only reason our Classic owners are playing this 14-team format is for the half-point per reception for RBs and they will leave because of the change, then I definitely didn't understand my clientele. But I don't think this scoring change will open the floodgates to leave the Classic. Rather, I think they like the tougher 14-team format and will adjust to the industry's more common PPR for all players. We were the ONLY contest to offer that niche scoring system and it's outdated now. Or at least I'm making the decision that it's time to change and make all of our scoring rules consistent.

Sometimes you have to make the call.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius