My biggest Draft-day Mistake was...

3INTBOY

Post by 3INTBOY » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:16 am

I find the Moss regrets funny, I don't know how someone could be confident selecting a guy who didn't practice for 1 month leading up to the season, quit on his team the previous season and generally hadn't been a fantasy factor for 1 1/2 years.

The regret is that he's doing well, the fact were not pointing in that direction at all.

I only have 1 regret, Norwood was a "swing for the fences". I just didn't know Bobby Petrino would prefer to run a RB 2 yards into the line of scrimmage that ducks his head over a guy that can outrun electricity.

With both starting RBs now on 3 weeks of injury/bad performances that pick clipped depth at RB for me.

3'

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:18 am

Originally posted by 3INT/BFDFANTASYfootball.com:
I find the Moss regrets funny, I don't know how someone could be confident selecting a guy who didn't practice for 1 month leading up to the season, quit on his team the previous season and generally hadn't been a fantasy factor for 1 1/2 years.
i'm in the same boat. any fantasy football player who uses logic as a basis for their decisions would have passed on moss, unless he was a good adp pick at the time.
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Ted's Cracked Head

Post by Ted's Cracked Head » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:02 am

My biggest draft day mistake - not sticking to my plan.

As soon as I found out I had an early pick (3rd), I PLANNED on taking Brady in the 4th if he was there for me and when my time came to draft I chose to take my 3rd WR instead, Driver. My prjections had Brady pushing Manning for top QB this year yet I folded when I was on the clock. Pitiful! I recall GG's post about Brady a while back and I shared his views on his potential for this year yet I chose to USE what worked for me in the PAST this year. Shame on me.

At that point it left me with Gore, Owens, Evans and Driver. I thought I was loaded and when I added Jordan in the 5th and Shockey in the 6th, I thought I was set.

Now my team with Brady wouldn't be too much better than the 0-6 and ranked 274th where I currently sit but I would feel better about my decisions from that point on.

I hate the fact that I deviated from my plan and in the long run it cost me a chance to even compete in Chicago 4.

I took MY QB in the 7th, VY and was again wrong. I was one of the few out there that thought he would build on last years efforts even though he has no viable options at WR. I was WAY wrong on him and that too cost me a ton this year as the feeling that Driver would be able to make up the difference between VY's and Brady's numbers. Wrong.

[ October 19, 2007, 12:06 PM: Message edited by: Ted's Cracked Head ]
My mama says she loves me but she could be jiving too! BB King

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:20 am

Originally posted by Ted's Cracked Head:
My biggest draft day mistake - not sticking to my plan.

As soon as I found out I had an early pick (3rd), I PLANNED on taking Brady in the 4th if he was there for me and when my time came to draft I chose to take my 3rd WR instead, Driver. My prjections had Brady pushing Manning for top QB this year yet I folded when I was on the clock. Pitiful! I recall GG's post about Brady a while back and I shared his views on his potential for this year yet I chose to USE what worked for me in the PAST this year. Shame on me.

At that point it left me with Gore, Owens, Evans and Driver. I thought I was loaded and when I added Jordan in the 5th and Shockey in the 6th, I thought I was set.

Now my team with Brady wouldn't be too much better than the 0-6 and ranked 274th where I currently sit but I would feel better about my decisions from that point on.

I hate the fact that I deviated from my plan and in the long run it cost me a chance to even compete in Chicago 4.

I took MY QB in the 7th, VY and was again wrong. I was one of the few out there that thought he would build on last years efforts even though he has no viable options at WR. I was WAY wrong on him and that too cost me a ton this year as the feeling that Driver would be able to make up the difference between VY's and Brady's numbers. Wrong. Don't beat yourself up over it Rob. You're a great player, and I too didn't "follow the script".

I know you'll learn from it, and be back as strong as ever next year! :D

jbeauch

Post by jbeauch » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:50 am

Washed up was not the term. Something like injury prone and bust potential. It was in the Super Sat. few days before the main. Should of stuck with my gut.

Pretty defensive though...

AP and TJ were not available in the Chicago 5 main.

Ted's Cracked Head

Post by Ted's Cracked Head » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:00 am

Billy,

I broke the first Golden Rule, which is to NOT deviate from your plan if you take the time to create one. Lesson learned, again.

Now all you kids out there learn from my mistake!

It was that "karma" thing coming back to haunt me for bringing the trophy to the draft and propping it up in front of me for all of my leaguemates to see. ;)
My mama says she loves me but she could be jiving too! BB King

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:16 am

TCH, be proud of your accomplishment man! I'm sure there were many who thought it neat to see what you earned!

No Karma there, just poor plan execution. I did the same thing!
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:47 am

Originally posted by Ted's Cracked Head:
At that point it left me with Gore, Owens, Evans and Driver. I thought I was loaded and when I added Jordan in the 5th and Shockey in the 6th, I thought I was set.Had I come out of the draft with that start, I would've been pumped.
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

weber7777

Post by weber7777 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:00 am

to answer your question, the draft in nffc was very strange, players were just going all over the place, i thought i had better value by taking some others like ahman green late which hasn't panned out.

in auction league, he didn't go where i thought he would go and i stupidly took portis at a great value mind you but once i took him i didn't take jordan.. the drafts just didn't play out like i thought, after those drafts, i got very strict in my drafting for wcoff and didn't let myself get swayed by how draft was going, i drafted who i liked period.
Check out fantasy football blog

www.weberfantasyfootball.com

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:15 am

Originally posted by weber:
to answer your question, the draft in nffc was very strange, players were just going all over the place, i thought i had better value by taking some others like ahman green late which hasn't panned out.

in auction league, he didn't go where i thought he would go and i stupidly took portis at a great value mind you but once i took him i didn't take jordan.. the drafts just didn't play out like i thought, after those drafts, i got very strict in my drafting for wcoff and didn't let myself get swayed by how draft was going, i drafted who i liked period. Your not the first person to come into the NFFC from the "other contest" and not have it go "as planned".

Very competitive here.