Titans-Patriots

renman

Titans-Patriots

Post by renman » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:13 am

rkulaski,

I respect that you see this differently that I do. You are fine with running up the score. I think there should be some professional courtesy and sportsmanship. Clearly my viewpoint is the norm in sports and specifically the NFL since NO OTHER NFL TEAM HAS DONE WHAT THE PATS DO (that I can think of) in the last 20 years.

Every single time I have seen a game get out of hand (like the one from this past Sunday) sees the team with the lead shift into a conservative, ball control mode to run clock. As I read through your post you continue to explain that you are fine with teams trying to run up the score. One question for you.

Why do NO TEAMS do it other than the Patriots?

Your last point was interesting. You said we heard about this every year. Really? I can't remember the last time I have heard about it in the NFL in the last 2 decades other than this past sunday with the Patriots and 2 years ago with the same Patriots.

mikeybok

Titans-Patriots

Post by mikeybok » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:49 am

Originally posted by Renman:
quote:Originally posted by Ugly Yellow Tomatoes:
quote:Originally posted by Renman:
Do others here respect my opinion that some competitive class and sportsmanship SHOULD be part of the contest? May I have that opinion? You can have that opinion. But since you asked. I do not respect it because it is a poor one that only looks at 1/2 the picture.

I couldn't agree with you more that sportsmanship is important and should be part of the contest.

IMHO ... playing at less than your best at the professional level is the disrespectful and unsportsmanlike act. Do you really think a professional athlete wants the other team to only give 50%?

If you do ... you just will not understand my point of view. But I am OK with it and don't need your permission to have it.

Mike
[/QUOTE]Ugly,

At least you admit you don't respect other peoples opinions...lol
[/QUOTE]James ... If by "other peoples" ... you mean "Renman" ... That's as close as you have ever come to getting my meaning right and not mis quoting me ... lol.

Otherwise ... you missed the boat again ... but I am getting use to you trying to put your words in my mouth and getting it wrong once again ... lol ... lol
Hakuna Matata!

mikeybok

Titans-Patriots

Post by mikeybok » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:51 am

BTW James ... you can have the last word here ... I am done with this exchange ... lol ... lol ... lol
Hakuna Matata!

renman

Titans-Patriots

Post by renman » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:22 am

Ugly,

I read both of those posts and have no idea what you are trying to say. I frankly do not remember usernames here but now do have vague memories of your username having problems with most anything I say regardless of topic.

I didn't put words in your mouth. You are cool with teams running up the score and have no problem with what the Pats did Sunday or in 2007... I respect your opinion and position on that even if I disagree with it.

I, on the other hand, believe the Pats are the ONLY NFL TEAM to be questioned on running up the score in the last 20 years (that I can remember) and believe what they did this past Sunday was classic low class poor sportsmanship.. and they did the same thing repeatedly in 2007 with the excuse being the "spygate" saga that made them mad.

I contend NFL teams REGULARLY shift into conservative, "not giving 100% to score for the fans," "run out the clock" mode when games get out of hand as a respectful sportsmanship based gesture, and maybe even an effort to limit injuries. There are examples of this almost every single week.

We can respectfully agree to disagree can we not?

[ October 20, 2009, 09:32 AM: Message edited by: Renman ]

bobsgym13

Titans-Patriots

Post by bobsgym13 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:55 am

Every team should give 100% effort an entire 60 minutes.
Who they leave in the game is purely an injury risk evaluation and has nothing to do with whether they are 'running up the score'.
Remember that teams have come back from huge deficits (Bills down 35-3 and looking impotent).
Play-calling is the big key. Conservative play-calling both reduces the risk of the pick-6 and pacifies the critics.
The Patriots say screw the critics and have determined that an angry opponent is a less cerebral opponent.
Whether or not this is poor sportsmanship is in the eye of the beholder. They crossed that line with me early in the second half. I had no problem the 5 TD 2nd quarter.
The Titans are another conversation, but I will say that I was much more offended by theeir play or lack there of.

Bob
Luck in FF is like a game of Russian Roulette. The BWaz's of the world only have one bullet to spin - the rest of us have two. It's still mostly luck, but ...
-By Bob (For Gekko)

rkulaski

Titans-Patriots

Post by rkulaski » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:07 pm

Originally posted by Renman:
rkulaski,

I respect that you see this differently that I do. You are fine with running up the score. I think there should be some professional courtesy and sportsmanship. Clearly my viewpoint is the norm in sports and specifically the NFL since NO OTHER NFL TEAM HAS DONE WHAT THE PATS DO (that I can think of) in the last 20 years.

Every single time I have seen a game get out of hand (like the one from this past Sunday) sees the team with the lead shift into a conservative, ball control mode to run clock. As I read through your post you continue to explain that you are fine with teams trying to run up the score. One question for you.

Why do NO TEAMS do it other than the Patriots?

Your last point was interesting. You said we heard about this every year. Really? I can't remember the last time I have heard about it in the NFL in the last 2 decades other than this past sunday with the Patriots and 2 years ago with the same Patriots. Answer to question 1:
Teams don't do it because they are trying to show, like you say, good sportsmanship. I understand why teams don't run up the score and I'm fine with that. We agree there. At the same time, if I'm on the losing team, I'm saying I don't care if the front-running team keeps running their starters out there and playing hard and continues to keep trying to score. If you were the Titans or on the losing side, WOULD YOU??
Did it matter to J Fisher on Sunday? Did it matter to Titans players? Does it matter to other coaches and players when they are on the losing end and the opposing team runs up the score?? I think it DOES to matter to most coaches and especially to fans. It doesn't matter to me. If I'm one of the players on the losing side, I don't want them to call off the wolves, call off their best players, and show a little mercy... AND for good reason. You should see it the same way. IF the leading/winning team let's off the reins and brings in their second string... DON'T DO IT OUT OF GOOD SPORTMANSHIP I.E. MERCY OR PITY FOR THE LOSING TEAM... do it to prevent injury to the the starters or to get the 2nd string experience, etc etc. I'm looking at it from the losing team's perspective (if I was a player) and, in my opinion, there's only one right way to see it from the losing side. And if you don't see it that way, then you're quitting.
IF you're a player on the losing side and it's 35-0 at half, and the winning team begins the 2nd half with their starters and keeps airing it out, are you going get mad?? Are you going to call them out for poor sportmanship? Are you going to quit playing the game because they WON'T STOP PLAYING HARD? We're not players, obviously, but sometimes I live vicariously through these nfl players and think we should feel the same way they do. SO this is why I think the whole "oh this team is running up the score" thing is overblown... big deal. It's 1 loss no matter how you slice it. So Brady and the Pats stayed on the field another 2 possessions. Like 1 poster said, if you feel like they're purposely trying to embarrass you and you can't stop them, RUSH ALL 12 AT BRADY and get your shots in. They'll get the message.

Answer to question #2 (Really?):
Yes, every year, pro or college, a team will take a big lead and announcers will start talking... "I think it's time to remove the starters...etc etc". I don't think there are other episodes of running up score. If I implied or said that, that is not what I meant. But, besides the Pats, only other team I can think of is maybe Spurrier's Gators in college ball.

The Franchise

Titans-Patriots

Post by The Franchise » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:41 pm

What the heck Renman? :eek: Get over it. They ran up the score, whatever, it's not illegal.

All I can say is......... I bet most Pats fans and Fantasy players (who own or don't own Brady/Moss) expected a couple of games like this along with the stats. That had not happened to this point. The offense was just not clicking......

1.Brady looked uncomfortable in the pocket/rusty
2.Welker was hurt for awhile

Well, they finally put it together and decided to have fun with it and yes at the Titans expense, But that team did not come to play. You could see it in pregame warm-ups.

FYI:

On NFL radio yesterday a football fan called and asked the question of what they thought about this game and if it was bad sportsmanship on the Patriots for scoring so much. (hey, maybe it was you calling?) :D

Randy Cross said "nope not at all. It is the Titans job to stop them. You don't want them to score, well stop them! You can't tell players to play half way, that's how you get injured"

As far as Spy-gate goes. Other teams were doing it also, they just didn't get caught. Oh well, I think at this level of competition and with so much money at stake you look for every advantage possible as long as your not doing something that is against the law.
Winning isn't everything, but the will to win is.

pizzatyme

Titans-Patriots

Post by pizzatyme » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:54 pm

Against the law or against the rules? Okay to use HGH? Just checking.
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

The Franchise

Titans-Patriots

Post by The Franchise » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:56 pm

Originally posted by Just Russ:
Against the law or against the rules? Okay to use HGH? Just checking. That's what I meant. ;) :D
Winning isn't everything, but the will to win is.

renman

Titans-Patriots

Post by renman » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:58 am

Guys,

All I am saying is that the Pats are the ONLY team who does this. College football has nothing to do with the discussion. They (The Pats) are a low class organization with zero sportsmanship and that is my sole point.

No one said it was against the rules, no one asked if the titans players cared, I am not talking about any of the tangents some of you guys are taking this discussion on.

I am saying that every single other NFL team in the league shifts into conservative mode to run out the clock when games get out of hand...

Other than the Patriots.