Is An 18-Game NFL Season Inevitable?

Dirty Deeds

Post by Dirty Deeds » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:44 pm

Originally posted by KJ Duke:
Greg, split it into two 10-week seasons! Then fanball, like the NFL, can jack up revenues at the expense of tradition. :D

If 18 games happens I would like to call for a fantasy competition committe made up of high stakes players and owners of the big 3 contests so we all can sort out what a new fantasy season should like. ;) I really like this idea KJ ! I think the involvement of a competition group of High Stakes players would be a huge plus in determining a new format.

[ November 17, 2010, 05:48 AM: Message edited by: Dirty Deeds ]

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:20 am

I'll be disappointed with an 18 game season. Throw all the records out the window, start the season earlier into baseball season. bleccch. Why not change the field length from 100 to 112 yards as well. :rolleyes:

For fantasy I'd think you'd have to run it for 18 of the 19 weeks in the first season; then take a look in the second season if that week 18 has too many starting players sitting. Just saw an article that the league may widen the playing field, for player safety.

Maybe they should make it like baseball, where every team sets their own dimensions. Tradition be damned!

BLACKHAND

Post by BLACKHAND » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:30 am

Originally posted by Coltsfan:
I love the idea of a 20 person roster! If there isn't anything on the waiver wire then you should have drafted a better team!!!

I can't see changing free agent money - it's all relative.

A 15 week regular season makes sense followed by a 3 week race.

I don't like the all play at the end. If you need to make up ground it's almost impossible with all play the last couple of weeks.

One other option would be a 13 week regular season, 2 week league playoff, and then a 3 week race. The longer the regular season, the more dead teams you are going to have. I really like the length of the season at 13 games as it is now.

One more thought. This would be a great time to have a 16 team league championship. The math works out great! Small overall prize with most of the money kept in the league.

Wayne what about the ir spot. it gives you a little more space that you can use.

the only thing i dont like about all play in the begining is that it might make alot more dead teams by week 7 instead of week 9. lots to think about here.
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:46 am

Increase the regular season by one game and the championship round by one game (or two).
Adding a week or two to the championship round would be a benefit as it'll be a larger sample size to mitigate one off week or one monster week and possibly crown a true champion.

As far as increasing roster size or adding an IR for the Classic, Auction, Premium leagues, or any 14-team format, big mistake. Might as well make FAAB close to meaningless. You have to give teams the opportunity to improve their teams or make up for injuries and in a non-trade format, FAAB is the only avenue to do so. There needs to be some players left in the free agent pool week to week, otherwise make it a DC.

Another thing to think about is if the NFL increases to a 20-week season with two byes, what weeks do those byes fall in? Do they continue with byes starting week 3 and ending week 10 or do they extend it out to week 12, 13, 14? If you utilize All-Play to compensate for additional weeks, where the byes fall will have to be taken into account.

Glenn

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:17 am

We'll definitely look into all of these suggestions once we know what the schedule is going to look like. All good suggestions.

It doesn't say in Mort's story whether the 18-game season would go into effect in 2011 or 2012. Does anyone know what year they might start this? Would it be immediately with the new contract??
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:03 am

Originally posted by King of Queens:
Just saw an article that the league may widen the playing field, for player safety.

Maybe they should make it like baseball, where every team sets their own dimensions. Tradition be damned! The fastest teams would end up with square playing fields at home.

KenGill

Post by KenGill » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:22 am

Going from 16 to 18 games has to be one of the worst ideas I've ever heard. There are so many injuries already with just 16 games. You add two more games and some of these teams will be advertising in the want ads section of the newspaper by the time you get to the end of the year. No reason to do it, other than greed. Keep it at 16 games, it's worked well for 30 years now.
I never lost a game. I only ran out of time. Bobby Layne
Kid....if you're going to make it in this league, you're going to have to learn to drink. Bobby Layne

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:46 am

quote:Originally posted by King of Queens:
Just saw an article that the league may widen the playing field, for player safety.

Maybe they should make it like baseball, where every team sets their own dimensions. Tradition be damned! The fastest teams would end up with square playing fields at home.
[/QUOTE]In Green Bay we'd do just the opposite: We'd get 400 pound linemen, freeze the Tundra and make the field 10 yards wide. :D A winter scrum for points.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:34 am

Originally posted by TOXIC ASSETS:
Going from 16 to 18 games has to be one of the worst ideas I've ever heard. There are so many injuries already with just 16 games. You add two more games and some of these teams will be advertising in the want ads section of the newspaper by the time you get to the end of the year. No reason to do it, other than greed. Keep it at 16 games, it's worked well for 30 years now. I'm all for keeping it at 16. They have a great thing going and I just don't see any reason to take a chance with it.

Wayne

BLACKHAND

Post by BLACKHAND » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:09 pm

Originally posted by TOXIC ASSETS:
Going from 16 to 18 games has to be one of the worst ideas I've ever heard. There are so many injuries already with just 16 games. You add two more games and some of these teams will be advertising in the want ads section of the newspaper by the time you get to the end of the year. No reason to do it, other than greed. Keep it at 16 games, it's worked well for 30 years now. there is good and bad to this. as far as injuries go its not like nobody gets hurt in preseason games. a number of injuries happen in preseason. i think life span for rb's will be cut short. im sure roosters will be expanded on real nfl teams. season ticket holders wont have to buy games that you cant give away. as much as people dont like change we will get used to it.
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN