What Is Going To Happen To High-Stakes Fantasy Football?

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:52 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
I also want to add here that I hope our high-stakes space grows up a bit throughout all of this. It's almost as if we've become a very immature part of this industry. I know that sounds harsh, but nowhere else in the fantasy football community -- yes, this seems to be more limited to football -- do you see game operators or their customers continue to take shots at other products. There's almost this mentality of back-stabbing the competition to gain more market share because this area of the market is so limited. I hate that and it seems to grow even more and more here each year.Things have definitely changed since we joined the high-stakes space that Lenny & Emil had created so effectively. We competed with them for football but there was never any bad blood between us. We didn't attack them and they didn't attack us. We both believed in what we had to offer, put it out there for the players and let them decide what they wanted to do. A simple concept but one that worked effectively for both events and both of us grew our numbers as a result.

Maybe someday we'll be able to get back to that type of situation where all that's needed to be demonstrated is the strength of our respective games without the need for the silly attacks that are almost always counter-productive and lend nothing of value to the space we're in.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

KOKID

Post by KOKID » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:52 am

Hello folks. This is my 1st post here and I want to thank Greg and Tom for getting me all squared away so I could even sign on to this message board as I've been lurking for a while but unable to sign in and post.

I still find it hard to believe that your live main event drafts on Friday Sept 9th (2pm & 6pm) and Saturday Sept 10th (10am & 4pm) weren't based on the exact draft times of the FFPC. You mentioned that you chose your draft times after your conference in my neck of the world (San Francisco) when you learned more about the WCoFF and you decided to fill the void that may be left when WCoFF is no longer a viable option (to paraphrase). Per the WCoFF website there are only 2 live main event drafts (same as always I believe) one is at 7pm on 9/9/11 and one is at 10am on 9/10/11. Yet the only options available to us for the NFFC are 9/9/11 @ 2pm and 6pm (same as FFPC) or 9/10/11 @ 10am (same as FFPC) and 4pm (same as FFPC). I would think you would have nailed down your draft times so as not to cause folks to have to choose but rather play in as many live events as possible if they have deep enough pockets (if any of us have those kind of funds anymore?)...anyway, I will take you at your word but I hope you can see why I'd wonder about your comments on "growing" the "market" vs. "stealing market share" or "killing each other over the remaining customers." Of course having said all of the above on your board most will wonder why I am posting here when it's NFFC 1st option and all others a distant 2nd

Thanks again for letting me post sir - I appreciate it.

KO'd

[ June 30, 2011, 08:09 AM: Message edited by: Tom Kessenich ]

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:07 am

There are THREE times that FFPC and NFFC have their live main event drafts. TWO of those times were when WCOFF (previously?) had their drafts.

Does anyone think that is a coincidence?? Of course not. BOTH companies are trying to take advantage of a BIG void in the market.

Not sure what else you would expect here KOKID, but ANY draft the NFFC chose on that Saturday was going to overlap with the FFPC in some way.

People have always had to make choices, and this year will be no different. There are plenty of options to do both (as you mentioned IF funds allow). The only difference is now there are TWO quality options, and ZERO "sketchy" ones. ;)

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:31 am

I think the NFFC Primetime schedule should be as follows:

Friday 9/9/11
1:30am PDT
5:30am PDT
11:00pm PDT

Saturday 9/10/11
2:45am PDT
6:00am PDT
11:30pm PDT

Please have coffee hot and ready!

DoubleG

Post by DoubleG » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:35 am

KO'd - The NFFC is a great experience. Greg will literally bend over backwards to make sure the event is smooth yet exciting!

I'm spending 100% of my fantasy football dollars at the NFFC this year. :D

Erok

Post by Erok » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:13 pm

Tom or Greg--- If you dont mind me offering up an opinion that may help out.........

Would it be possible to simply create a link on the NFFC homepage that would take you to a list of ALL available drafts, dates, and times, as well as the number of people registered for each draft (kind of like what WCOFF has always done, and now FFPC)?

I know you usually post all this stuff on the message boards, but wouldnt doing things this way make your life easier and things more convenient for us?

Baker Boy

Post by Baker Boy » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:17 pm

There based on the exact times as the FFPC because those are the best times to draft during the weekend. Noone would even have a draft at 10AM on Saturday if the WCoFF were still viable. Hopefully alot of the old WCoFF players continue to play HSFF this weekend in the other 2 leagues

DoubleG

Post by DoubleG » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:43 pm

Originally posted by W. Klown:
Tom or Greg--- If you dont mind me offering up an opinion that may help out.........

Would it be possible to simply create a link on the NFFC homepage that would take you to a list of ALL available drafts, dates, and times, as well as the number of people registered for each draft (kind of like what WCOFF has always done, and now FFPC)?

I know you usually post all this stuff on the message boards, but wouldnt doing things this way make your life easier and things more convenient for us? 100% agree. Even though i'm aware of all your events, newbies could find it a bit tough to navigate everything. have one page with a schedule of events with each event spelled out if it's 12 team or 14 team. only listing "classic" and "primetime" could cause newbies to become frustrated.

KOKID

Post by KOKID » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:46 pm

Well until 2009 (FFPC's 2nd year) WCoFF never had the Friday night draft...so yes after that date WCoFF then had 2 drafts but only 1 of those was at the same time as FFPC's - Friday night, which was the night FFPC started their whole existence in 2008. I guess my point is FFPC didn't (and couldn't) come on board and immediately try to take market share...they helped to expand it by offering additional times that did not duplicate or even overlap. Overlapping is cool but complete duplication is another thing entirely.

I would feel the same way if in 2012 the FFPC decided that they wanted to form a 14 team live draft main event contest to be drafted in Vegas over Labor Day Weekend at the exact (not overlapping) same start times as the NFFC by the way.

Nothing is of course copyrighted - just because NFFC drafts on Labor Day Weekend does not exclude other contests from doing the same thing I suppose and same thing applies to FFPC's schedule of events.

Yes Billy people always had to make choices before but most could do both without having to eliminate another one...until WCoFF tried to flex their muscles and draft on Friday evenings. I would think an NFFC Saturday at 1pm draft wouldn't overlap - might be close though and/or a 7:30pm Saturday evening draft would also not overlap...it is what it is and we will see how all of this shakes out in light of the gaping black hole that once was WCoFF.

Wow 2 posts in one day...someone take my keyboard away!

KO'd

Baker Boy

Post by Baker Boy » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:51 pm

Its best anyway if both leagues are on the same time if a player wants to play in both Main Events on the same day. I mean you play in the 10Am on Sat in one then you have plenty of time to get to play at 4 in the other.

[ June 29, 2011, 06:58 PM: Message edited by: Baker Boy ]