What Is Going To Happen To High-Stakes Fantasy Football?

Baker Boy

Post by Baker Boy » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:52 pm

[ June 29, 2011, 06:53 PM: Message edited by: Baker Boy ]

KOKID

Post by KOKID » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:53 pm

Originally posted by DoubleG:
quote:Originally posted by W. Klown:
Tom or Greg--- If you dont mind me offering up an opinion that may help out.........

Would it be possible to simply create a link on the NFFC homepage that would take you to a list of ALL available drafts, dates, and times, as well as the number of people registered for each draft (kind of like what WCOFF has always done, and now FFPC)?

I know you usually post all this stuff on the message boards, but wouldnt doing things this way make your life easier and things more convenient for us? 100% agree. Even though i'm aware of all your events, newbies could find it a bit tough to navigate everything. have one page with a schedule of events with each event spelled out if it's 12 team or 14 team. only listing "classic" and "primetime" could cause newbies to become frustrated.
[/QUOTE]Totally agree with this statement...as a newbie myself it is kind of different trying to understand which weekend is a 14 team weekend and which is a 12....although I think I get it now.

KO'd

RedRyder

Post by RedRyder » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:56 pm

Originally posted by King of Queens:
I think the NFFC Primetime schedule should be as follows:

Friday 9/9/11
1:30am PDT
5:30am PDT
11:00pm PDT

Saturday 9/10/11
2:45am PDT
6:00am PDT
11:30pm PDT

Please have coffee hot and ready! Sign me up!!!

Joking aside, I wish one of the contests would have a 6pm PST ONLINE Saturday draft, I'd join. I can't do a 4pm PST or so because I have to travel back home Saturday afternoon, as I don't like to be in Vegas the night before Sunday morning's games.
@RedRyder

texasducks69

Post by texasducks69 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:24 pm

I've got to say as a huge FFPC supporter, this doesn't feel anywhere near the same as it did when the WCOFF decided to have a Friday draft. That was a knee jerk reaction to the FFPC.

The one thing the WCOFF had that we will never see again was "The Room" we al remember our first time walking into that room.. Now with Friday, Saturday and online options no event will have that room.

With both events offering multiple draft times and dates some are going to overlap. There are enough options for anyone to draft whenever and wherever they choose.

Gonna be a strange trip for me this year, because of the demise of the WCOFF and different flight options this year I'm arriving on Wednesday and leaving Saturday morning. Never thought I'd see that day.

[ June 29, 2011, 07:25 PM: Message edited by: The Yellow Line is Unofficial ]

DoubleG

Post by DoubleG » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:52 pm

Originally posted by The Yellow Line is Unofficial:

Gonna be a strange trip for me this year, because of the demise of the WCOFF Yellow - It's interesting to see people posting that wcoff needs a big investor to save them. think about what that means if true...they are bankrupt and need a bailout. some people posting will even consider signing up with the wcoff if that get that big bailout (i mean investor) comes along. i don't understand it.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:50 pm

WOW, I never expected my emails to get copied and pasted on the message boards. Sorry KOKID, but I responded as fast as I could to you today via email to get you on our message boards and then had to leave for a family emergency before really going through your long and continuous email. I didn't realize when I responded that it was going out on a public forum. I'll remember that next time we talk.

But my response wouldn't be much different now that I've digested what you are asking above. First of all, realize that FFPC added the Saturday 10 am Main Event after we did. I didn't follow them. I put four time slots out there awhile back and FFPC had three time slots before Alex recently added the 10 am Saturday Main Event. It makes sense for him and for us to do that if you believe that WCOFF won't return in full. Neither of us do, so Saturday at 10 am -- the most attended time to draft over the last nine years -- makes sense for both of us. Neither copied that time spot; it just made good sense if you believe that time slot has just opened.

You are right, we have a LOT of offerings and need a real quick spot to simplify everything and the number of openings for each event in each city. We have a lot on our plate right now and I can't guarantee we'll get that programmed, but it makes sense. I hope we can do it.

As for the 14-team and 12-team weekends, yes we are trying to differentiate the two weekends. Before we even knew the full details about WCOFF's situation, we felt it was time to create two weekends of drafts like we have in baseball. We felt we had a good history of people attending our Labor Day weekend of 14-team leagues and wanted to keep them the same as always. We didn't feel at the time that we wanted all of our 12-teamers on Sept. 9-10 and felt having the Primetime on both weekends would maximize our potential and reach solid prize pools. Now with everything that has happened in this space, we feel very confident that our 12-team format could surpass our 14-team format in participation.

While we have championed the 14-team format for the last eight years, we realize that the 12-team format will grow more for us in future years. It's more natural to veteran players in this space and now there's demand for another 12-team contest. We hope to fill that void.

I'm still all for growing the market, this area of the market. That's the goal. Obviously our intended growth in the 12-team market on Sept. 9-10 is coming because of the void we think is there. We're going to have two straight weekends of fun across the country and nobody will enjoy Las Vegas more on Sept. 9-10 than yours truly. :D

Next time please tell me when you're going to post my email, though, so I know that I can't just reply off the cuff. Thanks.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

KOKID

Post by KOKID » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:43 am

No problem Greg. Sorry if I misunderstood your email to me...could have sworn (disclaimer - as I am about to quote another part of your email to me ) that you said "I hope we can get you to post this on your boards." Which I thought went for not only my email to you but your responses as well. Also figured the word "your" was a typo and you meant "our" since I am not an owner of a message board.

Anyway, perhaps I misunderstood your other point where you mentioned that you added your draft dates and times after you attended the FSTA conference in SF which I believe took place in early June? I know for sure that the FFPC had their 10am Saturday 9/10/11 draft as option in May (and maybe earlier even)...I know because their early bird special ran through May 15th and you could put down a deposit for each main event live draft (of which there were 3 to choose from - 6pm on 9/9/11, 10am on 9/10/11 and 4pm on 9/10/11).

Again I apologize for putting your email to me on here - didn't realize it was for my eyes only and as you said, you probably woudn't have changed anything in it anyway...hey at least I left out the parts about Alex being a puppy kicker right? Just kidding of course...last thing I need is PETA getting after me!

Also - I am very sorry to hear of your family emergency and I do hope everything is okay on the home front sir.

KO'd

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:57 am

Everything is fine on the home front, so no problem there. All is good.

No problem. The gist of the answer is that while you think we were competing at the same times as FFPC I honestly didn't look at those time slots and say we needed to stay away from them. I looked at what time slots seemed to be opening up from the other contest possibly leaving and went with a similar schedule. With each contest now deciding to run four different Main Event options in Las Vegas on that weekend, I think everyone can pick and choose to play in all of the contests if they'd like. Heck, with the FFPC announcing that they are hosting their live events at Caesar's, which is right next door to the Bellagio, I have a feeling that many owners will play in both events on different days.

We all want the current base of HSFF players to stick around and play in multiple contests. That's a given. But the key is growing the customer base beyond that and all of us have to do that. If we all just cater to the 1,200-1,400 unique players that are carrying this space right now -- and if some leave because of non-payment issues -- we're all in trouble. We need to creatively bring in new customers to this space starting with the lower-priced games and expand the HSFF customer base. If we don't do that, a blow like the other contest is delivering now could be near fatal to all of us.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

thegambler

Post by thegambler » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:05 am

greg, you have to relize that the guys that play in the ffpc are beyond dedicated to them.....it is almost like an allegiance and devotion to them. not taking a shot at alex or the ffpc but that is what it is.

its not alex's or the ffpc's fault that people go out of their way to defend them. i am sure you guys wish you had players like that....

not all of their players are that way but there are some that treat it like a cult.....i think it is pretty funny. i call them lackeys.

i could use a couple of them.....

texasducks69

Post by texasducks69 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:31 am

Originally posted by thegambler:
greg, you have to relize that the guys that play in the ffpc are beyond dedicated to them.....it is almost like an allegiance and devotion to them. not taking a shot at alex or the ffpc but that is what it is.

its not alex's or the ffpc's fault that people go out of their way to defend them. i am sure you guys wish you had players like that....

not all of their players are that way but there are some that treat it like a cult.....i think it is pretty funny. i call them lackeys.

i could use a couple of them..... Do you mean in the same way you defended the WCOFF for years?

[ June 30, 2011, 11:33 AM: Message edited by: The Yellow Line is Unofficial ]