What Is Going To Happen To High-Stakes Fantasy Football?

KOKID

Post by KOKID » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:50 am

I would imagine they deleted that thread (the 3rd or 4th one I believe in the last few months - all were very lengthy and very harsh...understandably so...on the WCoFF) because they know this can only go one place...court...a last ditch effort to get rid of statements they'd rather not have read in court I imagine...I sure hope someone made copies of that topic thread and the other ones that had been deleted earlier in the spring/summer.

I feel bad for all owed money (obviously) in football, really bad for all baseball folks as I cannot fathom the amount of time and effort that it takes to compete at an elite level in baseball (I've done a couple of local baseball leagues and it was just too much work for me) and I feel horrific for any unsuspecting folks who don't know what is going on and may end up at the MGM or some anxillary site on 9/9 or 9/10 to draft and find only locked doors. Wow. Grow a pair WCoFF and make a statement that 2011 is not gonna happen so folks can plan accordingly and if finances allow it...maybe draft at the NFFC, the FFPC or both or online.

KO'd

Paul Gromek

Post by Paul Gromek » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:10 am

I can just imagine people showing up in Vegas expecting to draft in the WCOFF that weekend. Unless you are checking the message boards and such how would know what is going on.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:58 am

Originally posted by Paul Gromek:
I can just imagine people showing up in Vegas expecting to draft in the WCOFF that weekend. Unless you are checking the message boards and such how would know what is going on. I hate to keep bringing up the WCOFF on our boards, but I'm still amazed that no official announcement has been made by the WCOFF or that Registration hasn't been disabled yet. As Paul says above, with 180+ draft spots announced last Monday in emphatic fashion, you just know that some folks are going to show up for the drafts and not know what is going on. It's crazy that no official announcement has been made or that something official wasn't at the very least posted on the Message Boards.

Amazingly, some folks did talk with Dustin in the last few days and they were told that something would be decided and announced by 7:00 last night. Not surprisingly, the self-imposed deadline once again was met with no results. It's really time for management there to update the customers and to stop taking signups if the advertised $300,000 grand prize can't be met. Again, in talking with these loyal customers, most know what is inevitably coming but some still don't want to commit to anything until it's officially announced.

Even to the bitter end, they are looking for direction from WCOFF officials. Can't someone over there do the right thing and officially announce what is going on? It's the LEAST you can do.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:08 am

IIt is mind boggling how stupid this ownership group ran and continues to run this clusterfuck of an operation. Can anyone name one smart thing that they did the entire time owning this game? Seriously, I cannot think of a single thing. It blows my mind how irresponsible they were with my money.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:22 am

Unlike Fantasy Jungle, I think there were some warning signs as far back as 2008 (and maybe earlier....didn't play before then).

Saw minor warning signs in 2008 (very unorganized, people facilitating had no clue of rules or setup) but won my league, so I decided to play in 2009. They were FAR worse then, and didn't seem to care about their customers. I know in 2009 payments weren't very quick, as people were "waiting" on the early bird signups to get paid.

Thankfully didn't play there last year. And while I agree with Chad of how inept they were, it was US (their customers) that kept them "alive". I mean there were STILL people on there a week ago who were ready to send in MORE money!!! :eek:

It's like a shitty waiter or waitress.....if you keep tipping them 15-20%, they are never going to know they aren't doing what they are supposed to, and will continue to do as little as possible.

These guys took it to a new level though with all the celebrity leagues, week long trips to the Super Bowl, etc.

I hope you get some sort of compensation Chad, as I know you are owed a lot. :(

DoubleG

Post by DoubleG » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:43 am

There was a group of NFBC'ers discussing WCOFF solvency in March 2010 at the NFBC main event in Atlantic City.

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:47 am

Money talks bullshit walks. MAN did wcoff ever fill out that expression.

Old School

Post by Old School » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:17 am

Originally posted by BillyWaz:
Unlike Fantasy Jungle, I think there were some warning signs as far back as 2008 (and maybe earlier....didn't play before then).

Saw minor warning signs in 2008 (very unorganized, people facilitating had no clue of rules or setup) but won my league, so I decided to play in 2009. They were FAR worse then, and didn't seem to care about their customers. I know in 2009 payments weren't very quick, as people were "waiting" on the early bird signups to get paid.

Thankfully didn't play there last year. And while I agree with Chad of how inept they were, it was US (their customers) that kept them "alive". I mean there were STILL people on there a week ago who were ready to send in MORE money!!! :eek:

It's like a shitty waiter or waitress.....if you keep tipping them 15-20%, they are never going to know they aren't doing what they are supposed to, and will continue to do as little as possible.

These guys took it to a new level though with all the celebrity leagues, week long trips to the Super Bowl, etc.

I hope you get some sort of compensation Chad, as I know you are owed a lot. :( I agree with Billy. There were many warning signs.
2 years ago took forever to get paid, until May I believe, always coming up with excuses. Kinda "encouraging" rollover of winnings, crappy customer service, disrespected, failed promises

Back then I asked Dustin and Shawn about the financial situation of the WCFF, and got zero response. That was all I needed to know. Reluctantly I played in the main last year, but almost glad in a away I did not win the league.

Winners should ban together and force them into
bankruptcy to audit all monies paid or spent. Hopefully there is something recovered before
attorneys eat up remaining assets at $400 per hour.

[ August 24, 2011, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: Old School ]