Charles Woodson Is Defensive Player Of The Year. But Should He Have Been?

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:46 am

I'm not sure we'll see another CB have the type of season Revis did - not even Revis. It wasn't just the fact that no WR did anything against him, it was the fact that nearly every week he faced a star WR. His schedule was ridiculous in terms of the talent he was facing. And yet he shut them all down. I think we'll see seasons like Woodson's again. It was a great season, don't get me wrong, but it wasn't spectacular in my opinion. What Revis did was and it was the kind of season we may not see again for a very long time.

And that's why I believe he deserved the award.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Eddiejag

Post by Eddiejag » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:47 pm

Is Revis really a rookie i didnt know that,damn.
What pick was he and what college.I also agree with most that he was the defensive player of the year.Shuting down the likes of Randy Moss,Steve Smith,and Andre Johnson and others was unreal.People in fantasy would sit their stud recievers then rather deal with Revis ive never seen that before.
NFBC (NY) auction league champion!
Bad(ass)Angels

He who steps to me in 2005, you better realize you dont have enough jive..... TURKEY!

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:17 pm

Originally posted by Eddiejag:
Is Revis really a rookie i didnt know that,damn.
What pick was he and what college.I also agree with most that he was the defensive player of the year.Shuting down the likes of Randy Moss,Steve Smith,and Andre Johnson and others was unreal.People in fantasy would sit their stud recievers then rather deal with Revis ive never seen that before. Wow...I wrote rookie re: a 3rd year player. Oops, my bad. I knew he was a 3rd year player because I was breaking down his 2008 season.

I'd like to see the number of times he was tested (thrown toward) in 2009. I'd like to compare those numbers to Prime-time in his prime.

To game plan around a certain player does not make him the automatic MVP of the entire defensive NFL...it just shows that QB's and coordinators were showing a ton of respect. He deserved that respect. 37 passes defended and 6 picks when they threw toward him. Woodson had 27 and 9. Revis isn't nearly the run stopper that Woodson is.

How many other CB's line up vs. a specific player all game long? Almost none? You don't think some of the other top CB's in the league could do a better job of shutting down a specific top name WR's if they weren't stuck on one side of the field? I do. The Jets defensive game planning is rare and awesome and Revis is awesome...but Woodson had the better year statistically. How can you base an award on anything but numbers?

If teams ran away from wherever Ray Lewis or Patrick Willis lined up...and he finished the year with 80 tackles instead of 160 even though he was the best player...he wouldn't be getting the DPOY award either.

[ January 12, 2010, 07:21 PM: Message edited by: sportsbettingman ]
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

Ted's Cracked Head

Post by Ted's Cracked Head » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:30 pm

Lance the numbers are there for Revis.

The numbers that the players he faced did not accumulate.

When ONE person can shut down a player each week that normally takes two, that leaves another D player available to make tackles and pressure the QB. He made the rest of the defense better.

I guess what I am saying is that the lack of numbers also point to Revis being Def player of the Year.
My mama says she loves me but she could be jiving too! BB King

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:24 am

"Colorado Springs Gazette beat writer Frank Schwab, the area’s All Pro voter, tracked down detailed stats for the league’s cornerbacks and discovered that Bailey was the only one not to allow a touchdown this season , despite spending much of the season shadowing the opponent’s top receiver (like San Diego’s Vincent Jackson, Indianapolis’ Reggie Wayne and Philadelphia’s DeSean Jackson).

According to Stats, Ic., Bailey allowed 47 catches for a total of 624 yards. That’s more than Jets star Darrelle Revis allowed (40 for 439 yards) but that Bailey didn’t allow even a single touchdown is impressive. Remember the end of the Dallas game, folks? Brandon Marshall’s 51-yard catch-and-run touchdown might be the play that led the highlight reels, but it was Bailey’s back-to-back pass breakups in the end zone that sealed the win for the Broncos."

(Just food for thought)
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver