Quitters ruin this contest....

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:17 am

I think this issue is as important as 3RR, arguably more so. However, having the game operator tinkering with lineups is not the way to go; more downside than upside with that idea.

ToddZ

Post by ToddZ » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:39 am

I wonder how Joe Blanton feels about this.
"No one cares about your team but you."

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:51 am

Originally posted by Quahogs:
quote:Originally posted by Renman:

I believe it was a VERY VERY VERY long debate and ongoing discussion that ultimately lead us to KDS and 3RR. while obviously this issue isn't on the level of importance of that one, there is still nothing wrong with an ongoing discussion about it, even if things get repeated.

a bounded printout of the KDS and 3RR debates. Boys we got work to do ! Now lets get debatin'!
[/QUOTE]Anyone not interested in a complete tangent please skip this post of mine.

Just this weekend in a drunken conversation of the ages that took place after the NFL games...the topic wandered to religion, and a friend told me there was some giant 165 pound, 800 year old book whose pages where made from animal skin called the Codex Gigas which roughly translated means "Devil's Bible".

Our conspiracy drunken conversation revolved around the weird notion that this book was from a place called Bohemia in the Czech Republic and contained the Bohemian Chronicles and that for some reason our nations presidents and elite way over here in northern California gather to Bohemian Ave. in Monte Rio, CA and do what appear to be rituals around fire and a giant owl in what is called The Boheminan Grove.

What a freaking coincidence!

There are supposed to be like 8 pages missing. I wonder what they contained?

I'm going to learn to read Latin so I can read the old texts of our time without a translator possibly changing meanings.

It may take a while! :D

Sorry for such a tangential interjection to the current thread...but that book Q posted made me remember what happened all of 3 days ago that I had forgot!

So blame Q!!! :D :D :D

http://czech.titio.cz/en/news/culture/e ... bible-?i=1
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

KOTRAX

Post by KOTRAX » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:03 am

Originally posted by Just Russ:
Quitters are going to happen, period. Trying to manage out quitters is an exercise in futility. And I will not risk another $100 (as proposed) to try to get quitters motivated.

It still sucks, however. ARE YOU KIDDING ME RUSS? IT'S NOT LIKE YOU CAN'T BENEFIT FROM THE $100 YOURSELF.

JUST IMAGINE IN THE FFPC YOU RISKED THIS SAME $100. HOW MANY WEEKS DID YOU FINISH IN FIRST IN THE LAST FOUR WEEKS OF YOUR LEAGUE?

THEN YOU WOULD WIN $200 EVERY WEEK. IT IS NOT LIKE JUST THE QUITTERS OR THE LOWER TEAMS BENEFIT FROM IT. IT WOULD BE THE WHOLE LEAGUE.

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:21 am

Lance - most excellent stuff. Did you check out the devil's portrait? Take a look at the Where the Wild Things Are monster.

spooky similarities! Bring this up at your next blab gab

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:40 am

Originally posted by KJ Duke:
quote:Originally posted by Just Russ:
Quitters are going to happen, period. Trying to manage out quitters is an exercise in futility. And I will not risk another $100 (as proposed) to try to get quitters motivated.

This is not an all or nothing circumstance, less quitters is better than more; and it already has been proven (not to mention intuitive with any consideration of human nature) that less players will quit if they still have something to play for.

And as for not being willing to risk another $100 for a high weekly scrore prize, I'd bet a lot of money that both you and Gekko would still play (and you'd probably like it after the first year).
[/QUOTE]KJ, while I may like it, I would not find out. I'm not willing to pay $100 for that reason. I'd pay $100 if i knew I got it back at season's end if I was active every week and set proper lineups. But, no, I'm not willing to make a side bet in the hopes that it has a few more stiffs hanging around.

I'd also argue that if it doesn't have a dynamic effect on reducing "quitters" then that is even worse! What if it only impacts my league next year? Then I have 14 owners pursuing FAAB every week, where in all other (or the majority) leagues do not. That now limits my ability to get late season help. I'm then at a competitive disadvantage against all other leagues.

No thanks.
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:43 am

Originally posted by KOTRAX:

It still sucks, however. ARE YOU KIDDING ME RUSS? IT'S NOT LIKE YOU CAN'T BENEFIT FROM THE $100 YOURSELF.

JUST IMAGINE IN THE FFPC YOU RISKED THIS SAME $100. HOW MANY WEEKS DID YOU FINISH IN FIRST IN THE LAST FOUR WEEKS OF YOUR LEAGUE?

THEN YOU WOULD WIN $200 EVERY WEEK. IT IS NOT LIKE JUST THE QUITTERS OR THE LOWER TEAMS BENEFIT FROM IT. IT WOULD BE THE WHOLE LEAGUE.
[/QUOTE]OK, Ormond, that's one example. now let's look at my NFFC Classic team. It's competitive, but isn't the highest scoring team any week. Now I've invested $100 to keep the "quitters" hopefully more active and given my $100 away to someone else.

No thanks.
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

Moonlight Graham

Post by Moonlight Graham » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:51 am

Originally posted by Renman:
I want some feedback. I made this point earlier today but it was the last post on the previous page and I am not sure how many saw it...

We currently have AUTOMATED LINEUPS set for us each week. Each week, on Tuesday morning, we see our team and a lineup has been put in place. It is not like we have an empty team that requires us manually enter the players at each position to fill a lineup.

We all (or at least 99% of us) begin tinkering with our lineups (as early as Tuesday morning at work), often changing it countless times throughout the week. Why can't this automated Tuesday morning lineup be the highest averaging lineup among players that are not on BYE or listed as OUT? This immediately gets the one thing that drives people nuts about quitters cleaned up.

What is the downside to this? I am no expert, but why wouldn't this work?

KOTRAX

Post by KOTRAX » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:16 am

quote:Originally posted by KOTRAX:

[/QUOTE]OK, Ormond, that's one example. now let's look at my NFFC Classic team. It's competitive, but isn't the highest scoring team any week. Now I've invested $100 to keep the "quitters" hopefully more active and given my $100 away to someone else.

No thanks.
[/QUOTE]THAT MAYBE BUT IT IS A BENEFIT TO THE LEAGUE AS A WHOLE. YOU HAVE SEVEN CRACKS TO WIN $200 EVERY WEEK BY INVESTING $100.

ALSO IF YOU TAKE THAT OVER A TWO YEAR SPAN IT WOULD BE $200 OVER 14 WEEKS.

SO WIN ONE WEEK OUT OF 14 DURING THAT TIME YOU GET YOUR MONEY BACK.

I THINK THOSE ARE DECENT ODDS AND AT THE SAME TIME YOU WOULD HAVE LESS QUITTERS IF ANY IN THE LEAGUE. (POTENTIALLY)

[ November 25, 2009, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: KOTRAX ]

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:28 am

quote:Originally posted by KJ Duke:

This is not an all or nothing circumstance, less quitters is better than more; and it already has been proven (not to mention intuitive with any consideration of human nature) that less players will quit if they still have something to play for.

And as for not being willing to risk another $100 for a high weekly scrore prize, I'd bet a lot of money that both you and Gekko would still play (and you'd probably like it after the first year).
[/QUOTE]KJ, while I may like it, I would not find out. I'm not willing to pay $100 for that reason. I'd pay $100 if i knew I got it back at season's end if I was active every week and set proper lineups. But, no, I'm not willing to make a side bet in the hopes that it has a few more stiffs hanging around.

I'd also argue that if it doesn't have a dynamic effect on reducing "quitters" then that is even worse! What if it only impacts my league next year? Then I have 14 owners pursuing FAAB every week, where in all other (or the majority) leagues do not. That now limits my ability to get late season help. I'm then at a competitive disadvantage against all other leagues.

No thanks.
[/QUOTE]I think the truth slips out in your argument - you want quitters to help you win. You just don't want to come out and say it - which would explain why you're so against something that would reduce the number of teams that quit.