Quitters ruin this contest....

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:07 am

Originally posted by Moonlight Graham:
Gekko,

Thanks for the feedback. Unless I am understanding it wrong wouldn't Boss be replaced only if he himself were on a bye or designated as out/IR? Wouldn't we all know the rules and understand that each week players on bye or out/IR would not be in starting lineups? yes, you are misunderstanding what reman said "Why can't this automated Tuesday morning lineup be the highest averaging lineup among players that are not on BYE or listed as OUT?"

highest scoring average guys would populate the starting lineup as long as the players were not bye week or IR players.

TamuScarecrow

Post by TamuScarecrow » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:11 am

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Renman:
I want some feedback. I made this point earlier today but it was the last post on the previous page and I am not sure how many saw it...

We currently have AUTOMATED LINEUPS set for us each week. Each week, on Tuesday morning, we see our team and a lineup has been put in place. It is not like we have an empty team that requires us manually enter the players at each position to fill a lineup.

We all (or at least 99% of us) begin tinkering with our lineups (as early as Tuesday morning at work), often changing it countless times throughout the week. Why can't this automated Tuesday morning lineup be the highest averaging lineup among players that are not on BYE or listed as OUT? This immediately gets the one thing that drives people nuts about quitters cleaned up.

What is the downside to this?

I am no expert, but why wouldn't this work?

Can anyone tell me why this can't work? I haven't seen why this can't work yet.[quote]
--------------------------------------------------

Because the OUTS aren't listed as OUT until the official Friday injury report comes out. That's why !!!

Let me say it again, for the integrity of FANBALL, NOONE needs to be changing anyone's lineups. A courtesy email 24 hours before the kickoff of the first NFL game each week is the best they will be able to do. This idea of the game organizer changing lineups for participants in its game is utterly stupid. YOU CANNOT TAKE THE HUMAN ELEMENT OUT OF THE GAME.
2005 NY/CHI League Champ
2006 CHI#2 3rd Place
2006 Auction Reg Season Champ
2007 TAM#2 2nd Place
2007 Auction Reg Season Champ
2009 LV#5 League Champ
2010 Auction Reg Season Champ
2011 LV#3 2nd Place
2012 LV Classic League Champ

Moonlight Graham

Post by Moonlight Graham » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:13 am

Gekko,

But using your example, Boss would only be pulled from the lineup if he was on a bye or out. Plus, Cooley (using your example) is also out so he could not be put in.

That is how I interpreted it, but could be wrong.

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:15 am

Originally posted by Gekko:
quote:Originally posted by Moonlight Graham:
Gekko,

Thanks for the feedback. Unless I am understanding it wrong wouldn't Boss be replaced only if he himself were on a bye or designated as out/IR? Wouldn't we all know the rules and understand that each week players on bye or out/IR would not be in starting lineups? yes, you are misunderstanding what reman said "Why can't this automated Tuesday morning lineup be the highest averaging lineup among players that are not on BYE or listed as OUT?"

highest scoring average guys would populate the starting lineup as long as the players were not bye week or IR players.
[/QUOTE]And what happens the following week when Boss should be put back in?
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

Moonlight Graham

Post by Moonlight Graham » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:19 am

fantasy factor,

GREAT POINT! Thats the first legit negative I have seen. So if Boss is on a bye and the automated lineup on that Tuesday pulls him and puts in say Steve Heiden. The following week it would not pull Heiden and put Boss back in and assuming the owner abandoned the team, he would not put Boss back in either.

THANK YOU! That is the first legit negative I have seen regarding this idea.

TamuScarecrow

Post by TamuScarecrow » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:20 am

What happens if they both go on IR, FANBALL drops both of them and starts doing FA drop/adds? I think the term for this is, get a life.
2005 NY/CHI League Champ
2006 CHI#2 3rd Place
2006 Auction Reg Season Champ
2007 TAM#2 2nd Place
2007 Auction Reg Season Champ
2009 LV#5 League Champ
2010 Auction Reg Season Champ
2011 LV#3 2nd Place
2012 LV Classic League Champ

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:22 am

Matthew Stafford has a higher average now than Matt Ryan.

So the computer puts in Stafford vs WASH (162 yds/game) over Ryan vs TENN (272 yds/game).

Hope this ends the discussion on computer generated lineups based on averages.
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:23 am

Gekko,

But using your example, Boss would only be pulled from the lineup if he was on a bye or out. Plus, Cooley (using your example) is also out so he could not be put in.

That is how I interpreted it, but could be wrong. moonlight - you are still reading it wrong. if cooley's avg pts per game is 10 and boss's is 6, cooley will be populated in the starting lineup every tuesday morning (as long as cooley isn't on a bye or IR). reread what renman said.

Moonlight Graham

Post by Moonlight Graham » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:36 am

Gekko,

I see what you are saying. Though I agree with you that Remman was refering to players on "bye" or players we know are "out".. which in this case would mean IR. I think it was an idea that was just thrown out there to instigate discussion.

It seems that given the vague way players are listed with regard to being in our out this may be a tough concept to implement. Though it obviously would work with bye week players.

Maybe it just gets limited to bye week players?

[ November 25, 2009, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: Moonlight Graham ]

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:06 am

Originally posted by FantasyFactor:
And while KJ posts that 99% of these are guilty up front, I know from 25 years that only 10% are truly guilty of quitting when these things happen.

You misinterpret my 99% John. That is pct of time those who make excuses could've done something if they chose to, not those who simply made a mistake. And I'd agree the accidental could be as high or higher than the abandoned issue, but I'd also bet that the "accidental" happens a lot more often on teams that can't win money. (Which begs the question, "accidental or indifferent?") ;)

[ November 25, 2009, 04:09 PM: Message edited by: KJ Duke ]